PDA

View Full Version : Praetor Defense holster review

wicked_police
11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I recently got a new OWB holster and mag pouch, made by Praetor Defense. It's a new line put out by a well known LE officer/shooter/competitor in cooperation with Blade-tech. Designed as a concealed carry holster, it's not typical of the Blade-tech holsters I've previously used.

First off, the packaging. Similar to Blade-tech, it's well packaged, easy to see and get at. Once out of the package, the holster feels solid and well built. The holster and mag pouch are both made of 2 pieces of molded kydex, formed and fitted exactly to the firearm and magazine. It's also curved to hug the body, keeping the gun tight against the body for maximum concealment. The holster also has a tension screw to adjust it to the gun. So the packaging is nice, it looks and feels well built, how does it work?

The belt loops measured 1.75", so I put on a suitable belt, strapped on the single mag pouch and holster, and hit the range. With an empty pistol, I did a few dry draws and re-holstering. The gun is almost straight up, with very little cant, which happens to be how I prefer to carry concealed. Once I made sure the gun went in and out of the holster with no problems, I set up some drills, loaded my gun, and started.

This is a terrific holster. I've used Blade-tech holsters in IDPA and IPSC competition, and due to the way the Praetor fit (closer to the body for better concealment), felt that it would be a bit slower to get the first shot off. I was mistaken. The difference in time to get my first shot off with the Praetor holster compared to the Blade-tech was insignificant. And this was my first time using Praetor. The mag pouch was also great. Like the holster, it keeps the mag in tight to the body, but still allows the proper grip and indexing of the mag when loading. Shooting from different positions, as well as some impromptu sprints and jumps showed the mag (and holster) kept the equipment secure. It's a fine balance between keeping the equipment tight and secure from falling out when doing every day activities, and allowing you a fast draw, and the Praetor holster and mag pouch have found that balance.

After trying it on the range, I wore the holster and mag pouch at 'edited'

The holster and mag pouch worked so well on the range, that I decided to use them for the Ontario IDPA Provincial Championships. This would be my first time competing in IDPA Provincials, so not having to worry about my holster working properly was a huge load off my mind. I competed in Stock Service Pistol, in the Expert Class. After a long day of shooting, I ended up 1st in my division and class, as well as 4th overall. The Praetor holster was definitely a factor in my performance and results.

After using the holster on the range, in competition, and for daily carry, I can't recommend it enough. A couple other benefits over other offerings in the market.... The price is amazing. I was shocked when I saw how little it costs, compared to how much it gives you. The other thing is availability. You won't wait months to get your hands on one!

I'll get some pics up in the next couple days, but google praetor defense to find the gear.

wicked_police
11-04-2011, 07:58 AM
pics (taken with iphone, apologies for the lighting and composition, photography is definitely not my forte...)
Top view.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3616/photo3ib.jpg

Back view of the belt loops.
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5531/photo5ko.jpg

It also fits RDS equipped pistols without modifications.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9167/photo7qi.jpg

And, they make AR mag pouches as well. I haven't had a chance to really use it, but wearing it around and trying different mags show's it's built to the same quality as the holster and pistol mag pouch. It also fits the different mags I have on hand (Pmag, aluminum mags, HK, and Lancers. The other bonus for the AR mag pouch is the user can choose which way to carry the mag, bullets forward or backward. The mag slides in both ways, and is held with no chance of slipping or falling out.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/608/photo8fo.jpg

Occam's Razor
11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I've been extremely pleased with the Blade-Tech holsters I've used. The Eclipse is my normal EDC. The only issue I've had is with keeping screws tightened up. But nothing a little Loc-Tite can fix.

Maple Syrup Actual
11-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Hmm...may check out their AR mag holders.

jetfire
11-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I have had a similarly positive experience with Praetor Defense holsters, as have other people I know. The only complaint I have about the mag pouch (and the holster to a certain extent) is that it's a stone cold bitch to try and get that thing off a kydex reinforced leather belt like the Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech belts I prefer. I'd like the belt loops to be a little further back from the body of the holster, but otherwise I have no complaints.

wicked_police
11-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I'd like the belt loops to be a little further back from the body of the holster, but otherwise I have no complaints.

I know exactly what you mean. The positive is how tight it holds the gun and mag to the body, which is great for concealment. The downside, like you mention, is a limitation in the belt you can use.

Lon
11-04-2011, 03:35 PM
I have had a similarly positive experience with Praetor Defense holsters, as have other people I know. The only complaint I have about the mag pouch (and the holster to a certain extent) is that it's a stone cold bitch to try and get that thing off a kydex reinforced leather belt like the Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech belts I prefer. I'd like the belt loops to be a little further back from the body of the holster, but otherwise I have no complaints.

I cant tell from the pics, but if the holster is like others I've seen, that a pretty easy fix with some longer screws and a couple of scrap pieces of kydex or even some rubber tubing used as spacers between the holster and the loops. Ive done that on a holster of mine before so I could get my Cobra belt through it easier.

jetfire
11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Just looked at mine, and that would totally work. It's worth noting however that the holster only is hard to get on and off of kydex reinforced leather belts. If you use a fabric belt like a 5.11/Blackhawk/Ares then you won't have any issues.