PDA

View Full Version : Another first squib

Hambo
06-11-2016, 09:40 AM
I've been loading ammo since 1988 without a problem, until yesterday.

I've been shooting at an indoor range and was about to finish up with The Test with my spare Beretta. First three rounds were fine, then the hammer dropped and no bang, or at least that's what it seemed like. I ejected a spent case and the slide would not go into battery with another round. Time to whoa up. The exam found a 147gr SNS just into the rifling, which was a great thing because it prevented chambering another round. With other shooters on the range I couldn't hear anything different. What I thought was a FTE was really a primer only.

I'll admit it shook me up. This ammo was loaded on a 550 and I've had zero powder measure issues with them. My guess as to what happened is this: I check a round or two at the start of a session, and sometimes others during the process to make sure I'm dropping the right charge. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't cause a bunch of other problems is dumping powder on the scale, case back to position #2, rotate without powder, load bullet.

At any rate it's a cautionary tale. Don't take your eye off the ball, ever.

mmc45414
07-27-2016, 11:58 AM
I've been loading ammo since 1988 without a problem, until yesterday.

I'll admit it shook me up. This ammo was loaded on a 550... My guess as to what happened is this: I check a round or two at the start of a session, and sometimes others during the process to make sure I'm dropping the right charge. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't cause a bunch of other problems is dumping powder on the scale, case back to position #2, rotate without powder, load bullet.

At any rate it's a cautionary tale. Don't take your eye off the ball, ever.

I have been reloading probably since 1973, as far as I remember without any serious flaws, but I have screwed up in the last couple of years. Consequently I have been more careful on checking charges from time to time, using the same dump the case method you describe. But rather than having to follow a specific sequence to not squib or double charge (at least that typically makes a mess) or pop out a good primer, I have started just setting that case aside and putting the button back in. When I am done with that batch I just put the primed case in and push it around to station two and finish it by itself.

Luke
07-27-2016, 12:06 PM
I haven't been loading even a third as long as you, but I look into EVERY round on my press. No way I would even try to shoot a round I didn't see the powder. It's pretty obvious if there is no/double charge. Super easy simple insurance.

Edit: this wasn't meant to come off snobbish. So don't read it that way lol.

LittleLebowski
07-29-2016, 08:32 AM
I've had two squibs because I wasn't topping off the powder in my 550. However, I knew they were likely there at least. I should have pulled them but I shot them to see if the powder measure was indeed low as I thought it might have been. It was and I pulled the rest of the batch.