PDA

View Full Version : Any downside to rmr02 on g19?

Colby
06-21-2016, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking of adding a rmr02 to my gen 4 g19. Other than cost and maybe a tad less conceal ability is there any downside to doing it ?
Thanks
Colby

Josh Runkle
06-21-2016, 11:28 PM
I've just started using an rmr (but a different one). I had read from a lot of experienced users that I should use a cowitnessed set of sights for the "wash out" effects.

The issue that I am having as a new user is that my eye grabs the front sight faster than the dot, based upon the fact that I am used to feeling that same grip, raising it to the same eye level at high speed and finding that front sight. I can't seem to see the dot before the front sight.

The point is: for me, there seems to be a steep learning curve. YMMV.

OnionsAndDragons
06-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Is there a specific reason you are looking at the RM02?

I believe the consensus has favored the adjustable models after the first revisions.

I had an 02 on a Glock for a while. My experience was that I liked the concept, but didn't like the dot size. I didn't get much from the optic at sub 15 yard range, and the dot size felt cumbersome past 30 or so. Were I to do it again, which I am considering, I would get the RM06.

I am of the opinion that if you are inclined to put a good bit of time in working on presenting the gun to the dot, the only downside is expense. It really doesn't impact concealment in a significant way, and it can massively improve distance accuracy and transitions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DocGKR
06-22-2016, 12:46 AM
Ran an RMR02 on a G19 for the first three years of RDS use; then switched to an RMR06 on a G19 for the next three years. I'd strongly recommend an RMR06 and possibly an RMR07.

GJM
06-22-2016, 01:40 AM
Ran an RMR02 on a G19 for the first three years of RDS use; then switched to an RMR06 on a G19 for the next three years. I'd strongly recommend an RMR06 and possibly an RMR07.

My original RMR sights were the 02, and they ran fine. However, the 06 is so much better, they would have to almost give me the 02 to take it, and I still would probably pay for an 06. With the 06, you have a smaller dot, that you can make larger by increasing intensity. You can turn the dot off for extended storage or working with just your iron sights. And, you can tune the dot intensity, for conditions where the 02 dot is too bright or too dim. Gary was right on the 06.

krav51
06-22-2016, 05:04 AM
My original RMR sights were the 02, and they ran fine. However, the 06 is so much better, they would have to almost give me the 02 to take it, and I still would probably pay for an 06. With the 06, you have a smaller dot, that you can make larger by increasing intensity. You can turn the dot off for extended storage or working with just your iron sights. And, you can tune the dot intensity, for conditions where the 02 dot is too bright or too dim. Gary was right on the 06.

Im a big fan of the 02 on my g19.I prefer not having the adjustment buttons that can be pushed by accident,and for my eyes the 6.5 moa is perfect.Since i store it in a dark safe when not on my belt i don't need to worry about turning it on and off.Nice to have choices.

Colby
06-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Thanks for info guys. I'll look more at the other models before I jump into it.

DocGKR
06-22-2016, 08:28 AM
"Gary was right on the 06."

Almost like the handgun mounted RDS were evaluated in a wide variety of situations during duty and off-duty use by multiple individuals before coming to that conclusion....

On another note, we just had one of our RMR02's originally installed battery finally die after 5.5 years of continuous use.

krav51
06-24-2016, 05:00 AM
Almost like the handgun mounted RDS were evaluated in a wide variety of situations during duty and off-duty use by multiple individuals before coming to that conclusion....

On another note, we just had one of our RMR02's originally installed battery finally die after 5.5 years of continuous use.

That's amazing! After replacing the battery does the dot need to be re zeroed or do the mounting screws locate it back in the same position?
thanks

DocGKR
06-24-2016, 10:20 AM
In general, when replacing the batteries on an RMR, the zero is remains close (close enough for gov't work as the old sage states), but may require a bit of tweaking for absolute precision.

DocSabo40
06-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Colby, I'm not sure if you meant the RM02 specifically or a red dot in general. If it's the latter, I have my own very limited experience to add. I had an RM06 on a G19 with trijicon suppressor sights. I found the sight picture visually very "busy". The RMR body is fairly thick and obscures part of your view, the backup sights take up a fair chunk of the already small RMR window, and the tint of the RMR is fairly dark which makes it harder to see the target than without the RMR in low light.

Everyone has covered the positives of the RMR many times, and I found those to be true as well. But for me and my eyes, the above issues made it kind of a chore to go shooting with it. I am not an expert, and I only had the RMR/G19 for 1,500 rounds and 5 range trips, 3 of which were indoors.