PDA

View Full Version : Time of the single stack pistol and the revoler returning?

TheNewbie
06-12-2016, 08:57 PM
I enjoy throwing ideas around, and debating this kind of stuff. Not sure how serious we should take it right now, and if this has already been covered please let me know.

With incidents like Orlando and other shootings, a country that seems to be drifting left, and a 50/50 chance of a leftist president, things do not look great for gun owners.

Will single stacks like the 225A1, 239, HK45c, etc, or revolvers be something that might be our first choice again due to new laws?

45dotACP
06-12-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't forsee revolvers making a huge comeback...

1911s however, shall always be in style ;)

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

PNWTO
06-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Everything has its place. I think if you hang out in the forumverse you will be exposed, generally, to a higher level of competency which lends itself to the population carrying doublestack guns like the G17/G19. I will make up a statistic and say that, "on the streets", for every person who rolls with a G19 there are ten individuals with a Kahr/LCP/Snub.

I would say that, across all performance levels, the most common CC guns I see at ranges/stores/matches in my area are:

1. 9mm LCP
2. .40 Shield
3. 9mm Kahr

I love 1911s, and the pro/cons/voodoo of that platform have been discussed through and through. I think it is safe to say the 1911 will never fade. Once I can get some twins built, I will probably start carrying a 1911 more and more over my 19.

As for revolvers, Nyeti has some grand talking points regarding revolvers.

Dagga Boy
06-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Nyeti's revolver 401k is predicting that when I am ready to cash out in 25 years, revolvers will be a still legal commodity. It will be interesting to see what gun control looks like in 25 years. I also have some insanely nice 1911's as well.....just so I don't get profiled.....:p

Practically.....I really think that the gun in a sock drawer folks are far better off with a Revolver.

Tamara
06-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Nyeti's revolver 401k is predicting that when I am ready to cash out in 25 years, revolvers will be a still legal commodity.

This right here. I'm holding a pretty long position in S&Ws and Mausers.

GJM
06-12-2016, 09:39 PM
FIFY

Nyeti's revolver 401k is predicated on, that when I am ready to cash out in 25 years, revolvers will be a still legal commodity. It will be interesting to see what gun control looks like in 25 years. I also have some insanely nice 1911's as well.....just so I don't get profiled.....:p

RevolverRob
06-12-2016, 10:06 PM
I just want to remind everyone that here on P-F the doom and gloom has Hilary winning. Elsewhere on the internets the doom and gloom as Trump winning. My point is, sometimes if you hang around the same think for a while, you kind of forget that the "other side" is just as scared as you are of the alternative outcome.

FYI, the at least partially unbiased statisticians that run the numbers of these things predict a marginal Trump victory. Based on a few things, if the incumbent president is not running for office again, there is a higher chance that the party opposite of the incumbent will win the election. If one party has controlled the White House for the past 2-3 terms there is a higher chance that the middle-ground Americans will vote to remove the incumbent party. As a whole as a voter block, we like to shake things up. If the economy doesn't suck, it favors the incumbent party, but for the economy to not suck, we'd need roughly 4-5% growth and currently only have 3% projected. Finally, given the latest round of terrorist attacks, the incumbent party is starting to look weak. As though they really can't prevent a tragedy like Orlando from happening. This will tend to push voters away from incumbency to try something new.

The biggest mistake Donald Trump could make running for president now, is pandering to a group that he is not aligned with by compromising his position with other groups. E.g., Trump is a reknowned sexist asshole, the number one mistake he could make is picking a woman to be his VP candidate. That would be disastrous for him. Because the voters already aligned with Trump recognize it as an attempt to pander to a different group, and the middle ground voters will not be swayed in significant numbers by pandering. He'd do best to continue with his bombastic talking points and pick a good insider to be VP - Rand Paul would be good. Paul Ryan would be another good potential pick that might be able to sway middle-ground Libertarians like myself to vote for Trump over just not voting.

This is my long rambling post on why I don't think we need to all go run out and grab 1911s and revolvers. That said, I'm all for more revolvers on the market.

OlongJohnson
06-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Don't forget lever guns.

SLG
06-12-2016, 10:15 PM
I just want to remind everyone that here on P-F the doom and gloom has Hilary winning. Elsewhere on the internets the doom and gloom as Trump winning. My point is, sometimes if you hang around the same think for a while, you kind of forget that the "other side" is just as scared as you are of the alternative outcome.

Seeing as how this is in RR...I don't know how anyone can be ok with the outcome of this election. Both candidates terrify me, and for many of the same reasons.

