PDA

View Full Version : What is the cause of ejection direction changing?

Mitchell, Esq.
11-02-2011, 10:00 PM
What is the cause of ejection direction changing?

About once every hundred rounds brass comes straight back and hits me in the face.

It hasn't done that in the past, or if it did, it wasn't noticed.

Glock 19, 3rd gen, and yes the recoil spring is recently replaced. Extractor has aproximately 1,000 rounds on it, extractor depressor asembly & spring is original.

Ammo is WWB.

Is this an indication of a problem, wear or should I just not worry about it?

Nephrology
11-03-2011, 07:55 AM
have you noticed this problem before, or is it recent?

I have seen with erratically loaded cheaper ammunition like Wolf or Brown Bear. I would count WWB in this category too.

Mechanically speaking it could be one of 2 things:

1. Wear on your ejector face over time. Possible but frankly unlikely.
2. Friction between your slide and the barrel messing with the timing of the action as it unlocks. Believe it or not, glocks do run better clean and with ever so slight amounts of lubrication. Friction between the barrel, barrel lugs, etc and the slide can ever so slightly throw off the timing of the slide as it goes rearward during recoil causing the spent brass to hit the ejector face with less momentum than usual.

I am not a department wide armorer or anything but I have done a fair amount of, well, frankly mostly basic maintenance for my buddy's weapons and they all simply needed cleaning. Glocks really don't NEED much, if any at all, but it can solve some issues like failure to return to battery, for example.

Mitchell, Esq.
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I guess it's time for a non-clorinated brake cleaner spray out...

Zhurdan
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Not critiquing your shooting abilities, but if it's an intermittent problem...

Have you changed how you grip the gun?
Could it be a shooting fatigue issue?
Does it do it at the beginning of a session or near the end? (related to above)

Mitchell, Esq.
11-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Not critiquing your shooting abilities, but if it's an intermittent problem...

Have you changed how you grip the gun?
Could it be a shooting fatigue issue?
Does it do it at the beginning of a session or near the end? (related to above)

Grip can be a factor in this?

Zhurdan
11-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Why not? If the gun is torquing in a different manner due to a fatigued grip, I'd think it wouldn't come off the extractor the same. Just spitballin', but if inconsistent grip can cause malfunctions, why not?

Wayne Dobbs
11-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Mitchell, Esq.,

Glock extraction and ejection can be very problematic and is mostly related to marginal extractor performance. The extractor must grip the fired case adequately during the recoil cycle so that the case is held firmly against the breechface for presentation to the ejector. This isn't happening in lots of guns and that is displayed by erratic ejection patterns and malfunctions.

This drop in part has taken care of the problems on a couple of my Gen 3 G-19s:

http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html

I would give it a try and see if it works for you. Read their tech bulletin about the part also for some solid information about what's taking place during the recoil cycle with that fired case...it's a bit eye opening.

Also, make sure you're using decent ammo. Lots of the lower cost ammo is loaded to lower velocities and/or is inconsistent in velocity which will cause some erratic performance.

Hope this helps!

Wayne

JHC
11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
For some radical new (AFAIK) thoughts on these matters in general, check out Randy Lee's latest posts on this at M4C. He is talking about LOWERING ejection ports a la 1911 and the variability of the mass of the shooter ie 230 pounder vs his 155.

Mitchell, Esq.
11-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Mitchell, Esq.,

Glock extraction and ejection can be very problematic and is mostly related to marginal extractor performance. The extractor must grip the fired case adequately during the recoil cycle so that the case is held firmly against the breechface for presentation to the ejector. This isn't happening in lots of guns and that is displayed by erratic ejection patterns and malfunctions.

This drop in part has taken care of the problems on a couple of my Gen 3 G-19s:

http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html

I would give it a try and see if it works for you. Read their tech bulletin about the part also for some solid information about what's taking place during the recoil cycle with that fired case...it's a bit eye opening.

Also, make sure you're using decent ammo. Lots of the lower cost ammo is loaded to lower velocities and/or is inconsistent in velocity which will cause some erratic performance.
Hope this helps!

Wayne

RE Ammo: I should really get a few hundred rounds of NATO ball ammo and shoot it before I switch anything, shouldn't I...

If the issue is only with WWB, then does it really matter?

JHC
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
RE Ammo: I should really get a few hundred rounds of NATO ball ammo and shoot it before I switch anything, shouldn't I...

IMO it is worth doing something along those lines to narrow your scope. FWIW I found Speer 124 grain Blazer to be about as consistent as NATO and also FWIW, in 18K rds of 9mm since Spring 2010 the only stonings to the forehead came from a 100 rd ValuePak of WWB.

ToddG
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
check out Randy Lee's latest posts on this at M4C.

Link?

JV_
11-04-2011, 05:29 PM
This is interesting:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1135265&postcount=488

Zhurdan
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Nahhhh.

This is interesting:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1135265&postcount=488

Mass of the shooter? How about the stability of the item behind the gun, to include shooter weight, stance, grip, strength?

**Edit** Just re-read what I posted. Working on about 4 hours of sleep in the past two days. My wife was in a car accident and I've been staying up nights with her (concussion). Sorry if that sounded snippy.

Nephrology
11-04-2011, 05:53 PM

It could be a number of things but honestly just because your gun *can* run WWB or Wolf (which I do through my Glocks all the time, hehe) but you also can't expect brilliant performance out of it.

Some hot 9mm like whatever winchester's NATO stuff is can at least reassure you that this own't happen with proper stout 9mm. Also try some normal pressure stuff too, it doesn't have to be +P... but 115gr, cheaper ammo = more variable powder loads and typically shittier powder. This can result in slightly underpowered rounds which will definitely eject with less force than decent ammo.

If this happened with, say, your carry ammo, I would be much more worried.