PDA

View Full Version : New to handguns, sighting question.

new2this
06-22-2016, 03:32 PM
This is my first post. I just joined this forum today. I just bought a new FNS 9C and took it to the range today. I love the way the gun feels. I put 150 rounds through it, and grouped well left to right, but with the factory sights holding level across the top I was 2" to 3" low at10 yards. Has anyone else experienced the same issue? What can I do to fix this?
Thanks!!

HCM
06-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Are you aiming using dots or using the post and notch sight picture ?

The top edge of the front sight post should level with the top edge of the front sight.

Also have you had an experience shooter fire the gun? Low shots can be the result of recoil anticipation, also known as pre-ignition push.

Some wisdom from the late founder of P-F.com.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1358

PS- We miss you ToddG.

RJ
06-22-2016, 04:31 PM
This is my first post. I just joined this forum today. I just bought a new FNS 9C and took it to the range today. I love the way the gun feels. I put 150 rounds through it, and grouped well left to right, but with the factory sights holding level across the top I was 2" to 3" low at10 yards. Has anyone else experienced the same issue? What can I do to fix this?
Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to be.

I won't be much help, but there are a buncha guys here who are. Things they might ask are:

- Can you post a picture of the target you are using?
- Does the owners manual for your pistol provide any guidance for what sight picture to use, and are you using it?
- Has anyone else shot the pistol, and if so, what were their results?
- Have you fired it off a rest?

I'm no expert by any stretch, but 3" at 10 yards sounds like a lot. I have learned by observing quite a few 'accuracy' threads that it is pretty rare for it to be 'the gun', though. Hope you get some good advice. :)

new2this
06-22-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm using the post and notch sight picture, when doing so the three dots do line up also. It is closer to 2" lower not 3". Thanks for the advise.

Pennzoil
06-22-2016, 06:05 PM
You're in the right place.

I'd recommend sharing your general location and maybe someone could recommend a good local trainer for you. Then you can learn good fundamentals before building a bunch of bad habits. Wish I did this.

RJ
06-22-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm using the post and notch sight picture, when doing so the three dots do line up also. It is closer to 2" lower not 3". Thanks for the advise.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear.

In the diagram, which sight picture do you use to align the sights with the center of the bull?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160622/615ecbba0fb173d2be4b2d24dfbe5a30.jpg

Second the idea of good training. I also wish I'd done that. I have finally (just about) cured my low and away groups after two years of range shooting and daily/regular dry practice.

Paul Sharp
06-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear.

In the diagram, which sight picture do you use to align the sights with the center of the bull?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160622/615ecbba0fb173d2be4b2d24dfbe5a30.jpg

Second the idea of good training. I also wish I'd done that. I have finally (just about) cured my low and away groups after two years of range shooting and daily/regular dry practice.

When we T&E'd the FNS9 the guns seemed to prefer sight image 3. Drive the dot, the rounds go where they're supposed to go.

Josh Runkle
06-22-2016, 06:45 PM
I will also agree with the statements about quality training. I "thought" I knew what I was doing because I shot all the time. Little did I know how many bad habits I was building. I spent so much time undoing bad habits. Definitely get with a reputable trainer and build some solid fundamentals. Just because a trainer is famous doesn't mean they're reputable!

new2this
06-22-2016, 08:04 PM
I use sight picture #2.

Handy
06-22-2016, 08:24 PM
I use sight picture #2.

It should be #3, but I have run into people at IDPA that swear that the FNs shoot terribly low even they use the correct sight picture.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/tyler-kee/gun-review-fns-9/

The sight alignment this guy was using at 7 yards would still not hit center if he had been driving the dot. I think this might be a real problem with these guns.

Robinson
06-23-2016, 07:30 AM
I prefer sight picture #2 as well, but it seems many pistols today come from the factory with sights regulated for #3. I'd say try using sight picture #3 and see where that puts you. If that corrects the problem, then decide if you are willing to adjust to using that sight picture or not. If not, you will need to either install different sights if available or go to a different pistol.

I have all of my personal guns set up for sight picture #2. Some of them have an adjustable rear sight.

RJ
06-23-2016, 10:17 AM
^^^ That is a good point. (Having all personal guns set up the same. )

My VP9 uses #3, but my Walther PPS uses #2.

Every range session where I change pistols, I forget and have to squint at the target to figure out why my groups are high or low.

Then it is a head smack, "Of course!" moment, then I make the adjustment.

I really hadn't thought about it until just now, that maybe having two primary pistols (carry gun, game gun) with two sight different pictures is not such a hot idea.