PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40 with thumb safety

TheNewbie
06-09-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at grabbing one of these as a duty weapon but also for hiking. The first M&P9 I had was great but the second had poor accuracy and a terrible trigger. I already have an ALS holster for this gun and mag pouches that will fit it.

The reason for .40 is hiking in black bear country and the reports of the 9 accuracy issues. Plus I like the TS for reholstering.

What has the forums experience been with them?

Sero Sed Serio
06-09-2016, 08:07 PM
I carried M&Ps for a while, and was happy overall. They are very easy to shoot, and mine were reliable. An Apex trigger kit made a big difference in trigger pull. I ended up moving on because the full size was too big for EDC CCW, and the compact was too big to be a true compact, but too small to be a mid-size. I also didn't like that you couldn't detail strip the slide (specifically the firing pin safety plunger) without removing the rear sight. I personally don't think the M&P is as good a gun as other polymer pistols on the market, but if I were issued one I would be okay with it.

ETA: The thumb safety is well placed, if a little mushy.

LockedBreech
06-09-2016, 08:20 PM
I personally don't think the M&P is as good a gun as other polymer pistols on the market, but if I were issued one I would be okay with it.

I have about 500 rounds on an M&P 40 FS with a thumb safety and I own one without and this is basically my take. The M&P is fine but Glock is better (edit: for me). If I wanted a Glock-style gun with a manual safety, though, I think it's a solid enough choice. I thought the manual safety was well placed and easy to use.

TheNewbie
06-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Yes I like a hammer or thumb safety for holstering, but also for when I hike. I carry in a hill people's gear pack, and feel better with a safety on if I have to quickly put it back in my pack.

HCM
06-09-2016, 11:09 PM
The M&P 40's have not suffered the issues the 9mms have. My local city PD has about 2k M&p 40's on the street with no major complaints.

If you want a thumb safety the one an the M&P is one of the better ones available. A little mushy but nothing is perfect. IME the out of the box triggers on the thumb safety models is usually a bit worse than the non-safety models. You will want an APEX DCAEK.

There are rumors of an M&P gen 2 coming out by the end of the year so you may want to hold out for a few months.

DocGKR
06-09-2016, 11:25 PM
The M&P40 with thumb safety is my FAVORITE .40 S&W pistol--mine had NO problems in many thousands of rounds.

john c
06-10-2016, 12:11 AM
One thing I've noticed with M&Ps is that the triggers are highly variable. The one I currently have has a GREAT trigger, better than my P320. When I got it new, I couldn't figure out why everyone was talking about Apex triggers. A buddy of mine has an M&P45 with a similarly great trigger. As I've examined several more, often within a few thousand units of one another, I see pistols with crappy triggers that justify a replacement.

This isn't a big deal, Glocks also have highly variable triggers, but not to the degree I've seen with M&Ps.

I really like the M&P platform, more so than the Glock, which I'm currently issued. As stated by others, if you want a thumb safety SFA pistol, you can't beat an M&P.

Chuck Haggard
06-10-2016, 07:07 AM
One of my mentors is an instructor of some note in OK. He has done a number of long range shots for fun just to show the potential for long range handgun accuracy, trying shots made by Elmer Keith, etc. I have seen him him B/C sized steel on demand from 200 yards out, with a Glock 33. He can obviously shoot, and has no time for inaccurate pistols. His choice for the .40 is the M&P

rauchman
06-10-2016, 07:58 AM
I have a non TS M&P 40 with a great trigger by way of the Apex sear and some polishing of the internals. I've never handled the TS variant. Is the TS placement the same as a 1911, if not is it's placement better/worse?

Can a non TS model be converted to a TS?

TheBigCountry
06-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I have a non TS M&P 40 with a great trigger by way of the Apex sear and some polishing of the internals. I've never handled the TS variant. Is the TS placement the same as a 1911, if not is it's placement better/worse?

Can a non TS model be converted to a TS?

Only the newer models with the notches on the frame cut out for the safety can be converted. You'll see plugs in those notches if you have the non Ts model. You'll also need the correct sear that can accept the Ts spring and you'll need to get the thumb safety lever itself. I believe speed shooters specialties has all the parts, but the Ts lever is rarely in stock