PDA

View Full Version : USP full size .40

GJM
06-02-2016, 08:50 PM
I am thinking of grabbing a LEM, USP full size .40 as a super reliable field pistol, over built for .40, that is accurate and reliable, and will be ergo in inclement weather, often to be used with gloves.

Thoughts?

SLG
06-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Why? You already have the 45's...

Luke
06-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Did Somebody say gloves?

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/9EAD74D8-000A-49ED-849D-F3864A76D99A_zpsbykklrq3.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/9EAD74D8-000A-49ED-849D-F3864A76D99A_zpsbykklrq3.jpg.html)

GJM
06-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Why? You already have the 45's...

I am going to give you a warning point for failing to enable a possible new gun.

El Cid
06-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Wait... They still make 40 caliber ammo??

Nephrology
06-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Yes, buy two.

GJM
06-02-2016, 10:31 PM
It is crazy how deep the HK fan boy thing goes for some. I was just discussing LEM triggers on the phone with YVK, and you would think we were having phone sex based on the cooing sounds he was making.

BCL
06-02-2016, 10:35 PM
I have one that I bought used a couple of years ago. It was made in 99 or so and runs like a top. Everything you would expect from a USP. Recoil impulse isn't horrible either.

Did YVK finally get you to drink the LEM Kool-Aid? If you go the LEM route, use the match catch and the nickel plated sear spring. It makes a big difference.

GJM
06-02-2016, 10:38 PM
I have one that I bought used a couple of years ago. It was made in 99 or so and runs like a top. Everything you would expect from a USP. Recoil impulse isn't horrible either.

Did YVK finally get you to drink the LEM Kool-Aid? If you go the LEM route, use the match catch and the nickel plated sear spring. It makes a big difference.

I think I was doing LEM when YVK's idea of an HK was a P7. Historical fact -- when I first met Darryl, it was on Lightfighter, and by PM he was trying to convince me how DA/SA was better than LEM, and I was trying to convince him the opposite.

Is your USP a .40 and LEM?

BCL
06-02-2016, 10:45 PM
I think I was doing LEM when YVK's idea of an HK was a P7. Historical fact -- when I first met Darryl, it was on Lightfighter, and by PM he was trying to convince me how DA/SA was better than LEM, and I was trying to convince him the opposite.

Is your USP a .40 and LEM?

My how times change and everything goes in cycles.

My USP40 full size is DA/SA, but I've used the match LEM hybrid before in a USP9, definitely my favorite LEM trigger, which I have also been thinking of trying again. My USP40 is pretty accurate as well - I had the HK match adjustable sights on it for a while and was able to shoot 3" groups off-hand at 25yds all day long (which for me is about the limit of my ability on demand). Mags are $30/each on CDNN right now too.

I don't have any complaints other than the non-metal lined polymer mags. I've never had an issue with them personally, but they don't seem as robust as the HK45/P30 mags.

warpedcamshaft
06-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Everytime I think back to my USP 40 days... I wish it had been a 9mm or 45.

Sight tracking was always strange for me probably due to the recoil buffer spring system (as Bruce Grey had commented). I could beat my times solidly with a Glock 23, HK 45, or M&P40.

The only USP I would consider now is a USP 45. Unless I had a pile of free/cheap ammo.

SansSouci
06-03-2016, 11:10 AM
The last duty weapon I've carried was a double-stack H&K USP .45 ACP. That was one HUGE handgun. I so wanted to go back to my P-229 in .40 S&W. Nope. Nada. Administrators make administrative decisions sans input from line personnel and force us to abide. Make no mistake, the H&K USP is top-of-the line. But it was huge and heavy.

newyork
06-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Usp 45 is 31.29 oz with empty mag
P229 is 29.6 oz with empty mag
Not that much different in weight but the USP is bigger in every way.
.45 ammo weighs more too also though.

OlongJohnson
06-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Look for the OP's posts on his 45s.

SLG
06-03-2016, 05:21 PM
I am going to give you a warning point for failing to enable a possible new gun.

You're the last person that needs an excuse to buy another gun. I mentioned the 45's seriously, because what role would the .40 play?

NCmtnman
06-03-2016, 05:36 PM
This sounds like you're reaching out for help, like an addict. It's okay. We get it. Yes, buy the USP. And buy a .357 barrel :cool: If I were going back to .40 it would be in a P30 but that's because I'm not fond of the USP or USPc line. The LEM in them is my favorite though.

GJM
06-03-2016, 06:18 PM
You're the last person that needs an excuse to buy another gun. I mentioned the 45's seriously, because what role would the .40 play?

That is two.....

