PDA

View Full Version : Tanaglio Gold Match or Gold Match Extreme

Larks
06-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Hi, new user (in Australia) and interested in any feedback or opinions that anyone may have on Tanfoglio semi auto's in general and, in particular, in the Gold Match ( http://www.tanfoglio.com.au/c/121/gold-match.html )
http://www.tanfoglio.com.au/UserFiles/6186-Files/image/goldmatch2.jpg
and Gold Match Extreme ( http://www.tanfoglio.com.au/c/206/gold-match-xtreme.html ) pistols.
http://www.tanfoglio.com.au/images/GMX.jpg

I am looking at these for NRA Action match - in .38 Super, initially to shoot Production division but with the option to modify reasonably easily for Open division without the (currently beyond my budget) expense of having one built up from scratch.

So I'm wondering if anyone is really able to quantify what the difference may be between these two pistols - or is able to interpret the sales blurb in the web links to decipher whether the differences are worth the (roughly) AUD500.00 price jump to the Extreme? I know the blurb's read differently but I can't determine how much of that is just sales pitch and how much is qualifiable/quantifiable upgrades on the extreme version.

I have heard great reports on the Gold Match and I actually prefer the look of it to the Extreme, so I am inclined towards that but don't want to dismiss the Extreme if it really offers more bang for my buck.

Any advice, comments, quips or general discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Handy
06-22-2016, 11:59 PM
Not a ton of Tanfoglio love here because the US distributor is so bad. Hopefully someone here has some experience with those models anyway.

Larks
06-23-2016, 02:02 AM
Not a ton of Tanfoglio love here because the US distributor is so bad. Hopefully someone here has some experience with those models anyway.

Thanks for the response Handy. Yes, I got that impression about the US distributor from what I've been able to find on Tanfoglio on the web, which is a real shame. Makes me wonder whether the distributor is reading any of these forums and perhaps doing anything about it.

Nephrology
06-23-2016, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the response Handy. Yes, I got that impression about the US distributor from what I've been able to find on Tanfoglio on the web, which is a real shame. Makes me wonder whether the distributor is reading any of these forums and perhaps doing anything about it.

Not likely... CZ-USA has done a pretty good job here in the US and produces a lot of great guns that are pretty similar to the Tanfo. I do know of a few people who shoot Tanfos for USPSA, but certainly not a large number.

john c
06-23-2016, 05:39 PM
You might ask this question on the Brian Enos forum. It has a dedicated Tanfoglio section, and an active forum. The entire forum is based on action pistol shooting.

Out of curiosity, why .38 super? Have you considered 9mm major or .40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larks
06-23-2016, 08:52 PM
You might ask this question on the Brian Enos forum. It has a dedicated Tanfoglio section, and an active forum. The entire forum is based on action pistol shooting.

Out of curiosity, why .38 super? Have you considered 9mm major or .40?

Thanks John, I'll check out that forum. Re the .38 Super, I had considered 9mm and tossed up between the two at length and, although 9mm seems to be the most prolific caliber at our club for IPSC, the .38 seems to be the popular choice for action match and as I have quite a lot of .38 lead for reloading my S&W 686 I'm drawn more towards that caliber.

john c
06-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Thanks John, I'll check out that forum. Re the .38 Super, I had considered 9mm and tossed up between the two at length and, although 9mm seems to be the most prolific caliber at our club for IPSC, the .38 seems to be the popular choice for action match and as I have quite a lot of .38 lead for reloading my S&W 686 I'm drawn more towards that caliber.

The nominal bore diameter for .38 super is .356, though in practice manufacturers use the same barrel blanks for both 9mm and 38 super for a nominal .355 bore. You may want to slug your bore once you get your pistol. If it comes out fatter, load up your .358 lead. If not, look for .356 lead for 9mm. You'll have the same likelihood as 9mm, which often can be loaded with 125 gr .358 bullets with great success. Beretta is known for having wider 9mm bores, and .358 bullets shoot great through them. I can't comment on Tanfoglio more dimensions, never having slugged one.

Good luck!

Larks
06-24-2016, 01:26 AM
The nominal bore diameter for .38 super is .356, though in practice manufacturers use the same barrel blanks for both 9mm and 38 super for a nominal .355 bore. You may want to slug your bore once you get your pistol. If it comes out fatter, load up your .358 lead. If not, look for .356 lead for 9mm. You'll have the same likelihood as 9mm, which often can be loaded with 125 gr .358 bullets with great success. Beretta is known for having wider 9mm bores, and .358 bullets shoot great through them. I can't comment on Tanfoglio more dimensions, never having slugged one.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice John, very much appreciated.

Larks
06-25-2016, 05:04 AM
FWIW, I've gone ahead and ordered the Tanfoglio Gold Match in .38 super.

john c
06-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Great choice, Larks. If you want to experiment with 9mm, a barrel will likely drop in to your slide. The magazines will work, too.

Larks
06-26-2016, 04:51 AM
Great choice, Larks. If you want to experiment with 9mm, a barrel will likely drop in to your slide. The magazines will work, too.

Well that's interesting to know, thanks John - I'll follow that up.