PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Comp vs Micro for AR

flux
06-14-2016, 11:09 AM
For general shooting mostly 100 yards and under, and the odd steel plate past that, what is a better option for the 5.56 AR? Does the wider view of the comp help in any way?

DocGKR
06-14-2016, 12:20 PM
They essentially offer identical performance at the ranges you mention.

BES
06-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Flux, if you're really getting after it on the transitions the bigger FOV out of the Comp might do you a little better. I've had both on my ARs for mil and civ rifle compeitions, I see slightly better times with the big tube on the transitions and close stuff. Honestly though if that's not your concern, the difference is so negligible I'd go with whatever is the best price.

breakingtime91
06-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Flux, if you're really getting after it on the transitions the bigger FOV out of the Comp might do you a little better. I've had both on my ARs for mil and civ rifle compeitions, I see slightly better times with the big tube on the transitions and close stuff. Honestly though if that's not your concern, the difference is so negligible I'd go with whatever is the best price.

I found I shot my pro a litttlllleee bit better over the H1 but not enough to matter.

GJM
06-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Shooting the Accelerator, using both eyes open, I felt the T1 was faster for me, as the 30mm tube blocked more stuff down range as I was transitioning. If you close or squint one eye, I think the 30mm tube would be an advantage for wider FOV through the tube.

flux
06-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Thanks will get the H1 .

M2CattleCo
07-06-2016, 05:38 PM
I think the T2 is worth a look. It has a slight brown tint to the lens which is a lot better than the obnoxious blue tint that the T1s had. I think the T2 is clearer than the Comp M4. I have a couple of T2s, but I'm only good out to a hundred yards or so with 'em as I have astigmatism and the nice 2MOA dot is about an 8MOA blob that changes shape.

Luke
07-06-2016, 07:06 PM
I felt the T1...

GJM... I'm disappointed. You should know better than that!**

** see doc's sig line.

Unobtanium
07-08-2016, 04:32 AM
I have used the T1 and the comp M4s at various carbine courses, and not found a preference for one over the other. I did find a preference for dumping almost 10oz off my rifle with the T1, though. A LPV, however, is "worth the weight" IMO, due to clarity, magnification option, and etched reticle and adjustable diopter for varying eye conditions/people in many cases, though. The Comp M4s? If you are deploying to some 3rd world pest-hole where batteries don't exist, yeah, THAT is the way to go if you must have a RDS, but here in America, even a post Civil War II America, there will still be TONS of watches and key-fobs laying around that have CR2032's in 'em. Probably a more popular battery than the AA, because most things that take CR2032 are, by nature, very low drain, and much less "typical utility" than things that take AA's, like walkie-talkies, flashlights, you know... So even if zombie apocalypse fantasy is your thing, the T1/2 might actually hold a realistic advantage.

Wayne Dobbs
07-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Guys, if you're thinking Micro, think T-2 or H-2. Entirely new optics package, new emitter, new housing and optimized for use with a magnifier. (And Aimpoint has a new 3X commercial magnifier that MSRPs around $300 now). The T-2 is the best thing we're doing right now. If not a Micro, then the PRO, which I think is about the best performance sight at that price point that can be had. Feel free to PM Nyeti or I for any help on Aimpoint.

breakingtime91
07-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Guys, if you're thinking Micro, think T-2 or H-2. Entirely new optics package, new emitter, new housing and optimized for use with a magnifier. (And Aimpoint has a new 3X commercial magnifier that MSRPs around $300 now). The T-2 is the best thing we're doing right now. If not a Micro, then the PRO, which I think is about the best performance sight at that price point that can be had. Feel free to PM Nyeti or I for any help on Aimpoint.

Wayne, I have been feeling a h-2 but should I just save up more to get a T-2 to work with a magnifier?

Wayne Dobbs
07-08-2016, 11:01 AM
You don't have to do that. The T-2 is NV capable and the H-2 isn't. But....I think it's better to get the T-2 and its NV capability. We're just a few years from very affordable NV devices and the extra $70 or so dollars will be money well spent.

farscott
07-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Setting aside cost, how does the T-2 compare to the CompM4? I see the following:

1) CompM4 is more durable/robust against rough handling than the T-2.
2) T-2 is lighter and smaller.
3) CompM4 has larger FOV due to larger tube.
4) CompM4 uses any AA. T-2 uses CR2032.
5) CompM4 controls are better shielded than T-2.

Is that accurate? Missing anything?

CS Tactical
07-08-2016, 11:28 AM
With my astigmatism, I have less distortion from the new micro T2 and H2 that make them well worth the upgrade for me over the older models. I am personally to cheap to buy NV unlike others here so I went with the H2 :cool: We have many models in stock and can get one shipped out today if anyone is interested.

gqllc007
07-11-2016, 07:21 AM
I have 7 Aimpoint PRO's and see no need to go to any of their more expensive units except the T-2 if you want micro

rob_s
07-11-2016, 07:33 AM

The cost of the various mini-dots from Aimpoint is probably tough to swallow for a lot of people. H1s at $625 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Micro-Sight-Standard-Mount/dp/B007R6AF9Q), H2s at $710 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Micro-H-2-2MOA-200185/dp/B016P3B7PC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468240078&sr=8-1&keywords=aimpoint+h2) (although the T2 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Micro-Sight-Standard-Mount/dp/B00QJAH4TA) seems to be the same price?) , but I'd be inclined to agree with going witht he "2" models. What I'd really like to see is a micro "Pro".

