PDA

View Full Version : LCP breakage

warpedcamshaft
06-11-2016, 10:39 AM
I own a Ruger LCP of the 2nd generation variety.

At about the 800-850 round mark (probably around 3,000 dry practice shots all with snap caps), the bottom half of the extractor liberated itself from the firearm. This was the first stoppage I've experienced aside from when firing Winchester "White Box" without the Galloway Precision spring set.

Ruger sent me a replacement extractor, extractor spring, and extractor plunger.

Ruger's response/shipping was very quick.

Has anyone else broken an LCP or have higher round count LCP's?

CCT125US
06-11-2016, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't call my LCP high round count with 1000 rds on it, but i did replace all springs and pins at that time. The dual nested recoil springs were about half the length of the fresh ones. Aside from some out of spec handloads, it ran fine with a variety of ammo. Now it just sits, never gets shot or carried.

Clay
06-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Yes. I have two LCP's and one of them blew an extractor just as you describe, within 400 rounds. It still ran, though. Ruger sent me a new extractor, no questions. Must be common.

LCP's do not tolerate steel cased ammo in my experience. Neither do the LC9's.

I still love the LCP though. The perfect gun for when you can't carry a gun. ;)

DpdG
06-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Had one split the top of the barrel from breech face to muzzle on approximately round #24. All rounds were factory FMJ and shots were being watched and called, so no squib was possible. I have no idea what the underlying cause was, but Ruger quickly replaced the entire gun with little/no questions asked. It was returned to the dealer, who dealt with Ruger.

This was about 4 years ago, so no idea if that counts as gen 1 or gen 2.

Sigfan26
06-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Our rental at the range I worked at was a HIGH round count gun. In 2 years, it was back to Ruger ~4 times and went through about that many broken takedown pins in the same period of time. Ruger was always super easy to deal with, though

Clay
06-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Our rental LC9's have been back to Ruger on multiple occasions.

When asked about the various Ruger semiautos, I like to tell people that Ruger has great service, and you're going to need it.

BillSWPA
06-11-2016, 07:02 PM
I find that I get the best functioning with tiny, powerful (by pocket gun standards) pocket guns by replacing the recoil springs every few hundred rounds. The demands placed on these springs are often greater than those placed on the springs of larger guns.