I have been working on a justification and am confident I will have one with another day of deep thought.

SLG
06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
That is two.....

I have been working on a justification and am confident I will have one with another day of deep thought.

Ok, get a .40 USP so when you tire of it in a week, I can play with it.

See, that's not that hard...:-)

HCM
06-03-2016, 06:33 PM
This sounds like you're reaching out for help, like an addict. It's okay. We get it. Yes, buy the USP. And buy a .357 barrel :cool: If I were going back to .40 it would be in a P30 but that's because I'm not fond of the USP or USPc line. The LEM in them is my favorite though.

I had a P30S in 40 - hated it - super snappy, more so than my USPC or P2000 in .40. Unless split times are a concern, USP > P30 in snappy calibers.

GJM
06-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Ok, get a .40 USP so when you tire of it in a week, I can play with it.

See, that's not that hard...:-)

That is team work!

I had a P30S in 40 - hated it - super snappy, more so than my USPC or P2000 in .40. Unless split times are a concern, USP > P30 in snappy calibers.

I really do like my pair of USP 45 pistols, but they are frankly pretty darn big around town. Per the specs, the USP .40 is smaller in length, lighter in weight and thinner in girth than the USP 45. I like the slab sides of the USP more than the P30, and would be willing to sacrifice some shootability to have a bullet proof .40 designed around the cartridge. I do like it that the USP .40 weighs more than the USP 9, which shows HK was designing a pistol to a cartridge, rather than shoehorning a cartridge into an existing pistol.

Incidentally, I dragged out a HK45C LEM and have been shooting it the last few days and really enjoying it.

gtmtnbiker98
06-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the humor, George. It's been entertaining, so go buy the damn gun!

SLG
06-03-2016, 06:50 PM
That is team work!

I really do like my pair of USP 45 pistols, but they are frankly pretty darn big around town. Per the specs, the USP .40 is smaller in length, lighter in weight and thinner in girth than the USP 45. I like the slab sides of the USP more than the P30, and would be willing to sacrifice some shootability to have a bullet proof .40 designed around the cartridge. I do like it that the USP .40 weighs more than the USP 9, which shows HK was designing a pistol to a cartridge, rather than shoehorning a cartridge into an existing pistol.

Incidentally, I dragged out a HK45C LEM and have been shooting it the last few days and really enjoying it.

Wait, if it's for around town, what happened to the rmr glock?

Just send me the .40 and I'll tell you what to think about it in a few days;-) I have plenty of .40 ammo...

Kyle Reese
06-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Buy the gun, bro. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newyork
06-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Buy it and write up a report on it.

okie john
06-03-2016, 08:23 PM
I am thinking of grabbing a LEM, USP full size .40 as a super reliable field pistol, over built for .40, that is accurate and reliable, and will be ergo in inclement weather, often to be used with gloves.

Thoughts?

This post says nothing about buying a new pistol. My guess is that there's one already in George's safe, he just needs to dig a little deeper and find it. On the other hand, that could be time consuming and could send him off on any number of tangents, so it's probably better if he just goes ahead and buys one.

Okie John

Greg
06-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Ahem.... Here is my enabling attempt > You NEED this gun because of the impending Hildabeast inspired Great-gun-buying-panic-of -Autumn-2016. Additionally, Fo'tay will be hella-plentiful as the mouth breathing, subliterate hoardes who order lunch by yelling into a clown's face have cleared every shelf of 9mm across this nation.

Hope this helped....

BCL
06-03-2016, 10:35 PM

IIRC, the USP was designed around the .40 and the 9mm came later. Do you still have a USP9? The size is basically identical (I can't tell a difference with them side by side), so you could carry that around town for a bit and see if the size fits you. I don't know if 9mm kills anything in Alaska though, so if this is going to get you killed in the streets, then disregard :).

Mike C
06-03-2016, 10:55 PM
It is crazy how deep the HK fan boy thing goes for some. I was just discussing LEM triggers on the phone with YVK, and you would think we were having phone sex based on the cooing sounds he was making.

Is that because he was fondling his P30's at the same time? Seriously though, did he get them back from Rick?

GJM
06-03-2016, 11:17 PM
IIRC, the USP was designed around the .40 and the 9mm came later. Do you still have a USP9? The size is basically identical (I can't tell a difference with them side by side), so you could carry that around town for a bit and see if the size fits you. I don't know if 9mm kills anything in Alaska though, so if this is going to get you killed in the streets, then disregard :).

USP9 is 2,200 miles away, and it has been a while since I coonfingered it.

Is that because he was fondling his P30's at the same time? Seriously though, did he get them back from Rick?

