PDA

View Full Version : Not the time to be in Oaktown

luckyman
06-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Ugh. 3rd police chief in 9 days, now run by civilians

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oakland-chief-figueroa-out-20160617-snap-story.html

Gray222
06-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Ugh. 3rd police chief in 9 days, now run by civilians

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oakland-chief-figueroa-out-20160617-snap-story.html

Shit-show in the making.

They are going to have a difficult time getting what they want since police departments don't generally run the way political leaders want them to.

txdpd
06-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Shit-show in the making.

They are going to have a difficult time getting what they want since police departments don't generally run the way political leaders want them to.

I don't think that politicians or the public expecting police officers to not engage in sex with minor, prostitution, child prostitution or providing information regarding on going criminal investigations to potential suspects is an unreasonable expectation. There's something very wrong there that they are even in a position to receive those allegations. The department can't police itself and needs to be under control of someone outside that department. If a tiny fraction of whats alleged is true they need to some serious top to bottom house cleaning and some serious soul searching.

Gray222
06-18-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't think that politicians or the public expecting police officers to not engage in sex with minor, prostitution, child prostitution or providing information regarding on going criminal investigations to potential suspects is an unreasonable expectation. There's something very wrong there that they are even in a position to receive those allegations. The department can't police itself and needs to be under control of someone outside that department. If a tiny fraction of whats alleged is true they need to some serious top to bottom house cleaning and some serious soul searching.

If this PD is anything like any other PD, mere allegations of wrong doing are enough for top brass to leave/quit/be fired by a mayor whose discretion it is to appoint a new chief. If any of those officers were actually involved in the alleged crimes, then they would be charged - these types of investigations regularly are either done by an outside agency or the state police. It is very rare that the top brass is investigated by their own department (which is why most top brass are complete and utter POS's not worthy of the position or badge), and even more rare to see a top brass be charged after an investigation. So you'll have to excuse my hesitation to throw anyone of them to the fire immediately, as I've seen this type of thing go on and its either a complete power grab by another politician/top brass for the top spot or a way for the mayor to remove someone who she doesn't get along with without looking weak and just firing that person.

What I see is the media trying to pin the tail on the cop while not reporting the whole truth and allowing the mayor to do as she pleases with a police department she isn't qualified to control, essentially playing with the day to day safety of the very people who voted for her.

Hambo
06-19-2016, 06:34 AM
I'm fine with cops getting fired for cause or criminally charged. What I'm stuck on is the Jerry Springer-esque part: mom of the underage prostitute (who has a pimp) is a dispatcher for the city.

Gray222
06-19-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm fine with cops getting fired for cause or criminally charged. What I'm stuck on is the Jerry Springer-esque part: mom of the underage prostitute (who has a pimp) is a dispatcher for the city.

Yeah everyone is fine with anyone being fired charged for committing crimes. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone involved in this actually arrested just allegations.

As I stated there seems to be more to it that the media isn't posting because it probably doesn't make the cops look bad.

Robert Mitchum
06-20-2016, 03:12 AM
Oaktown

HCM
06-20-2016, 03:24 AM
Shit-show in the making.

Oakland has been a shot show for a long time. OPD in particular since the federal consent decree.

It used to remind me of "Old Detroit" from robo cop and ist gin down hill since then .,,

Lex Luthier
06-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Oaktown

Cripes. I thought it was the back up dancers for GWAR.

HCM
06-20-2016, 06:31 PM
This is from 2006. Things have since deteriorated.

http://youtu.be/GrMBMJ2VlnY