In the meantime, I think the PRO is the way to go for first-time buyers. $450 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-PRO-Patrol-Rifle-Optic/dp/B007GDR0I4), includes serviceable mount, and the bigger tube is more forgiving of head position ("FOV" is meaningless in RDs IMO). That optic on a 6920 Magpul is my recommendation for first-time buyers right now since both will still have a use to even the future intelligentsia of shooting when they go full 1.x-Y on the boutique KAC or Hodge or whatever.

Wayne Dobbs
07-11-2016, 08:11 AM
What I'd really like to see is a micro "Pro"

Patience.....

farscott
07-11-2016, 09:22 AM
The cost of the various mini-dots from Aimpoint is probably tough to swallow for a lot of people. H1s at $625 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Micro-Sight-Standard-Mount/dp/B007R6AF9Q), H2s at $710 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Micro-H-2-2MOA-200185/dp/B016P3B7PC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468240078&sr=8-1&keywords=aimpoint+h2) (although the T2 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Micro-Sight-Standard-Mount/dp/B00QJAH4TA) seems to be the same price?) , but I'd be inclined to agree with going witht he "2" models. What I'd really like to see is a micro "Pro".

In the meantime, I think the PRO is the way to go for first-time buyers. $450 (https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-PRO-Patrol-Rifle-Optic/dp/B007GDR0I4), includes serviceable mount, and the bigger tube is more forgiving of head position ("FOV" is meaningless in RDs IMO). That optic on a 6920 Magpul is my recommendation for first-time buyers right now since both will still have a use to even the future intelligentsia of shooting when they go full 1.x-Y on the boutique KAC or Hodge or whatever.

I used to think that the Aimpoints were expensive, but then I looked at what I pay for scopes from companies with Aimpoint's reputation and service. When viewed through that prism, $850 for a CompM4 and a decent mount is a pretty good deal.

I am hesitant to purchase Aimpoint through Amazon as some people have reported receiving knock-offs when ordering through Amazon. I rather buy from a dedicated dealer, like the one in this thread.

rob_s
07-11-2016, 09:29 AM
I used to think that the Aimpoints were expensive, but then I looked at what I pay for scopes from companies with Aimpoint's reputation and service. When viewed through that prism, $850 for a CompM4 and a decent mount is a pretty good deal.

I am hesitant to purchase Aimpoint through Amazon as some people have reported receiving knock-offs when ordering through Amazon. I rather buy from a dedicated dealer, like the one in this thread.

I'm just using Amazon as a same/same pricing comparison.

I get what you're saying re: RDS vs conventional scopes, but $700+ is a hard pill to swallow compared to the $450 for the PRO.

HCM
07-11-2016, 09:56 AM
If you shop and or wait for sales you can find PRO's between $350 and $400. One of my co-workers bought one last year for $365.

breakingtime91
07-11-2016, 10:15 AM
with the new economy aimpoint magnifier coming out, it is really tempting for me to save for a T2 and complete my GP carbine with the magnifier and move the pro to my HD carbine..

ffhounddog
07-11-2016, 10:21 AM
I am waiting on the new Dept of State aimpoint optic to come out.

I as well like the Aimpoint Pro even though I have a CompM4 on my go to end of the world rifle...

Sasage
07-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Helluva deal on a used H1 in the sale forum btw

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
07-11-2016, 09:29 PM
If price is an issue, is there any reason not to go with the Aimpoint Carbine Optic? Price is even lower than the PRO. The included mount is not quick detach and is set up for absolute co-witness, but if either characteristic creates an issue, cost savings could go towards the mount of your choice. The CR 1/3N battery is a bit unique, but can be ordered online in decent quantities for reasonable prices.

Default.mp3
07-11-2016, 09:55 PM
If price is an issue, is there any reason not to go with the Aimpoint Carbine Optic? Price is even lower than the PRO. The included mount is not quick detach and is set up for absolute co-witness, but if either characteristic creates an issue, cost savings could go towards the mount of your choice. The CR 1/3N battery is a bit unique, but can be ordered online in decent quantities for reasonable prices.

On the ACO, I don’t recommend it, for just a few dollars more you can get the PRO and with that you get lens caps, a better mount, longer battery life and NVG capability.
20 USD difference if buying from Joe as a first responder.

Josh Runkle
07-11-2016, 10:29 PM

How's that work? It's stored offsite on someone else's personal gun?

Wayne Dobbs
07-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Just don't do that.

JSGlock34
07-12-2016, 08:19 AM

What's this?

And Aimpoint has a new 3X commercial magnifier that MSRPs around $300 now)

Wayne - any idea when the new magnifiers will hit the market for sale?

Wayne Dobbs
07-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Wayne - any idea when the new magnifiers will hit the market for sale?

