PDA

View Full Version : DHS investigating employee caught trying to enter building with weapons

HCM
06-23-2016, 12:46 AM
DHS investigating employee caught trying to enter building with weapons, officials say

Federal investigators confirmed to Fox News on Wednesday that they are looking into what motivated a Department of Homeland Security employee with top-secret clearance to walk into the agency’s Washington headquarters carrying a gun, a knife, an infrared camera, pepper spray and handcuffs.

Jonathan Wienke, an analyst in the Office of Intelligence and Analysis, allegedly carried the weapons into the building on the morning of June 9.

Court documents filed by the federal government state that investigators have probable cause to believe Wienke "was conspiring with another to commit workplace violence, and more particularly may have been conspiring or planning to commit violence against senior DHS officials in the building," the Associated Press reported.

The federal government searched his home in Martinsburg, West Virginia, a 75-mile commute from the office. In the affidavit for the search warrant, Department of Homeland Security Special Agent Eric Mann described the series of events that led the government to suspect Wienke was potentially plotting an attack.

At 7:30 a.m. on June 9, Wienke entered the building, which has a security level on par with the White House and the Pentagon, according to Mann's affidavit. Security measures include random screening at the door; Wienke was selected and his backpack was placed in a screening machine.

Security officers found a folding knife with a 3-inch blade, two hand-held radios, pepper spray, an infrared camera and a set of handcuffs, among other items, the affidavit states. The officers seized the knife and spray.

At 9 a.m. Mann and another officer followed up with Wienke at his cubicle, directly across from where senior officials were meeting, the documents say.

He gave them permission to search him and denied he was carrying any additional weapons, the affidavit alleges. Mann wrote that he patted Wienke down and discovered a five-shot revolver loaded with .22-caliber hollow-point rounds in the front pocket of his pants. He wrote that he heard Wienke "utter an audible expletive."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/22/dhs-investigating-employee-caught-trying-to-enter-building-with-weapons-officials-say.html?intcmp=hplnws

Josh Runkle
06-23-2016, 12:58 AM
Sounds to me like he lived in WV and had a 75 minute commute and went a little overboard when weighing risk/benefits.

The Apprentice
06-23-2016, 06:24 AM
Sounds to me like he lived in WV and had a 75 minute commute and went a little overboard when weighing risk/benefits.

I would tend to agree with you if it wasn't for the two hand held radios that seems fishy to me.

TGS
06-23-2016, 07:34 AM

Not when he is carrying on his person the two radios, IR camera and handcuffs.

Chance
06-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Doesn't sound like a mass violence kit. Sounds like he was going to jump someone, drag them to the restroom, and hold them hostage. Bad spy novel stuff.

TGS
06-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Doesn't sound like a mass violence kit. Sounds like he was going to jump someone, drag them to the restroom, and hold them hostage. Bad spy novel stuff.

Perhaps another botched rescue attempt?

Nephrology
06-23-2016, 08:32 AM

I AM ON A MISSION

ONE OF OUR OWN is in TROUBLE

SHE is stuck, held against her WILL

FILLING OUT PAPERWORK - WITHOUT OT PAY!

Will we allow BUREAUCRATIC BURDEN to POISON our LOVED ONES??

It Is Time To Say...

ENOUGH is ENOUGH

Chance
06-23-2016, 08:37 AM

If he pulled up in this, they should have caught him in the parking lot.

Mr Pink
06-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Not when he is carrying on his person the two radios, IR camera and handcuffs.Oh, so now it's against the law to talk on ham radios, take night photos and get kinky with his significant other? :cool:

BehindBlueI's
06-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Oh, so now it's against the law to talk on ham radios, take night photos and get kinky with his significant other? :cool:

http://data.whicdn.com/images/42187721/large.jpg

HCM
06-23-2016, 03:32 PM
A 5 shot .22 revolver doesn't strike me as 1st choice for an Army Vet for a mass shooting.

Two questions -
1) Was this guy just a holster sniffer / wanna be Agent?
2) Was the NAC his normal assignment or was he sent over there to do busy work ? Possibly because of other issues ?