PDA

View Full Version : Holster orientation

UNK
06-14-2016, 05:32 AM
I'm going to have my Son start presenting and firing from holster. He is 16 and proficient from low ready. My thought is vertical range holster or holster at 3-4 oclock. Looking for opinions on holster orientation and position.

hufnagel
06-14-2016, 05:48 AM
I don't know if there's any "science" behind selecting where to position and what orientation, but I can say for me it was all about finding what was the most comfortable across sitting, standing, riding in a car, your body size/shape, and if there are any physical infirmities involved. I'm a lefty male with a bit of a space-saver spare tire and a goofed up pair of shoulders, so I found 9 o'clock (maybe a hair forward) riding high with a forward cant works best for me reliably getting a good grip and cleanly extracting from the holster. I don't know nuffin' from nuffin', so take the above for what it's worth. :)

UNK
06-14-2016, 06:11 AM
This is a range only holster. Also looking for suggestions for inexpensive gun belt 1.5" the Velcro type not for belt loops.

orionz06
06-14-2016, 06:59 AM
What gun? A Bladetech holster might be $30 to the door and be just fine. You can also look at Armiger Solutions for a range/game style holster that will be a little nicer.

http://www.armigersolutions.com/product-p/owbv2.htm

Member here and shooter/training nerd like the rest of us.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

SLG
06-14-2016, 07:20 AM
I would get a safariland setup. Maybe one of the universal GLS holsters and a gamer velcro belt with the studs to adjust size. It won't go out of style if he wants to use it in a few years, it sure as hell is stout, and last I checked, they are pretty inexpensive. Matching mag pouches as well.

UNK
06-14-2016, 08:15 AM
It's a hammerili IPSC. I'm going to get the holster locally made but my concern is what orientation for the holster ie: vertical, dropped, standard height, high ride, strong side 3-4 oclock canted. Hope that gives a better idea.
He can use my stuff for 9mm.

What gun?

I would get a safariland setup. Maybe one of the universal GLS holsters and a gamer velcro belt with the studs to adjust size. It won't go out of style if he wants to use it in a few years, it sure as hell is stout, and last I checked, they are pretty inexpensive. Matching mag pouches as well.

BobLoblaw
06-14-2016, 09:36 AM
It's a hammerili IPSC. I'm going to get the holster locally made but my concern is what orientation for the holster ie: vertical, dropped, standard height, high ride, strong side 3-4 oclock canted. Hope that gives a better idea.
He can use my stuff for 9mm.

I second SLG's idea for the Safariland. The pro-fit is a great design and will likely fit since it works with 200+ other firearms. The attachment options are especially attractive given your other concerns.

UNK
06-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Ahhh ok now I understand. Thanks! I can probably try one locally.

I second SLG's idea for the Safariland. The pro-fit is a great design and will likely fit since it works with 200+ other firearms. The attachment options are especially attractive given your other concerns.