PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Recommendations

Shotgun
06-15-2016, 11:25 AM
A little help please. Would like a suppressor for an AR-10 that I could possibly run on an AR-15 as well. There seem to be a lot of suppressor threads here, but browsing through them is confusing me with too many choices. Please recommend a top brand or two so that I can do some reading. I feel like a fish out of water on this subject -- kinda like a guy trying to shoot competitive Skeet with a pump gun.

Josh Runkle
06-15-2016, 11:31 AM
How many rounds do you plan to shoot out of it per year? In .308? In 5.56?

How many years do you want to have it for?

Is price an issue?

What type of barrel lengths will you be using?

What type of barrels will you be using? Lightweight? (Is weight a possible issue)

rob_s
06-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Based on the lack of information in the OP, get an Omega (https://silencerco.com/silencers/omega/).

There will be lots of other recommendations, lots of requests for more info, lots of roundabout, but in the end it really doesn't matter. Pick a can from a major manufacturer, who's been around for awhile under their current name, who makes more than a couple of cans, that has a <7.5" OAL, 1.5" Dia, <16 oz, 7.62 can with FH and brake mounts in 7.62 and 5.56 and you'll be fine. There is so much hair-splitting in the hobby suppressor market you'd think these companies all made razor-blades.

If you like numbers and charts and data, go here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDsKKkewMeMuTHAmjl9KebQbS6T2iPKxQePPGyVJjAY/edit?usp=sharing) and click the 7.62 tab at the bottom.

Shotgun
06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Dang, questions that I did not even know were relevant already.

How many rounds do you plan to shoot out of it per year? In .308? In 5.56? Low usage. No more than few hundred rounds of each/year. Of course, the fun factor is going to increase and the 5.56 may be shot a little more than that.

How many years do you want to have it for? Forever.

Is price an issue? I suppose so. I would very much like to have something for less than $500. But, I only plan on buying one if I can use just one on the two platforms. So, I could go up to the 800 range.

What type of barrel lengths will you be using? 20 on the AR-10 and 18 on the AR-15.

What type of barrels will you be using? Lightweight? (Is weight a possible issue) Standard barrels I suppose - neither bull nor lightweight.

Josh Runkle
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Dang, questions that I did not even know were relevant already.

How many rounds do you plan to shoot out of it per year? In .308? In 5.56? Low usage. No more than few hundred rounds of each/year. Of course, the fun factor is going to increase and the 5.56 may be shot a little more than that.

How many years do you want to have it for? Forever.

Is price an issue? I suppose so. I would very much like to have something for less than $500. But, I only plan on buying one if I can use just one on the two platforms. So, I could go up to the 800 range.

What type of barrel lengths will you be using? 20 on the AR-10 and 18 on the AR-15.

What type of barrels will you be using? Lightweight? (Is weight a possible issue) Standard barrels I suppose - neither bull nor lightweight.

So, you need a medium to light weight suppressor that is on the extremely cheap end of the expense scale (as .308 suppressors go) and you want it to last forever. The good news for the lifetime of the suppressor is that you're not planning on putting a lot of round through it.

You'll either have to modify what you want, as in, get a cheaper one that won't last forever, or spend twice as much and get a decent one that will last a long time. (Nothing really lasts forever)

rob_s
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM

IMO this will put you out of the running in terms of an interchangeable can. You *might* get away with this price point if you wanted a dedicated, direct-thread, 7.62 can, made of steel, from an iffy maker.

Or used.

Shotgun
06-15-2016, 11:55 AM
IMO this will put you out of the running in terms of an interchangeable can. You *might* get away with this price point if you wanted a dedicated, direct-thread, 7.62 can, made of steel, from an iffy maker.

Or used.

I was just looking at the Omega. Looks like I am going to have to readjust my thinking on price.

JSGlock34
06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
I picked up an AAC 7.62-SDN-6 for $500 back when AAC was having some difficulties. I predominately use it for .300 Blackout. Seems like AAC has solved their move issues and supply is flowing again (Silencershop has them for $632). There are certainly newer designs out there than the AAC but I'm satisfied with the purchase.

Singlestack Wonder
06-21-2016, 09:49 PM
The Rugged Surge 7.62 is definitely one to be considered (best of what Silencer Company offered plus updates). GTG for 5.56 and.30 cal.