PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 7 feed issue

vaspence
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a brand spankin new Model 7 in .260 I just picked up Monday. While loading the rifle to see how smooth the action is I have encountered a problem. The rifle will hold the rounds fine however, it does not want to feed them without requiring some force to close the bolt. It's also scratching the brass and putting an occassional dent into the shoulder (this seems to have gone away). These are dummy rounds (Rem brass with 140gr Corelokts)and I tried live factory rounds after the issue arose, same thing. Removing the stock and mag box I could see brass on the rails in the frame (make sense?). I smoothed these a little by hand with sandpaper but it doesn't seem to have had an affect. Any suggestions? I am stoked to have this rifle, love the caliber, but need to resolve the feeding issue. Any help appreciated.

Spence

peterb
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Have you cleaned it? Sometimes new guns are coated with sticky rust-preventative grease that holds a surprising amount of crud and can impair proper function.

vaspence
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Good question and yes it is clean. I think I may have found the answer, it seems as though the magazine box and the action screw pressure can be related. I readjusted both and the rounds are feeding better, at least the first 3 or 4. The last one is still requiring firm but manageable effort. Feel like I bought a 1911 or something. :0)