PDA

View Full Version : Experience with a Beretta Model 70 or Model 90 in .32?

john c
06-03-2016, 10:43 PM
My Dad's arthritis has gotten to the point where he needs to step down in caliber, again. Because he's been a Beretta man for decades, I'm looking at Beretta .32 acp pistols. Shoot-ability is the primary attribute I'm looking for, so the Tomcat is out. I think it's too small. The Beretta 81 or 82 (if I could find one) is the obvious choice, but cruising Gunbroker I see Beretta model 70 and model 90 pistols for less money. How are these pistols? How is the trigger pull? I shot a buddy's Beretta model 34, on which the model 70 is based, and the trigger was atrocious, like 15+ lbs SA. This pistol would not be shot much, so parts availability is less of an issue. I'll be loading the magazines and racking the pistol for him, so I'm not concerned with his ability to do that on a small pistol.

So, the primary criteria is giving a nice gift to my father, which will be a low volume range shooter.

I'm also considering a Beretta 87, but for now I think the .32 is preferable.

SLG
06-03-2016, 10:51 PM
My Dad's arthritis has gotten to the point where he needs to step down in caliber, again. Because he's been a Beretta man for decades, I'm looking at Beretta .32 acp pistols. Shoot-ability is the primary attribute I'm looking for, so the Tomcat is out. I think it's too small. The Beretta 81 or 82 (if I could find one) is the obvious choice, but cruising Gunbroker I see Beretta model 70 and model 90 pistols for less money. How are these pistols? How is the trigger pull? I shot a buddy's Beretta model 34, on which the model 70 is based, and the trigger was atrocious, like 15+ lbs SA. This pistol would not be shot much, so parts availability is less of an issue. I'll be loading the magazines and racking the pistol for him, so I'm not concerned with his ability to do that on a small pistol.

So, the primary criteria is giving a nice gift to my father, which will be a low volume range shooter.

I'm also considering a Beretta 87, but for now I think the .32 is preferable.

I'm sorry I can't answer most of your questions, but I will say that the several 87's I've handled and owned all spit really badly. Really cool guns - not so much fun to shoot.

RevolverRob
06-03-2016, 11:10 PM
My dad has arthritis in both hands and has always had a fondness of .32 caliber guns. His favorites to date are mostly CZs. with the CZ70 getting a lot of carry time. Although for a long time he had a CZ27 that he liked to carry and that shot stupid well. As in...it's a rotating barrel, all steel, single-action, .32...The safety is funky as hell, but it worked and was dead-ass reliable with every piece of .32 ACP I ever through at it, from junk Eastern European surplus through Fiocchi and Buffalo Bore Heavy .32. Anyways - these CZs I see on Gunbroker are running about 2-3 bills less than the Beretta models you are discussing.

Wish I could help on the Beretta front, but I've got zero experience with Berettas in .32 outside of the Tomcat.

john c
06-04-2016, 10:05 PM
SLG;

When your 87 spit badly, to what do you refer? Was it spraying burning powder from ejecting the brass too early, or actually spitting lead?

Rob;

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the CZ 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLG
06-05-2016, 08:53 AM
IIRC, It was spitting powder out of the ejection port. This was many years ago, and I could be wrong about exactly what the issue was, but all of them were unpleasant to shoot, so I sold mine and didn't buy the others. Large eye pro were essential:-)