Tamara
06-12-2016, 10:20 PM

I like you a lot RevolverRob, and you're a good dude, so I know you didn't mean that to be patronizing. ;)

GJM
06-12-2016, 10:22 PM
For HRC not to be the next President, we need some combination of her being indicted and Trump getting a very severe case of Laryngitis that lasts until the new year.

Tamara
06-12-2016, 10:32 PM
...and Trump getting a very severe case of Laryngitis that lasts until the new year.

That's what the pundits said all through the primaries.

If you can survive pissing off the black-'n'-white flag POW-MIA crowd in the GOP primaries, you've got more Teflon than Ron.

GardoneVT
06-12-2016, 10:43 PM
I figure the future of gun control will echo the past efforts in other places.

Which means it'll go further then just magazine limits. The antis have made it clear they're going past another AWB. It's gonna be a layered series of rules, not just ones covering magazines and rifle features.

The question won't be which guns are compliant or not.
The question will be whether there's a point to owning any at all.

RevolverRob
06-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Seeing as how this is in RR...I don't know how anyone can be ok with the outcome of this election. Both candidates terrify me, and for many of the same reasons.

They totally terrify me. The fact that our political situation has become so dire that our candidates are between a should-be-indicted traitor and a should-be-smacked in the mouth loud mouth is horrifying. We have reached a low as a democracy when our candidates look like this.

I like you a lot RevolverRob, and you're a good dude, so I know you didn't mean that to be patronizing. ;)

Of course not! I forgot me winky emoticon. ;) - My perspective is, it isn't over by a long-shot and let's all go get more revolvers is kind of an over-reaction at this stage. Also, I'm just trying to keep folks from driving up the price on revolvers.

For HRC not to be the next President, we need some combination of her being indicted and Trump getting a very severe case of Laryngitis that lasts until the new year.

Yea. I want to agree with you on principle. It's just that...well voting trends can be mathematically modeled rather easily, this isn't the first heavily politicized, media sensationalized, presidential election in our history. When you look at voter turnout, issues, political climate, social climate, media coverage, etc. It's actually not super difficult to create a solid model that makes fairly accurate predictions. And right now those predictions show a marginal Trump victory. There are a lot of people in swing states who are not keen on 4-more years of Democrats and even more not keen on HRC.

ETA: I hope that what happens next is that both Trump and Clinton decide to drop out of the race and Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders will run against each other. A far more interesting race, in my opinion. One can dream.

Bigghoss
06-12-2016, 11:46 PM
People still think revolvers never jam or malfunction and you don't have to dress around a single stack as much. I'm guessing. Boils down to a combination of cool factor and laziness.

Totem Polar
06-12-2016, 11:55 PM

FnA right.

PNWTO
06-13-2016, 12:12 AM
People still think revolvers never jam or malfunction and you don't have to dress around a single stack as much. I'm guessing. Boils down to a combination of cool factor and laziness.

While it is definitely different for each person, IME a 5" 1911 in something akin to a Summer Special or VersaMax is one of the most comfortable, easy to use, and concealable set-ups.

Bigghoss
06-13-2016, 01:17 AM
The 1911 is the muscle car of pistols. If you don't own a 1911 then you hate freedom. 'Murica!

farscott
06-13-2016, 04:39 AM
Looking at the marketplace today, prices and inventory suggest that there is no need to rush out and stock up on 1911 pistols, lever-action rifles, and pump shotguns. For all of the doom and gloom, normal capacity magazines for both pistols and rifles are plentiful and inexpensive. This week alone I saw Brownells run sales on Glock magazines, and Primary Arms run sales on Magpul magazines. I am sure others had sales as well. AR lowers are still inexpensive.

With the current US Congress, new gun control legislation is not going to happen. So it will take until at least February for anything to change, assuming that Secretary Clinton wins the Presidency and the Democrats take both houses of Congress. The latter reason is why voting is so important this time. If the Republicans can hold the Senate, new gun control legislation is extremely unlikely to be passed. If the Democrats win both houses, new gun control legislation is probable, if not likely, regardless of who sits in the Oval Office.

Jeep
06-13-2016, 08:46 AM

Yeah, but its kind of like what happens if your chutes fail to deploy on a jump. You know that the outcome is going to be horrible so you might as well enjoy the spectacle on the way down, and the next 4 1/2 months are going to be an absolute spectacle.

