PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Glock 17's reliable yet?

Comedian
11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I am thinking about getting a Gen4 G17. Are the reliability issues, resolved with these pistols?

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
No.....

JV_
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
The new guns on my dealer's shelves still don't have the new ejector.

Comedian
11-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Guess i will just keep waiting.

JV_
11-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Guess i will just keep waiting.I'm itching for a Gen4 34 or 17 .... I keep going back to my local shop every week!

Caboose
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
The new guns on my dealer's shelves still don't have the new ejector.

I have a Gen 4 G17 that I just recieved straight from Glock for a GSSF prize. Test fire date is October 18th. It has the new ejector, which was confirmed by the armorer at last weekends GSSF match. So the new parts are coming. The armorer at GSSF had the ejectors on hand as well. How new were the guns at your dealer?

The aforementioned gun has gone ~1000 rounds so far without a stoppage yet. Not a conclusive amount by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure I'm doing pretty well for only having the gun 2 weeks.

JV_
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
How new were the guns at your dealer?Dunno, but the last time I checked the spent fired dates they were about 3 weeks old.

Comedian
11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
So the new RSA is good to go? No FTF's?

fuse
11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
RSA wasnt really the problem, most think.

There is a redesigned ejector that is pretty much the holy grail.

JHC
11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
RSA wasnt really the problem, most think.

There is a redesigned ejector that is pretty much the holy grail.

Yeah I'll bet that is how it turns out for the most part.

Prdator
11-01-2011, 07:20 PM
FWIW,

I have two new Gen4 G34's one has the new ejector and the other does not. So far have 1500 ish through the new ejector one and 500 through the standard ejector one. If you take away the shooter induced malfunctions ( me riding the slide stop with my support hand) they are both 100% so far.
I am caring one of them as a EDC now and have faith in them both.
That said I have some new ejectors on the way ( don't ask how) and think that will be the best "FIX" for the gen 4's....

Comedian
11-02-2011, 01:59 AM
I have a Gen 3 G17, but prefer the grip on the Gen 4's. I have read some conflicting reports about which Gen, shoots flatter. Some say the Gen 4's shoot flatter, others say the Gen 3's. Can anyone that has fired both, back to back, comment on this?

JV_
11-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Because of the large spread of recoil spring weights, offered by the various Glock spring iterations, I'm not sure older reports of "flatter" are still valid comparisons.

ToddG
11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I have the new ejector in both my endurance test gun and my backup.

The endurance test gun used to eject consistently to the right with the old ejector. With the new ejector, it now throws brass left and right but I haven't noticed any hitting my face/head.

The test gun had very erratic ejection with the old ejector. The new ejector has not changed the ejection pattern in any way I can see.

In fairness, ejection pattern is not a malfunction. While a lot of people like consistent ejection direction and think it is a sign of a properly functioning gun, my test gun -- which has fired well over 5,000 rounds since installing the new ejector -- hasn't missed a beat. So while the ejection pattern may not be pretty, the new ejector may actually be running the gun better. It will take a lot of people shooting a lot of rounds through a lot of guns before we know anything conclusive.

JHC
11-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Highly consistent ejection piling brass up in a nice pile for so long was a benchmark of 1911's . . . I think it's intrinsic value is applied to other guns. Several tens of thousands of rounds through Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 Glocks and an M&P thrown in have all exhibited varying ejection patterns with extreme reliability of actual function.

JHC
11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I have a Gen 3 G17, but prefer the grip on the Gen 4's. I have read some conflicting reports about which Gen, shoots flatter. Some say the Gen 4's shoot flatter, others say the Gen 3's. Can anyone that has fired both, back to back, comment on this?

I used to think Gen 4's handled flatter until I put a couple thou' rds through comparable RTF2's, virtually side by side they are indistinguishable to my senses. That leads me to think the perceived advantages were due more to the higher traction grip treatments of Gen 4's and RTF2's vs RSA's etc.

Comedian
11-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Highly consistent ejection piling brass up in a nice pile for so long was a benchmark of 1911's . . . I think it's intrinsic value is applied to other guns. Several tens of thousands of rounds through Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 Glocks and an M&P thrown in have all exhibited varying ejection patterns with extreme reliability of actual function.

As long as the pistol shoots when i pull the trigger, then I'm happy. Im not so concerned with ejection patterns.

Nephrology
11-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Concur. Of my 3 9mm Glocks (all Gen 3, some with and some without the new "dip" extractor) they all eject slightly differently.

G26 w/dip kicks brass far and away from me to the right nearly at 3 o'clock. 100%, no malfunctions.
G19 w/ old style LCI extractor has the most erratic ejection, particularly with the wimpier ammo. Some gets in my face, some goes over my shoulder, but most of it ends up going roughly 4 o'clock. Has had a handful of malfunctions in ~5k rounds, most of which I would wager were shooter or ammo induced.
G17 w/dip is in between the two- not nearly as strong as the 26 but hasnt put any into my face so far (even when I accidently reassembled the slide and put the EDP assembly in backwards....oops.) No malfunctions.