PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RF-100 Automatic Primer Filler?

dsa
06-12-2016, 03:39 PM
I recently picked one up and got it set up on the bench so that it is level both left to right and front to back. I have the screw that secures the plastic feeder set so the feeder floats, I have adjusted the rheostat control and I am still getting a few primers (4-5/100) that hang up sideways going into the tube. Any of you guys have any experience with the RF-100 and have some tips to share? Thanks.

taadski
06-12-2016, 11:44 PM
The failsafe solution I've come up with to avoid primers winding up upside down in the tube and subsequently in my casing that way is simply watching them as they drop. If I get one that flips, I stop the machine, dump out 2 or 3 and then continue.

Re adjustments, the biggest thing I've done that helps is beveling the edge of the plastic colored insert where the primer drops. If it isn't lined up perfectly, the square edge bumps the primer on the way in and kicks it up onto it's side. By squishing the edges of the plastic slightly where the primers enter, it seems to remedy some of the problem. Still not 100%, but aside from adjusting the rheostat correctly, it's the thing that seems to have helped the most.

I've also noticed that if the line of primers gets too long (like when all the primers start already in the hopper) and they're pushing too hard on the one that's dropping, the incidence of flipping seems higher. Along those lines, when I dump a new card of primers, I let them drop from the clear plastic housing into the hopper slowly via the machine's vibration instead of pushing them all in at once, if that makes sense. It seems to help a little. I also adjust the clear plastic "stabilizer plate" a touch more snugly than recommended and find this does the same thing; holds up the line a little and takes some pressure of the primer that is currently dropping.

As a disclaimer, I've only owned my RF-100 for 6 months or so. These are just some uneducated tweaks that seem to help. And while the machine is fiddley and a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, it beats the tar out of bending over and picking primers up via the tube, one by one, IMO. I LOVE the thing and despite everything consider it one of my best reloading investments. [shrug]

Also, check this guy's video out. I've not tried his solution yet, but he seems to think it makes a big difference…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXB40qgMV0

t

dsa
06-13-2016, 12:26 AM
The failsafe solution I've come up with to avoid primers winding up upside down in the tube and subsequently in my casing that way is simply watching them as they drop. If I get one that flips, I stop the machine, dump out 2 or 3 and then continue.

Re adjustments, the biggest thing I've done that helps is beveling the edge of the plastic colored insert where the primer drops. If it isn't lined up perfectly, the square edge bumps the primer on the way in and kicks it up onto it's side. By squishing the edges of the plastic slightly where the primers enter, it seems to remedy some of the problem. Still not 100%, but aside from adjusting the rheostat correctly, it's the thing that seems to have helped the most.

I've also noticed that if the line of primers gets too long (like when all the primers start already in the hopper) and they're pushing too hard on the one that's dropping, the incidence of flipping seems higher. Along those lines, when I dump a new card of primers, I let them drop from the clear plastic housing into the hopper slowly via the machine's vibration instead of pushing them all in at once, if that makes sense. It seems to help a little. I also adjust the clear plastic "stabilizer plate" a touch more snugly than recommended and find this does the same thing; holds up the line a little and takes some pressure of the primer that is currently dropping.

As a disclaimer, I've only owned my RF-100 for 6 months or so. These are just some uneducated tweaks that seem to help. And while the machine is fiddley and a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, it beats the tar out of bending over and picking primers up via the tube, one by one, IMO. I LOVE the thing and despite everything consider it one of my best reloading investments. [shrug]

Also, check this guy's video out. I've not tried his solution yet, but he seems to think it makes a big difference…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXB40qgMV0

t
This is good stuff, thank you!

Clusterfrack
06-13-2016, 08:59 AM
This may not be the answer you're looking for. After fooling with the Dillon Primer filler for a couple of years, I now use a Frankford Primer Filler (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/890424/frankford-arsenal-vibra-prime-automatic-primer-tube-filler). There really is no comparison. The Frankford tool works much better for a fraction of the cost, without all the fiddling.

http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Frankfort-Arsenal-Vibraprime-with-packaging-1200-600x406.jpg

Sal Picante
06-13-2016, 11:08 AM
I live-and-die by the RF100: You can't run automated Dillon 1050 without this thing - I have it loading primers while I babysit the machine.

The big key point it the plastic "guide" that limits primers from entering the final ~1" of the "railway". You need to ensure that it is down far enough so that primers cannot tip sideways when they enter the "blue orifice"... Additionally, you need to make sure that only 1 primer can enter that "home-stretch" of the railway but still tumble out if they're upside-down.

Might take a few tries to get it where it is lined up ... huuurrrrr ... just right, but the results will be worth it.

I tend to run the filler with the rheostat at a moderate, moderate-low setting.

dsa
06-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Loaded 500rds this morning and it is running like a top. Thanks for the tips.

PhillySoldier
04-05-2018, 06:04 AM
How many small primers can you pre-fill into the machine at a time?

dsa
04-05-2018, 08:57 AM
How many small primers can you pre-fill into the machine at a time?

PhillySoldier
04-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Ok thanks. I know the tube will only hold 100 but was hoping I might be able to add a few boxes at a time to the filler itself. I have one on order now.

PhillySoldier
04-17-2018, 07:44 AM
Had mine about a week now. Still trying to get it adjusted right. Getting about 5-10% flipped or sideways primers. Right now Im still experimenting w different speeds and mainly keeping it around halfway. Havent played w trying to adjust the runway plate yet

LittleLebowski
04-17-2018, 07:53 AM
GuanoLoco

Clusterfrack
04-17-2018, 10:08 AM
I have 9 primer tubes. I fill them and the 1050 all at once with the Frankford Vibraprime. Then load 1000 rounds. Repeat. Super easy and fast.

GuanoLoco
04-18-2018, 01:06 AM
I basically do 3 things to tune my RF100 to various primer types. Each primer type needs a slightly different setting.

There is a screw that controls how tight the blue fitting is where the primers drop in tot he tube. Too tight = jams, too loose = flips.

The clear plastic piece that swings in and out needs to be just loose enough to allow primers to pass, but no looser.

I tend to strap some weight to the metals cylinder below the removable primer tube assembly, maybe 6 200 grain 300 blackout bullets or whatever. This seems to dampen the action a hair and I can turn the rheostat up further withotu inducing issues.

90 seconds to 2 minutes is good - if you try to load primers too fast you may induce issues.

My biggest challenge is swapping primers - CCI SPP, Federal SPP, CCI #41 SRP, etc. Tolerances are slightly different and minor tunng is required - mostly on the first 2 items I mention.

PhillySoldier
07-17-2018, 10:30 AM
There is a screw that controls how tight the blue fitting is where the primers drop in tot he tube. Too tight = jams, too loose = flips.

The clear plastic piece that swings in and out needs to be just loose enough to allow primers to pass, but no looser.

Ive found (as mentioned above) the adapter screw as being the biggest thing to adjust to control flipped primers. This is the blue or red ring going through the hole the primers drop through to the tube. Underneath the platform you will see this "adapter screw" holding the blue/red ring in place. You want to start by setting it at a dimes width. Slide a dime between the head of the screw and the bottom of the base. If that does not solve your problem; you want to keep loosening this screw a 1/4 turn at a time until it does solve it.

A clear/translucent pick up tube would certainly make this adjusting process a lot easier to see if there are any flipped primers. I cant find any though. I know years ago Dillon used to have ones that were a clear plastic with a brass tip