PDA

View Full Version : Bad or Worse: XDM 9mm or Gen3 Glock 22?

Virtuosity Student
06-10-2016, 10:25 PM
My nephew recently turned 21 and has taken his CCW class and currently awaiting to get his permit from the Sheriff's office. He has been into shooting/hunting since early teenage years and has the wisdom to take a couple local training classes.

As a birthday gift my uncle has given him his option of 2 firearms that he will give to him as gifts and one these will be my nephews first handgun and intended CCW.

One is a Springfield XDM 4.5" Barrel 9mm and the other option is a Gen 3 Glock 22.

I realize neither of these are optimal but it is what it is and, check they are free! Which of these two would be the lesser of two evils as a first handgun with the intentions to carry and do some training with?

BehindBlueI's
06-10-2016, 10:34 PM
I'd go with the Springfield. Yeah, the grip safety is funky but I'm assuming the young man isn't rolling in dough for training and practice ammo so the 9mm wins there. Recoil is going to be less as well, and from my limited experience with an XD(M) at the rental range they are pretty easy to shoot. I'm just not a real big fan of the Glock 22, and my experience with the Gen 3 version was less than optimal. Not full on dumpster fire, but enough I've no desire for one even at police buy back prices.

BillSWPA
06-10-2016, 10:36 PM
I would pick the XDM 9mm.

XD's are very ergonomic and easy to shoot well. My wife and father in law both have 9mm XD pistols, with no issues. The 9mm caliber not only means cheaper ammo, but also less chance of a case rupture, particularly if remanufactured ammo is used.

The Glock would be a great choice but for the .40 caliber. I have heard or read about more fun explosions in .40 than all other calibers combined. The one time I personally witnessed a gun explode, it was a .40.

As full side pistols, neither will be ideal for concealed carry, and if he is serious about being armed all the time, he will soon want something smaller in addition to this gun. The Glock is less blocky than the XD, which could potentially help with IWB carry.

TheNewbie
06-10-2016, 10:53 PM
I was issued an XDM .40 and it was not reliable. Not sure if the 9mm is any better, but I assume it has to be.

Cool Breeze
06-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I'd go with the glock and get a 9mm barrel and ejector. If you don't do that... Get the 9mm xd

BTW - love the title of this

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HCM
06-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Glock 22. Stick to 180 grain ammo and avoid Weapons Mounted Lights. If he gets into shooting regularly, a Lone wolf 40 to 9 conversion barrel is about $100.

The XD shoots nicely but the reliability and durability are lacking. Not to mention the grip safety issue.

Chuck Haggard
06-10-2016, 11:28 PM
G22, at some point buy a 9mm barrel. Done

GJM
06-10-2016, 11:39 PM
I would pick whichever one is worth more and trade it on a current gen 4 17 or 19.

Kennydale
06-10-2016, 11:48 PM
If they are HAND ME DOWNS I get it. But if the UNC is buying them new, Why doesn't he let the young man pick from a better selection.

Chuck Haggard
06-10-2016, 11:53 PM
I'd go with the glock and get a 9mm barrel and ejector. If you don't do that... Get the 9mm xd

BTW - love the title of this

The .40 Glocks don't need a 9mm ejector to run well

Virtuosity Student
06-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Seems to be split so far on recommendations, now you see my conundrum on how to advise him!

I shoot 9mm Glock and if that were a contender, it would be no contest. So we have 9mm in a questionable platform vs a proven platform but with a questionable caliber due to added cost and wear on the gun.

These are firearms that my uncle owns and is giving to his son as a gift. Unc has since moved on to 1911's and HK's all in 45 ( cuz 'Murica).

Cool Breeze
06-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Awesome, even easier! Thanks.

Clay
06-11-2016, 12:07 AM
XDM all day long. My range has had fantastic luck with them, and the model you're referring is our number one rental. Very accurate and soft shooting. I'd buy an XD without hesitation, if I couldn't get a Glock 17/19/26. The grip safety has never been a problem, even with new shooters with an imperfect grip. They run with all ammo, including steel cased stuff. Mags are reasonable and readily available, as are holsters.

Just my .02

HCM
06-11-2016, 12:19 AM

Yes. You only need the conversion barrel and 9mm mags.

JAD
06-11-2016, 06:19 AM
As full side pistols, neither will be ideal for concealed carry.

That's funny, my own thought was 'well, at least they're fighting handguns.' I carry that size pistol all day most days. The young man will be blessed to never know he's not supposed to be able to conceal a service pistol.

Leroy Suggs
06-11-2016, 07:46 AM
I would pick whichever one is worth more and trade it on a current gen 4 17 or 19.

^^^^^^^^^
This.

BehindBlueI's
06-11-2016, 07:58 AM
While not doubting the experiences of those who've tested the XD(m) for durability, at what round count do they begin to fail and what's the likelihood of this young man getting to that point?

