PDA

View Full Version : Which DA/SA: P30Sor CZ 75B

Father of 3
06-03-2016, 07:56 PM
So I had my fling a while back with DA/SA in the form of a PCR and then a friend's USP Compact. I concluded that my first shot DA was a liability and since both were decoder only, I sold the PCR and gave the friend back his USP.

After a link to an article in another post, I am willing to revisit this trigger system as it is something I would like to master.

I have two possible used buys at the LGS. One is an OD green CZ 75B and the other is an HK P30S. Since both will allow cocked and locked and hence a consistent SA trigger, I would feel comfortable carrying either until I get more confident/consistent to carry in DA.

I liked the trigger better on the PCR I had versus that of the USP (awful DA) but the P30 has been on my radar since it came out. It has always been out of my price range but my friend who works at the LGS can get me one check of a deal on the P30S.

I know some guys run them both while others have their preference here at P-F. Which of the two would you recommend? CZ is a '06 model and the HK is a '13 I believe.

LockedBreech
06-03-2016, 08:07 PM
As I've never really been a believer in CZ, I'd go HK all the way.

GJM
06-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Not sure your use, but you have a choice between a great gun with a lousy trigger, and a great trigger with a so so Timmie gun. I would buy a CZ to game and HK to survive the food court.

RevolverRob
06-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Beretta PX4 Compact Carry that is coming out soon?

GardoneVT
06-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Beretta 92 Vertec.

Splits the difference between GJMs goalposts. This way you can survive both the game range and the food court with the same gun.

Smitty79
06-03-2016, 09:08 PM
DA isn't that hard to train for. Just do some dry fire regularly. I prefer a decocker gun for defense. When holstering the gun, I have my thumb on the hammer. I'm not a fan of Glock Leg. I'm a huge fan of CZs. The low bore axis allows you to get back on target, after a shot, faster. Also great accuracy for the money.

BCL
06-03-2016, 10:40 PM
What GJM said earlier. The only thing I would add is that if you do want to carry in DA, then the P30S has a safer method of dropping the hammer (decocker versus pulling the trigger while holding the hammer).

RevolverRob
06-03-2016, 10:57 PM
What GJM said earlier. The only thing I would add is that if you do want to carry in DA, then the P30S has a safer method of dropping the hammer (decocker versus pulling the trigger while holding the hammer).

There is a decocker version of the PCR - Which would be the preferable version for anyone not carrying a CZ cocked 'n locked - http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pcr-compact-black-alloy-9mm-14-rd-mags/

I maintain Beretta makes the best DA/SA guns for the money right now. Although some will definitely argue Sig, others CZ, but I'm not sure anyone would argue HK, despite there being a heap more DA/SA Variant guns out and about than LEM models...

BCL
06-03-2016, 10:59 PM
There is a decocker version of the PCR - Which would be the preferable version for anyone not carrying a CZ cocked 'n locked - http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pcr-compact-black-alloy-9mm-14-rd-mags/

You are 100% on the money, the only reason I mentioned it was due to the two guns the OP mentioned as his options.

Handy
06-04-2016, 02:11 AM
Why not average the HK and CZ and get a CZ P-09? Better DA trigger than either.

But I like the Beretta suggestions as well. The 75 is damn heavy, even compared to a Beretta 92.

HCM
06-04-2016, 02:43 AM
I would rather have a Beretta 92G or a SIG PRO as a TDA gun but they do not allow cocked and locked carry.

The thumb safety / thumb safety position on both the standard CZ 75 And the P30s suck for cocked and locked carry. Awkward position on he P30 and hard to hit the standard safety reliably on the CZ.

Plus if you do transition to DA first shot manually de cocking the CZ sucks unless you have a sand barrel in your house.

The HK USP / USPC thumb safety is much more comfortable and easier to reach if you want a cocked and locked HK.

For CZ I would look at either the CZ Shadow and just stick with cocked and locked or better yet the P07 / P09 which can be converted between safety and decoder.

popo22
06-04-2016, 10:13 AM
I realize it wasn't mentioned in the choices but I've always prefered the P99 AS if I am just wanting a DA/SA. Never really cared for the DA of the USP's (at least not when I carried them in the early 90's). Always had good results with the P99 over the years though.

Paltares8
06-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I'd go CZ, but I am a big fan of them. As other folks have said, both could use some work to become great, but in my opinion both should be good enough as is. And if for some reason you don't want to stick with thd CZ, its resell value could be increased by the fact that it's the olive drab. I went with a P07 Duty when I switched from primarily striker fired to da/sa, and had no real problems. I also didn't have that much time invested into sfa's to begin with, so there's that. Regardless of what you choose, good luck, and as you said there's a lot of good info around here that will help

texag
06-04-2016, 11:06 AM
If your ultimate goal is to carry the gun with the hammer down, I would get a gun that's optimized for it.

I have owned both the pitsols in question:

CZ-75B: I'd look to the p07 or p01 for carry. Both will be lighter and have a decocking lever. Decocking manually can obviously be done, but I wouldn't think it's ideal and I always carried my 75B and 75B compact in condition 1 with the safety on. I do not have personal experience with them, but the triggers should be great with Cajun Gun Works parts.

HK P30S: Hated this gun. I also never carried it with the hammer down. After a ~200 round range session, the safety would cause a deep bruise at the base of my thumb with a high thumb grip. If going HK, I would look into a non safety or LEM model. I am about to sell my P30 LEM because I find it one of the most frustrating guns to shoot well I have ever owned. Triggers can be made much better after a significant outlay of money. I wish I could like the P30, because the ergonomics are great, I love the paddle mag release, and it has been very reliable for me. Despite all this, I want to chuck mine over the berm every time I take it shooting and compare it to how well I was able to shoot any of my 9mm glocks or Apex'ed M&Ps.

I recently switched to a WC beretta 92g compact. I'll echo the beretta plug. Trigger can be made very good with some simple spring swaps and they have a lot of potential with wilson comabt parts to be fancied up.