SLG
06-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Yeah, but its kind of like what happens if your chutes fail to deploy on a jump. You know that the outcome is going to be horrible so you might as well enjoy the spectacle on the way down, and the next 4 1/2 months are going to be an absolute spectacle.

The problem in this case is that my kids are in the same harness that I am in. And it's not just 4.5 months. :-(

Odin Bravo One
06-13-2016, 09:48 AM

And when your chutes fail you still fight to get silk in the air. And death is the permanent outcome. Living in a shit country that was once a decent place to live is significantly more frightening than death.

Odin Bravo One
06-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Do not take this to mean I'm giving up my 1911s.

Not gonna happen. Still have four out for builds.

farscott
06-13-2016, 09:57 AM
I believe the country can survive a bad President or three IF the US Congress can blunt the worst of the damage. For that reason, the House and Senate races are more important than ever over the next eight years. Just because the choices for POTUS are horrible and worse should not be an excuse to not keep our eyes on the candidates for other office and vote appropriately.

TGS
06-13-2016, 11:09 AM
The question won't be which guns are compliant or not.
The question will be whether there's a point to owning any at all.

Beretta lover,

I disagree. Another AWB is always a possibility in this environment, but I see shall issue CCW and wheel guns/single stacks as fairly "safe", unless of course they actually amend the constitution.

I think even if there's another successful gun control push, you'll still have a reason to own a gun. It might just be limited to CCWing a wheelgun, single stack, or 380 (military calibers = WMD) at the worst.

Dagga Boy
06-13-2016, 11:10 AM
The fact is that we are putting our hopes in a Clinton, Pelosi, Reid, Schummer and McAuliffe donor to save our 2nd Amendment....I just need to win a Mega Lotto and buy my own Island. I will be a kind and benevolent King. The flag will have a Hemi Superbird and a Colt Bulldog Gatling gun on it.....I'll call the Kingdom..... Murica!

Reno Sepulveda
06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Politics, regulations and investments aside, my idea of Glock perfection is a skinny 9mm single stack that holds 10 rds and a 4.25" barrel.

Kind of like a G19 on a diet or a stretched out G43.

Dagga Boy
06-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Politics, regulations and investments aside, my idea of Glock perfection is a skinny 9mm single stack that holds 10 rds and a 4.25" barrel.

Made by HK......then it will be perfection....;)

warpedcamshaft
06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Made by HK......then it will be perfection....;)

But then it will only hold 8 rounds... Because of supply clerks and terrible German engineering.

Whirlwind06
06-13-2016, 01:26 PM

The Kahr TP9 is pretty close to what you're describing. Only 8 rounds and a 4 inch barrel, pretty nice gun though.

Reno Sepulveda
06-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah that Khar is just about the right size.

Clay
06-13-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm seeing the very early signs of panic buying, especially with ammo. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

PNWTO
06-13-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm seeing the very early signs of panic buying, especially with ammo. We'll see what happens.

I'm trying to do all my shopping before the general election starts.

Dagga Boy
06-13-2016, 06:06 PM
But then it will only hold 8 rounds... Because of supply clerks and terrible German engineering.

That was funny...:p

idahojess
06-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Whenever I get the urge to panic buy, I calm myself by donating at least 25 bucks to the NRA-ILA. Seems more productive, and less expensive.
Although I probably could use another case of 9....

Dagga Boy
06-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Whenever I get the urge to panic buy, I calm myself by donating at least 25 bucks to the NRA-ILA. Seems more productive, and less expensive.
Although I probably could use another case of 9....

Never again will the NRA get a nickel from me. I am done. All the money I spent to fight Hilary, Reid, Pelosi, Schummer, McAuliff, and others who were trying to implement gun control was more than countered by Donald Trump's donations. In my book, he is their boy, he needs to be ponying up a ton of his money to make up for that. I upgraded to a Endowmwnt Life Member because I liked some of the new direction and recent ads. When I am done paying for that, never again.

My money now goes to me and directly to politicians who I guarantee will vote in my interest in the future on gun issues.

SAWBONES
06-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Time of the single stack pistol and the revolver returning?

Dunno, but I'm prepared with lots of both (1911 and revolvers), just in case. :cool:

I'm inclined to unconsciously project my own attitudes and ideas on persons in positions of responsibility or authority, and accordingly to superficially think that no politician could be so unbelievably incapable of clear thought and so intellectually dishonest as to attempt to enact another "high capacity magazine ban" or "assault weapons ban", or to pursue similar-but-even-worse-nonsense (e.g. "revolvers only" or "shotguns only" or "fifty boolits a year" sorts of legislation), but when I view the dishonest behavior of our incumbent President and of several Democratic Senators in regard to all things gun-related, I find that I simply cannot exclude such possibilities from imagination.