Clay
06-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Our rental XD's get shot a ton and rarely maintained. I know XD's aren't popular here, but IMHO if this wasn't a Glock world, it may very well have been an XD world, at least until very recently with the Sig 320 and HK VP9. I probably see more people come in with XD's than anything else, and I never have to dick around with them to get them running, and I can't remember the last time I've seen one malfunction.

We have a couple that shoots the XDM 9mm in IDPA here, and they love them. Again, no problems, and they shoot a lot. Like 3 or 4 times a week, hour long range sessions.

The only downside to the XD in my opinion is the price. They are almost always higher than a Glock around here, and that puts them out of my recommend list. They end up being the gun for the guys who want to be cool and say they "don't like Glocks".

BillSWPA
06-11-2016, 10:21 AM
That's funny, my own thought was 'well, at least they're fighting handguns.' I carry that size pistol all day most days. The young man will be blessed to never know he's not supposed to be able to conceal a service pistol.

I have carried a full size 1911 concealed, but I don't want to have to do so in business casual attire in 90 degree temperatures. I also have a lot of shirts with holes at about 4:00 above my waistline from the end of the grip on my Glock 19.

I have come across very few people who say that one should carry at least (insert your favorite here) who actually carry more than 10% of the time. Those who do usually have jobs where they are expected to carry guns, which is not most of us.

BillSWPA
06-11-2016, 10:24 AM
I also don't see the issue with the grip safety on the XD. It has never failed to work as it is supposed to work on either my wife's or father in law's guns. Round count is not high enough for a true durability test, but each gun has several hundred rounds through it. I have yet to see either gun malfunction in any way.

HCM
06-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I also don't see the issue with the grip safety on the XD. It has never failed to work as it is supposed to work on either my wife's or father in law's guns. Round count is not high enough for a true durability test, but each gun has several hundred rounds through it. I have yet to see either gun malfunction in any way.

The issue with the grip safety is it locks the slide unless depressed. This causes issues with malfunction clearance, particularly one handed. The grip safety locks the slide on all XD models except the XDS.

vcdgrips
06-11-2016, 02:18 PM
What Chuck said.
FWIW-Both guns can be carried all day long CCW with a quality holster and purpose designed belt.

Hambo
06-11-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm not a Glock dude, but if this were my only choice I'd be rocking the G22.

Mitch
06-11-2016, 02:46 PM
The man is invested in 1911s and HKs and junior gets to chose from a Glock 22 and a XDm?

Is he being punished for something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
06-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Would his dad be butt hurt if his son traded the gun for a G19?

Since we are discussing two pistols that each have their own drawbacks, and they are already in his dad's possession- I'd recommend him shoot both and see which he likes better and which is more reliable. Less risk than buying those models new and then finding out if they work well.

ReverendMeat
06-11-2016, 04:36 PM
XDm. They work fine and if the kid decided he wanted something else he'll get more in trade vs. a .40 caliber Glock.

BillSWPA
06-12-2016, 02:42 PM
The issue with the grip safety is it locks the slide unless depressed. This causes issues with malfunction clearance, particularly one handed. The grip safety locks the slide on all XD models except the XDS.

Having had some training in 1 hand malfunction clearance - including clearing a double feed induced by plastic dummy rounds mixed in my magazine using my weak hand only - I don't see the issue. Not a single one hand malfunction clearing technique I have been taught relies on any grip other than a proper grip around the grip frame.

tanner
06-12-2016, 03:09 PM

I think this was an issue a few years back. AFAIK, this is no longer the case with the newer versions.

HCM
06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
I think this was an issue a few years back. AFAIK, this is no longer the case with the newer versions.

All XD models (XD, XDM, XD gen 2 / GRIPZONE) except the XDS still have the grip safety locking the slide.

I thought they were getting rid of it when the XDS were released but the "feature" I'd present in the new Gen 2/ GRIPZONE guns.

tanner
06-12-2016, 04:49 PM
All XD models (XD, XDM, XD gen 2 / GRIPZONE) except the XDS still have the grip safety locking the slide.

I thought they were getting rid of it when the XDS were released but the "feature" I'd present in the new Gen 2/ GRIPZONE guns.

I have warned everyone I know who has bought a Springfield about the "feature", and they all said it wasn't an issue. I guess they either all bought XDS versions or else they lied to me... LOL

Talking Monkey
06-13-2016, 01:20 PM
I’m a Glock shooter, but between those two, I think I’d go with the XDM. They are soft-shooting guns that are easy to hit well with and usually come with a holster and double mag pouch to get him started with training right away. As was suggested, he could add a 9mm barrel to the G22, but that’s just added expense that could go towards ammo. Besides, I suspect that resale on the XD would be better due to the large amount of police trade-in Glock .40s out there. He could shoot the XD for a while and if it’s not meeting his needs, sell it and get something he likes better.