PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 Pro?

GOP
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey,

are the M&P9 Pro's still having accuracy issues at 25m? I recently picked up a M&P40 for super cheap and love the ergonomics (I'm a lefty so the ambi controls are big for me). I really want to pick up a M&P9 Pro to compete with, but don't want one if they are still iffy on accuracy. Is there serial numbers, production dates, or something similar to help see if a M&P9 is good to go? Are there aftermarket parts available to alleviate the accuracy issues on the M&P9's? Sorry to waste space asking this question, but was just curious what the deal was before I spent $550 on a gun I'm not certain of.

Thanks,
Mike

JV_
11-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I wasn't aware the Pro series, with the longer barrel, suffered from the same unlocking problem.

They aren't nearly as popular as the regular M&P9, so there are far fewer data points.

Savage Hands
11-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Apex Tactical should have their Bar-Sto made barrels by Shot Show, accuracy will not be a problem after that.

Bratch
11-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I haven't had any problems with my Pros.

JRL
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I have a 9L (same length as the pro) that I haven't noticed any problems with.

JHC
11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I wasn't aware the Pro series, with the longer barrel, suffered from the same unlocking problem.

They aren't nearly as popular as the regular M&P9, so there are far fewer data points.

With the root cause being early unlocking before the slug clears the bore, the longer barrel may tend to be more profoundly challenged. Mine was. The best group I ever saw with numerous loads tried was about 5" rested at 25 yards, about the time I was shooting rested groups at 25 like my avatar in a Gen 4 17. So I kept one, not the other. And those larger groups tracked pretty high at 25 yds. I don't think S&W has changed anything to remedy this yet.

Seems not all specimens suffer from it to the same degree. I've seen some comp shooters on Enos' board report the factory giving them a new barrel with no change. Others reported aftermarket barrels really didn't help this. The Bar-Sto barrel is the anticipated real fix.

JV_
11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
the longer barrel may tend to be more profoundly challenged.

IIRC: The initial problem came about because they wanted to share the barrel with the regular gun and the new 9C, which needed a new design. I didn't know if there was 1 9mm barrel, and it was cut to length for the 3 guns, or if the regular 9 and the 9C were shared - with the Pro being a different design.

GJM
11-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Sample of one, but my Pro 9 shoots great. Been using it all week at Rogers.

JV_
11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Here is the history of the problem: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?924-M-amp-P-Bar-Sto-Barrel-from-Apex-Tactical-preview-pic&p=15061&viewfull=1#post15061

fuse
11-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Apex Tactical should have their Bar-Sto made barrels by Shot Show, accuracy will not be a problem after that.

Like saying "saab should have their Honda civic transmissions ready by the Chicago auto show, so driving your Honda civic won't be a problem after that."

Savage Hands
11-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Like saying "saab should have their Honda civic transmissions ready by the Chicago auto show, so driving your Honda civic won't be a problem after that."

Besides going out of your way to troll me across the net, it's well known that the problem is to a small percentage of M&P 9mm's, mainly the long slide version and some full size models. If the problem is serious then it can be sent back to S&W under warranty, if it's good but someone wants better than there is an option since he did ask about them. He asked about a theoretical problem for a gun he does not even own yet, the solution may be overkill for most but it will be there.

JV_
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
to a small percentage of M&P 9mm's, I'm not sure I agree with this. GermanSynergy and I had the issue with 4 out of 4 full size M&P 9s.

Most people never know they have a problem until they get further back in distance (20-30Y) ... and most shooters don't regularly shoot beyond 30'.

Savage Hands
11-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure I agree with this. GermanSynergy and I had the issue with 4 out of 4 full size M&P 9s.

Most people never know they have a problem until they get further back in distance (20-30Y) ... and most shooters don't regularly shoot beyond 30'.

Maybe you're right and there are more that have problems yet most people don't shoot that far out like people on this board.

ToddG
11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
While I know for a fact it was not a problem with every M&P9 FS gun, it certainly isn't uncommon. Now I'm curious to see if it happens with my wife's 9JG since I doubt we've ever shot it past 15yd.

GJM
11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Yesterday, as it was a back-up pistol to my Pro, I quickly shot a new VTAC 9 FS for accuracy, and with Winchester white box ball, POI didn't shift from 8-20 yards (the far target at Rogers), with an off hand group of 3-4 inches on the far target.

mongooseman
11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
No problems with the accuracy of my full sized 9mm at 25 yards.

iakdrago
11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
No problem with mine either--shooting 4 inches of hand at 25 yards, which is a little better than i shoot my glock. I have a feeling that the gun can shoot better than me, but i have not bench rested it.