I am starting to accumulate cases of appropriate practice ammunition, however, in anticipation of rising prices or actual unavailability should the unthinkable (HRC becomig prez) occur .

Dagga Boy
06-13-2016, 07:00 PM
The Feds sort of back-doored me on the ivory ban. I have no real issue with the ban on current/new Ivory, it is ridiculous to think that the grips on many of my older investment grade guns are harming current wildlife. Not being able to sell an older piano, or even getting it repaired is really stupid. Currently, instate sales I guess are okay. Thank goodness I live in Texas, and can sell here, but still stupid.

Odin Bravo One
06-13-2016, 08:47 PM
I have ivory on a Royal Navy dirk from 1771. Just owning it can be a pain in the ass having to keep track of the paperwork so I can stay out of trouble.

Bigghoss
06-14-2016, 02:47 AM
Saw a really nice refinished S&W 1917 for $475 yesterday. Would have been a nice shooter but the funds need to go elsewhere.

farscott
06-14-2016, 05:13 AM
The Feds sort of back-doored me on the ivory ban. I have no real issue with the ban on current/new Ivory, it is ridiculous to think that the grips on many of my older investment grade guns are harming current wildlife. Not being able to sell an older piano, or even getting it repaired is really stupid. Currently, instate sales I guess are okay. Thank goodness I live in Texas, and can sell here, but still stupid.

Before the executive order and the new rules went into effect, I was able to buy more than a few sets of Nutmeg Sports elephant ivory grips. Nice thing about Nutmeg Sports is that the paperwork to document the ivory comes with each set of grips. I keep the grips not on pistols in the safe with the paperwork. That might be my retirement.

The counterpart to that is I have more than a few 1911s that I had built with elephant ivory grips about ten years ago that I cannot document. I was not planning on selling, but I hate having choices taken away from me for stupid reasons. The blued one is a Harrison "Peerless" with a few tweaks that was in an article on John in "Combat Handguns". The bottom one is a stainless gun that I had built that inspired the "Basic Carry" model. Both are built on the repro "Series '70" guns that Colt start making about fifteen years ago.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/farscott/PrecisionGunworksBluedSeries70-1.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/farscott/media/PrecisionGunworksBluedSeries70-1.jpg.html)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/farscott/PrecisionGunworksSeries70-7.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/farscott/media/PrecisionGunworksSeries70-7.jpg.html)

Robinson
06-14-2016, 08:27 AM
farscott, nice looking guns. I really like the Harrison retro rear sight.

Dagga Boy
06-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Yea, I am stuck with my Ivory stocked guns.....it is now an excuse to not sell them. Hopefully, it is another Obama Executive order that gets undone at some point. We again are making administrative criminals out of a lot of folks. Again, I don't want to ever see a piece of Ivory that is from a poached animal. With that said, it doesn't save a single elephant, walrus or Wooly Mammoth that had their tusks made into gun stocks or chess pieces 50 plus years ago in most cases.

rjohnson4405
06-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Sig 225 A1 is Glock 19 sized single stack.

Still new to mine, but liking it so far.

BehindBlueI's
06-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Meh. The thread title makes it seem like single stacks and revolvers went somewhere. I bet you there are a lot more Shields, XDs, LCPs, j-frames, LCRs, etc. carried than double stack anythings by the gun toting population in general. Now filling safes and range days may be quite a bit different, but honest EDC or "bad part of town" occasional carrier?

LSP972
06-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Now filling safes and range days may be quite a bit different, but honest EDC or "bad part of town" occasional carrier?

Yeah, well, I for one am wondering about just will happen if the antis are allowed to get disallowment law/policies in place; and we should be pretty sure that The Hildebeast will try to eliminate as much as she can if elected. Trump… who knows what he will do if HE wins? Won't matter to active LE types, but we retired LE types are likely to be just as "disallowed" as every other citizen-type.

IOW, if the oft-discussed "high-capacity" pistols… or semi-auto anything, for that matter… become illegal for non-LE/retired LE/certain active-but-off-duty military types, I believe one should have enough revolvers to carry the day; or low-capacity pistols, if they are still allowed. There is simply no way of telling what really IS going to occur, until it does… but if whatever some of us suspect does become immediate, I expect that a lot of folks, who think all these thoughts right now are just squirrelly dreaming, will suddenly understand that their hi-cap/double-stack magazines/etc. might be just plain illegal.

