PDA

View Full Version : threaded barrel in non-suppressed gun?

Sero Sed Serio
06-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I recently picked up a NIB 2005-ish SIG 226 Tactical with a factory threaded barrel. I bought the gun because I prefer the older SIGs, and I got it for less than I could have gotten a new model. I have no real need for the threaded barrel (while I would love a pistol can, I have a hard time justifying its usefulness, and have about 25 other things I would spend the money on first), but no real objection to it, either. I'm probably not going to carry the gun extensively, and will mostly use it as a range/nightstand gun, but wouldn't mind having the option. The biggest con of the threaded barrel is that it would limit some holster options. The only real pro (at least in my non-suppressed world) would be a slight increase in velocity--neither are a huge deal. I could buy a standard barrel and probably recoup most of the cost by selling the threaded barrel, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort.

Thoughts? Any other pros/cons with the threaded barrel that I'm not thinking of?

VolGrad
06-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Meh. It wouldn't bother me. I use Kydex with open bottoms so I don't expect the TB would be an issue. If so I could easily remedy it.

LtDave
06-13-2016, 03:46 PM
I've got several threaded barrel guns. A couple shoot better with the threaded barrels in lieu of the original ones. Most of mine are factory.

Splat!
06-14-2016, 06:35 AM
I have no use for threaded barrels but I see them as added barrel length for more velocity.

voodoo_man
06-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Resell value is better on a threaded barrel than on a standard one.

StrikerFire
06-14-2016, 08:12 AM
The only real pro (at least in my non-suppressed world) would be a slight increase in velocity--neither are a huge deal. I could buy a standard barrel and probably recoup most of the cost by selling the threaded barrel, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort.

Thoughts? Any other pros/cons with the threaded barrel that I'm not thinking of?

If you are unfortunate enough to have to use legally articulated deadly force in self defense, especially up close - 0 to 1 yard in standing grapple - the longer barrel reduces the odds you put the gun out of battery when making a contact shot(s) under heavy stress and physical load.

Why do you want to contact shoot...

For example, in moderate to aggressive FoF against a knife attack: I first have to deal with the attack, defend against it, work to get behind the elbow (operantly conditioned default response) to create enough time/space to access my red gun.

I noticed I really want to stick the barrel right on a bodypart like a hip/knee/whatever I can get for two reasons: to "guarantee" the shot into them (break structure) and avoid shooting myself. It can get pretty chaotic with bodies/appendages flailing around.

I did a few years of this weekly under the AMOK! discipline (http://amokcombatives.com/training/fight-training/).

Splat!
06-14-2016, 08:20 AM
the longer barrel reduces the odds you put the gun out of battery when making a contact shot(s) under heavy stress and physical load.

Sorry sir, you're wrong. It makes it easier. See for yourself.

I tried to find the site that made a pistol for that very purpose. Its under carriage is longer than the front of the muzzle. Does anyone recall that?

Default.mp3
06-14-2016, 08:23 AM
If you are unfortunate enough to have to use legally articulated deadly force in self defense, especially up close - 0 to 1 yard in standing grapple - the longer barrel reduces the odds you put the gun out of battery when making a contact shot(s) under heavy stress and physical load.How does that work? Playing with my threaded barrel on my P30LS, it's far easier to push the gun out of battery compared to my stock barrel in a contact shot scenario, and is why I've relegated the P30LS with the threaded barrel for practice instead of carry.

Handy
06-14-2016, 05:49 PM
One incredibly minor downside is that it changes the slide velocity, raising it slightly. Much like lightening a slide.

Though some would see this as an advantage, I was just thinking about it as departure from the design.

FAS1
06-14-2016, 05:49 PM
I recently picked up a NIB 2005-ish SIG 226 Tactical with a factory threaded barrel. Thoughts? Any other pros/cons with the threaded barrel that I'm not thinking of?

That would make a great suppressor host and you never know... someday you might have a use for a "Don't wake the baby gun". :)

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MFJidLyk6jc/VRv9MXUMrBI/AAAAAAAAAtc/iC1jqJzX9Lc/w639-h480/11131741_839340486137462_1879756402_n.jpg

GJM
06-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Threaded barrel = +10 points on the operator scale.

To compare, a WML is +5 points and a beard +10 points.

Clusterfrack
06-14-2016, 06:45 PM
That would make a great suppressor host and you never know... someday you might have a use for a "Don't wake the baby gun". :)

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MFJidLyk6jc/VRv9MXUMrBI/AAAAAAAAAtc/iC1jqJzX9Lc/w639-h480/11131741_839340486137462_1879756402_n.jpg

A dude I know had a problem with raccoons coming in his cat flap... Not anymore.

Handy
06-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Threaded barrel = +10 points on the operator scale.

To compare, a WML is +5 points and a beard +10 points.

What's stubble and FDE Cerakote fetching these days?

Sero Sed Serio
06-14-2016, 08:12 PM
One incredibly minor downside is that it changes the slide velocity, raising it slightly. Much like lightening a slide.

Though some would see this as an advantage, I was just thinking about it as departure from the design.

How does this happen? Not doubting...legitimately curious and interested in the physics of the system. Enough to warrant a stronger recoil spring?

Handy
06-15-2016, 12:31 AM
How does this happen? Not doubting...legitimately curious and interested in the physics of the system. Enough to warrant a stronger recoil spring?

Longer barrel = more velocity and more recoil. A G17 has a heavier slide than a G19, but the G19 produces less velocity, so they end up with similar slide velocites. Kind of a self regulating thing.

I doubt it is worth worrying about. More just trivia.

rob_s
06-15-2016, 05:55 AM
Sooner or later some tier-one dude will start mounting flash hiders on pistols because:ninja and you'll be well ahead to follow the herd!

gqllc007
06-15-2016, 06:53 AM
Sorry sir, you're wrong. It makes it easier. See for yourself.

I tried to find the site that made a pistol for that very purpose. Its under carriage is longer than the front of the muzzle. Does anyone recall that?
Honor Defense Honor Guard FIST, Splat is correct...other poster has it wrong. Hence why some people like revolvers up against the body as revolvers are a non issue with failure to fire out of battery

JCS
06-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Hmm this thread is making me confused. I thought that a lightened slide was supposed to make the gun have less recoil. That's what I was told when I reached out to agency arms about their glocks.

It seems that lightened slides with holes cut in them, threaded barrels and wml are the rage amongst the Internet tactical guys. I had to stop getting on Instagram because that's all that people want to see now a days is custom guns with gold barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD
06-15-2016, 08:49 AM
A dude I know had a problem with raccoons coming in his cat flap... Not anymore.
Are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Handy
06-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Hmm this thread is making me confused. I thought that a lightened slide was supposed to make the gun have less recoil. That's what I was told when I reached out to agency arms about their glocks.

It seems that lightened slides with holes cut in them, threaded barrels and wml are the rage amongst the Internet tactical guys. I had to stop getting on Instagram because that's all that people want to see now a days is custom guns with gold barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking about the recoil forces that powers self loading guns. As you'd expect, a slide with more mass isn't going to accelerate as much as one of low mass given the same energy.

That doesn't mean that a gun with a high slide velocity and low slide mass is necessarily going to have more felt recoil, because felt recoil is a bit more complicated in a gun with a flexible plastic frame. However, I'm willing to bet they meant it will have less muzzle rise, not less felt recoil. Those are totally different things.

texasaggie2005
06-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Sooner or later some tier-one dude will start mounting flash hiders on pistols because:ninja and you'll be well ahead to follow the herd!

HK is ready for that fad. (https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/9mm-HK-Pistol-Flash-Hider-13-5-X-1-LH-p1964.htm)

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/detail/hkna4prong135%207.jpg

Handy
06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Let's not blame HK for that gizmo.

QuickStrike
06-15-2016, 12:28 PM
I was looking for a second MK-25 and the only ones available was with a threaded barrel.

I bought it anyway but just put a normal chrome lined barrel on it last night. Nice tight lock-up so all is well...

I don't like threaded barrels because:
exposed threads
more exposed crown vs normal
stupid thread protector keeps working loose
loose vs. tight thread protector seemed to affect the POI slightly
not usable in production for uspsa (i think) if I ever get around to it
I don't like how it looks

Probably will not get another pistol with a threaded barrel unless I'm buying it to suppress specifically.

Mr_White
06-15-2016, 01:50 PM
If I were going to have a threaded barrel I would want it to be gold.

JSGlock34
06-15-2016, 02:38 PM
I was a bit surprised to see Beretta introduce the M9A3 with a threaded barrel as a standard feature. Looking at what is publicly available on the MHS, it does not appear that a threaded barrel is a necessary component of the base firearm, only the suppressor kit.

L.1.5.10. Suppressor Kit: Each Offeror shall provide three (3) complete suppressor kits for their Full Size Modular Handgun System
candidate submissions. A suppressor kit is necessary to allow a standard Modular Handgun System to be operationally capable of firing
with the suppressor. This kit must include the suppressor, and may include any of the following, as necessary: a slide with taller
sights, threaded barrel, adapters, etc. All components required to enable a suppressor to be attached must be interchangeable at the
operator level. The government is verifying that the suppressor kit is functional. The suppressor is only to demonstrate that the
weapon can be fired using the requested kit and will not be evaluated.

Granted the M9A3 isn't a MHS candidate, though Beretta has been promoting that the M9A3 fulfills '86%' of the MHS requirements. While those requirements are not publicly available, it appears that the 14% that the M9A3 does not address includes a requirement for a closed slide and a more consistent trigger pull between the first and subsequent shots. In any case, seems to me that a threaded barrel for a general issue sidearm is a recipe for Joe to lose lots of thread protectors. Of course, there are plenty of standard M9 barrels out there should the M9A3 ever see service use.

In any case, I'm hoping that the M9A3 threaded barrel becomes available as a stand alone part from Beretta USA. I would like to acquire an OEM threaded barrel for my M9.

coldcase1984
06-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I'll swap you my 226 bbl for your threaded one. Fixin to get a SiCo Hybrid...