Hopefully before the end of the summer. And, I think this thing will sell like crazy when it's here. The optical quality is way better than the price point. Also, there will be a 6X that has ultra high quality optics (at a commensurate price, too) that will appeal to the guys who want the best.

Wayne Dobbs
07-12-2016, 09:05 AM
What's this?

Like I said earlier, patience!

ffhounddog
07-12-2016, 12:58 PM

I agree with Wayne. It will be a game changer like the T1 was. Just we probally will not see it until late 2017/2018 for sale for none contract stuff.

Default.mp3
07-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Hopefully before the end of the summer. And, I think this thing will sell like crazy when it's here. The optical quality is way better than the price point. Also, there will be a 6X that has ultra high quality optics (at a commensurate price, too) that will appeal to the guys who want the best.How well do you think the 6x works for shooting at range, say, out to 500 meters on an 14.5" 5.56 AR? I feel like it'd be much harder to gauge both distance and drop with just a red dot and no hash marks for reference, but I've little experience shooting at range, so who knows.

CS Tactical
07-12-2016, 01:12 PM
In December, LAPG had the PRO for $360.40. That's a hard price to pass up.

For less than cost, I agree...

CS Tactical
07-12-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't know what cost is, but LAPGs usual price is $424. Last December they emailed out a 15% off code (LASTMIN15), I assume to clear out inventory before the end of the year. I posted (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18007-Black-Fridays-holidays-deals-thread&p=383676&viewfull=1#post383676) about it in the holiday deals thread last year. November and December are usually great times to buy gear.

Nobody here needs coupons with us, we'll attempt to give great pricing 24/7 of items we have in stock or can actually get :cool:

breakingtime91
07-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Nobody here needs coupons with us, we'll attempt to give great pricing 24/7 of items we have in stock or can actually get :cool:

how much are your pros or t2 going for?

CS Tactical
07-12-2016, 01:38 PM
how much are your pros or t2 going for?

PM incoming.

WobblyPossum
07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
PM incoming.

I'm also interested in picking up a PRO. Can you PM me your pricing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DpdG
07-12-2016, 03:13 PM

Can you say how much patience one should possess? Does this new hotness (whatever it may be) have an anticipated release date or is this coming Soontm? When budgeting is done on calendar year and one is trying to prepare the proposed budget that takes effect Jan 1....

JSGlock34
08-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Cat kinda out of the bag?

Soldier Systems: A New Aimpoint AAA Powered Micro Variant? (http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/06/a-new-aimpoint-aa-powered-micro-variant/#comments)

A DSS special agent (left) lets a visitor peer through a high-tech rifle scope used on DSS weaponry, Washington, D.C., June 23, 2016. (U.S. Department of State photo)
State Dept Image / Jun 23, 2016 / Washington, D.C.

Reportedly, it is a AAA battery powered variant from Aimpoint. Said to be a downsized M4 with T2 capabilities, the battery choice is to make logistics easier on agencies like DSS which operate in remote locations and may have difficulty sourcing the 2032 battery.

Coming SHOT Show 2017?

Hat tip to Matt L

Dagga Boy
08-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Apparently nobody told them that it's a secret...

HCM
08-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Just like Secretary Clinton's E mails.......

GJM
08-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Cat kinda out of the bag?

Soldier Systems: A New Aimpoint AAA Powered Micro Variant? (http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/06/a-new-aimpoint-aa-powered-micro-variant/#comments)

A DSS special agent (left) lets a visitor peer through a high-tech rifle scope used on DSS weaponry, Washington, D.C., June 23, 2016. (U.S. Department of State photo)
State Dept Image / Jun 23, 2016 / Washington, D.C.

Reportedly, it is a AAA battery powered variant from Aimpoint. Said to be a downsized M4 with T2 capabilities, the battery choice is to make logistics easier on agencies like DSS which operate in remote locations and may have difficulty sourcing the 2032 battery.

Coming SHOT Show 2017?

Hat tip to Matt L

Good get. Now get a picture of the FBI Glock, the next Wilson Beretta gun, and the final version of the Aimpoint pistol RDS and we will make you SME of something.

hiro
08-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Apologies for the thread jack but there's a caption competition just waiting to happen with that photo...

GJM
08-07-2016, 12:18 AM
Apologies for the thread jack but there's a caption competition just waiting to happen with that photo...

Like she appears to be right eye, left boob dominant?

Unobtanium
08-07-2016, 06:08 PM

Caption competition? Pfffttt...

Photoshop competition!

John Hearne
08-07-2016, 06:14 PM

I would start using the past tense.....

spinmove_
08-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Like she appears to be right eye, left boob dominant?

Man: Who are you winking at?
Woman: No one. But that red dot, I see that you left tit on...

Whiskey_Bravo
08-13-2016, 09:14 AM
That optic looks to be everything I am searching for in a red dot. I had just talked myself into buying a PRO, but now I'll be waiting for the release of the new model.

I think the most noteworthy thing in that picture is the utter look of disdain on the guy's face. He looks about two seconds away from beating someone to death with the Aimpoint. Luckily it would probably still hold it's zero..

ffhounddog
04-27-2017, 02:24 AM
Any update on the cool hotness?