Then what?

Dagga Boy
06-14-2016, 05:42 PM
If nothing else, I am going to be looking good....

Mitch
06-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Never again will the NRA get a nickel from me. I am done. All the money I spent to fight Hilary, Reid, Pelosi, Schummer, McAuliff, and others who were trying to implement gun control was more than countered by Donald Trump's donations. In my book, he is their boy, he needs to be ponying up a ton of his money to make up for that. I upgraded to a Endowmwnt Life Member because I liked some of the new direction and recent ads. When I am done paying for that, never again.

My money now goes to me and directly to politicians who I guarantee will vote in my interest in the future on gun issues.

Trump just tweeted that he's meeting with the NRA about not allowing people on the no fly list or terrorist watch list to buy guns.

Fuck them all. I used to say people should take what they were going to spend on panic buying and donate some to the NRA instead. No more.

They could have endorsed an actual conservative earlier in the primary, but they didn't. Well they've made their bed and they can lay in it now, I will not be joining.

I've forgotten how many e-mails from the NRA I've deleted that were sensationalist non-sense trying to scare up donations. But here we had an actual problem they could have gotten out in front of and they were silent.

Trump, Hillary, whatever. It's all the same at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
06-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Yeah, well, I for one am wondering about just will happen if the antis are allowed to get disallowment law/policies in place; and we should be pretty sure that The Hildebeast will try to eliminate as much as she can if elected. Trump… who knows what he will do if HE wins? Won't matter to active LE types, but we retired LE types are likely to be just as "disallowed" as every other citizen-type.

IOW, if the oft-discussed "high-capacity" pistols… or semi-auto anything, for that matter… become illegal for non-LE/retired LE/certain active-but-off-duty military types, I believe one should have enough revolvers to carry the day; or low-capacity pistols, if they are still allowed. There is simply no way of telling what really IS going to occur, until it does… but if whatever some of us suspect does become immediate, I expect that a lot of folks, who think all these thoughts right now are just squirrelly dreaming, will suddenly understand that their hi-cap/double-stack magazines/etc. might be just plain illegal.

Then what?

I wasn't an LEO during the Clinton AWB. I also lived in a state with no license to carry a handgun at the time for the first half. When I returned to Indiana, I carried a single stack .45 and waited out the ban. If it should come to pass again, I'd do the same thing and wait for the next pendulum swing. If prices go crazy high, I'll sell some ARs and my AK for nice pre-lock S&Ws. I still regret not selling my AK after Sandy Hook.

JR1572
06-15-2016, 01:29 PM
I wasn't an LEO during the Clinton AWB. I also lived in a state with no license to carry a handgun at the time for the first half. When I returned to Indiana, I carried a single stack .45 and waited out the ban. If it should come to pass again, I'd do the same thing and wait for the next pendulum swing. If prices go crazy high, I'll sell some ARs and my AK for nice pre-lock S&Ws. I still regret not selling my AK after Sandy Hook.

I was. Yeah, I was issued a G3 G22 with two magazines and I only carried one spare magazine because I couldn't get a signed letterhead from my agency to buy another LE magazine. Pre-ban G22 magazines were $100 a piece locally. I eventually secured a LE marked magazine and things were good.

I do remember buying 2 LE marked Colt carbines from a down on his luck co-worker for $1200. That was pretty awesome.

JR1572

BehindBlueI's
06-15-2016, 01:54 PM
I was. Yeah, I was issued a G3 G22 with two magazines and I only carried one spare magazine because I couldn't get a signed letterhead from my agency to buy another LE magazine. Pre-ban G22 magazines were $100 a piece locally. I eventually secured a LE marked magazine and things were good.

I do remember buying 2 LE marked Colt carbines from a down on his luck co-worker for $1200. That was pretty awesome.

JR1572

Yeah, I heard Glock guys had issues with insane prices. I carried a 1911, so didn't matter much to me. My only attempt at a double stack in those days was a CZ, and those mags (CZ75B) were so plentiful they never really spiked in price. I think I was getting them for $15 or so, which was roughly what I was paying for Chip McCormick Shooting Stars for the 1911.

alohadoug
06-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I heard Glock guys had issues with insane prices.

We still suffer from that here in Mass. The magazine limit never sunset here (State version of MGL didn't include sunset). If we want standard capacity mags they have to be "pre-ban (1994)." I've seen pre-94 Glock mags go for $100+.

Aloha

serialsolver
06-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, the hi power mags never went up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk