PDA

View Full Version : MUC for Kids?

RoyGBiv
06-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know of a good MUC class for kids (teens, maybe young adults)?
Not looking for firearms related, since most of the target audience is too young to possess arms.

Here we are at the start of summer. My kids are asking to do stuff that they have earned my trust to take on. After "getting lost" (builds character, self reliance) and "car accidents" (praying helps... me anyway), I find myself most worried about the new situations and broader range of people they'll be exposed to. Growing up in NYC and attending City schools was a daily lesson in MUC for me. Now that my kids are spreading their wings, a life spent living in our safe suburban bubble is showing some shortcomings. If you have any older kids, you know the futility of trying to explain life's realities to them piecemeal. Mine don't roll their eyes (much), but they'd clearly rather be someplace else... It's a slog, and the impact of "Dad" telling it to them is waning.

Growing up relatively free of worries any worse than "Stranger Danger" makes for a happy childhood. Not having a more worldly frame of reference for dealing with people who do not share that background adds a lot of worry for me. Even within the bubble, moving up to High School exposes kids suburban predators. Drugs, bullying, peer pressure, dating/sex (girls today are nothing like when I was a teen, but boys are still guilty if anything happens), etc. My kids are far from naive, but even having earned a black belt doesn't teach you how to assess and manage potential predators.

So... I got to thinking about a MUC class aimed at the 14 to 20 crowd.
Side possibility of including parents, who may (likely) not fully understand MUC or what their kids in this age group today are facing.

Anyone know of a good one?

UNK
06-09-2016, 11:22 AM
AWESOME THREAD!!! I have a 16 year old and a 12 year old. I would take both of them to a class like this.
Subscribed, Liked, 5 Star Rated

SouthNarc
06-09-2016, 01:00 PM
I've taught that age range in regular MUC coursework. I just fold them in with the adults and it works fine.

RoyGBiv
06-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I've taught that age range in regular MUC coursework. I just fold them in with the adults and it works fine.
I'm not sure whether the wordpress.com document I found online covers the entirety of your MUC class..?
..(not sure whether the document post is authorized so I won't post a link)
Some day I'll take the class and have a better understanding what's in it, so forgive me here...

In addition to overt "criminal, physical" contacts (robbery, assault, rape, etc), I was thinking about topics/contacts more specifically relevant to teenagers.
Avoiding involvement with drug crime in a peer group environment.
Safe use of social media and personal information sharing. Recognizing online predators and cyber-crime. Unknown & unseen contacts.
Going out in groups and watching out for each other.
"Seems ok" vs. "Grooming"
A person you've never met before hands you a drink at a party/event or offers you a ride.
Dealing with a friend of a friend that is asking a lot of personal questions and won't leave you alone.
Reducing the appearance/opportunity of you as a target... Heads up, not in your phone. Valuables in the trunk before you get to the parking lot. Personal boundaries.

More teen experience, less overt crime.

Hot Sauce
06-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Unknown & unseen contacts.

Going out in groups and watching out for each other.

A person you've never met before hands you a drink at a party/event or offers you a ride.

Reducing the appearance/opportunity of you as a target... Heads up, not in your phone.

Valuables in the trunk before you get to the parking lot. Personal boundaries.

After looking at all of these, what strikes me is that despite not being assault-oriented MUC, there is nothing uniquely teenage about this experience. Most adults fail at most of these, and fail quite badly at that.

I suppose, because they were never taught this stuff as teens.

MVS
06-09-2016, 08:34 PM
It wouldn't do you any good as we are quite the distance away, but we do a class called Managing Confrontations. The first part is based on Craig's unsurpassed MUC material. We then move into an introduction on combatives. We get a lot of couples in the class and they often comment on how good the class would be for their high school age kids or especially kids who are leaving home for the first time like going away to college. We try to make the class work for gun toters or not.

SLG
06-09-2016, 08:57 PM
I talked to SN about this at ECQC last month. We both agreed that the Gracie Bullyproof was a pretty good program for the young 'uns. Not totally MUC, but certainly related and important.

RoyGBiv
06-10-2016, 06:29 AM
I talked to SN about this at ECQC last month. We both agreed that the Gracie Bullyproof was a pretty good program for the young 'uns. Not totally MUC, but certainly related and important.

http://www.gracieacademy.com/fr/bully_proof.asp