He apparently just had a picture of his HK pistols, so was fondling something else, hopefully a Glock, Beretta or Tanfoglio.

BCL
06-03-2016, 11:20 PM
USP9 is 2,200 miles away, and it has been a while since I coonfingered it.

Fair enough. I think you will have an easier time concealing a USP40 than the USP45, but a slightly more difficult time concealing a USP40 than a P2000.

HCM
06-04-2016, 02:26 AM
This is the real reason for the interest in the USP 40 isn't it ? :rolleyes:

GJM
06-04-2016, 03:59 AM

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/right-to-carry/hk-usp-my-something-about-it-gun/

littlejerry
06-04-2016, 08:32 AM

Oh man.. Flashbacks from my childhood.

Now I'm looking at USP compacts on Gunbroker. You guys suck.

SLG
06-04-2016, 10:28 AM
USP's are super cool..especially when paired with an old Eagle Tac V1, my first issued tac vest. The 90's rock!

BobM
06-04-2016, 12:17 PM
LOL. There is one of those vest hanging in my locker still.

SLG
06-04-2016, 12:21 PM
LOL. There is one of those vest hanging in my locker still.

I wish I still had mine.

JonInWA
06-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Not wanting to derail the thread unnecessarily (which of course means I'm about to), or unduly interfere with the incipient USP buying process, but have you considered a VP40 for the the intended role?

My thoughts are the VP40 possesses updated ergos, very decent trigger out of the box, not any more complex internally than a USP, and more flexibility in configuring the gun to your hand.

Although it's been quite some time since I've fired a USP in .40, my thoughts are that the VP40 will provide an more user-friendly firing experience, due to the combination of its revamped ergos, heavier slide and flatwire RSA.

Best, Jon

GJM
06-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Not wanting to derail the thread unnecessarily (which of course means I'm about to), or unduly interfere with the incipient USP buying process, but have you considered a VP40 for the the intended role?

My thoughts are the VP40 possesses updated ergos, very decent trigger out of the box, not any more complex internally than a USP, and more flexibility in configuring the gun to your hand.

Although it's been quite some time since I've fired a USP in .40, my thoughts are that the VP40 will provide an more user-friendly firing experience, due to the combination of its revamped ergos, heavier slide and flatwire RSA.

Best, Jon

Repeat after me-- "hammer." Repeat as many times as necessary.

Not a competition gun. Priority on not shooting myself AIWB in a bush plane, operation in adverse conditions, and absolute reliability across a wide range of power factor and bullet profile loads.

warpedcamshaft
06-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Repeat after me-- "hammer." Repeat as many times as necessary.

Not a competition gun. Priority on not shooting myself AIWB in a bush plane, operation in adverse conditions, and absolute reliability across a wide range of power factor and bullet profile loads.

That said, the USP 40 is near peerless. Do it.

I've shot cases of ammo from 135gr - 180gr and the USP just digs in and puts out like a Tijuana hooker...

BCL
06-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Top Gun Supply is having a timely sale right now...I'll just leave this here:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/h-k-usp-.40-da-sa-standard-sights.html

GJM
06-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Saw that earlier today! They have one less in stock.

warpedcamshaft
06-04-2016, 07:52 PM

You are smarter than you look... ;)

Greg
06-04-2016, 08:05 PM
You held out for almost 48 hours.

Buy yourself another gun to celebrate your rock ribbed self restraint!

El Cid
06-04-2016, 08:16 PM

For your reloads: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-40-16-Round-Mag-265p301.htm

GJM
06-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I really wanted LEM, but when I saw the "sale," figured I could try it and if I didn't like it, pawn it off on SLG, because he surely has no idea what the different variants are.

$69 for two more rounds -- HK Parts sure is proud of those 16 round magazines.

SLG
06-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I really wanted LEM, but when I saw the "sale," figured I could try it and if I didn't like it, pawn it off on SLG, because he surely has no idea what the different variants are.

As far as I know, all of my guns triggers make the gun fire when you pull them to the rear. When you release the pressure, they reset to allow you to pull them again. Does HK make them differently? I'm sure your new HK works the same way so I'll be happy to shoot it.:-)

BCL
06-04-2016, 08:40 PM
You could always convert it to LEM, although it is a pain in the ass to DIY, mostly due to the LEM hammer.

GJM
06-04-2016, 08:45 PM
As far as I know, all of my guns triggers make the gun fire when you pull them to the rear. When you release the pressure, they reset to allow you to pull them again. Does HK make them differently? I'm sure your new HK works the same way so I'll be happy to shoot it.:-)

Gamers like jst0915 prefer DA/SA, and face shooters like Darryl and YVK go LEM. You can shoot both equally well, so which group do you self identify with?

warpedcamshaft
06-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Just remember... Trigger pulls all feel the same after the 10th shot of Tequila. ;)

SLG
06-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Gamers like jst0915 prefer DA/SA, and face shooters like Darryl and YVK go LEM. You can shoot both equally well, so which group do you self identify with?

I just go into whichever bathroom in Target that I like.

newyork
06-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Damn it I want a USP. Great buy GJM. Let stand know how it is.

YVK
06-04-2016, 09:59 PM

I take it that you yourself are going to carry yours cocked and locked? That's what people do when they don't want to admit that they need to thumb-cock that 18 lbs DA trigger.

GJM
06-04-2016, 10:03 PM

I take it that you yourself are going to carry yours cocked and locked? That's what people do when they don't want to admit that they need to thumb-cock that 18 lbs DA trigger.

Please answer my trolls targeting you in order -- you might want to start with post #7 above.

YVK
06-04-2016, 10:23 PM
I was having a real sex while I was talking to you. Only that could keep me awake in a discussion of anything in 0.40 S&W.

Luke
06-04-2016, 10:31 PM
I've always wanted to have a real sex

taadski
06-04-2016, 11:32 PM
...the USP .40 is smaller in length, lighter in weight and thinner in girth...

Hmmmmm…. Sounds personal. :p

What's really funny though, is that I suspect the genesis of this new intrigue was an incident last week in which our Alaskan superhero muffed a DA first shot at a porcupine on the run. :p He said something to the effect of "…man, that HK DA trigger is HEAVY…I think I'd have been much better off making a precise first round hit on a moving target like that with the LEM…" I couldn't believe he actually said it. :eek: I certainly wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it with my own two ears! Maybe all this spooning and sharing of 'likes' with Darryl has started to rub off. ;)

GJM
06-04-2016, 11:37 PM
I was having a real sex while I was talking to you. Only that could keep me awake in a discussion of anything in 0.40 S&W.

Hmmmmm…. Sounds personal. :p

What's really funny though, is that I suspect the genesis of this new intrigue was an incident last week in which our Alaskan superhero muffed a DA first shot at a porcupine on the run. :p He said something to the effect of "…man, that HK DA trigger is HEAVY…I think I'd have been much better off making a precise first round hit on a moving target like that with the LEM…" I couldn't believe he actually said it. :eek: I certainly wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it with my own two ears! Maybe all this spooning and sharing of 'likes' with Darryl has started to rub off. ;)

Both girls have now reported for duty.

Sigfan26
06-05-2016, 01:48 AM

Are you sure you're not doing it wrong?

CCT125US
06-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I've got a buddy who tried to dump a USP .40 LEM about a year ago. Price was reasonable back then, certainly should be lower now. I have a stack of ammo and my father has a D650 set up in .40. I dumped all my 10mm shorts several years ago.

MRW
06-05-2016, 09:32 AM
What .40 ammo are you looking at testing and using in the USP for field use?

GJM
06-05-2016, 09:38 AM
What .40 ammo are you looking at testing and using in the USP for field use?

The Lehigh and Underwood loads with the 140 Xtreme penetrator bullet, some Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman FMJ, and maybe some hard cast. I am open to other suggestions?

Savage Hands
06-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Yeesh , what forum am I on?

OlongJohnson
06-05-2016, 07:55 PM
You need the toggle set to "google=1" in your URL window to get the best price.

LEM kit
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Heckler-%26-Koch-260204-Universal-LEM-Kit.html?google=1

Jet funnel mags for a lot less. There's information about them not being recommended for serious use, but not really any definitive answers I've been able to find about why. Speculation includes the spring being weaker, or the bodies more susceptible to damage when dropped. If any of the pros here have intel, I'd be interested to hear it. In 9mm, you can get a steel-lined polymer jet funnel mag that is regarded as one of the best HK has ever made.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Heckler-%26-Koch-215116S-USP40-16rd-for-use-w%7B47%7D-jet%252dfunnel-%23216189.html?google=1

The jet funnel mags are best used with the jet funnel kit. Once the kit is installed, the mag well itself is installed or uninstalled with a single screw.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Heckler-%26-Koch-216189-Jet-Funnel-Kit-Req-9mm-18rd%7B47%7D40SW-16rd.html?google=1

El Cid
06-05-2016, 08:21 PM

LEM kit
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Heckler-%26-Koch-260204-Universal-LEM-Kit.html?google=1

Jet funnel mags for a lot less. There's information about them not being recommended for serious use, but not really any definitive answers I've been able to find about why. Speculation includes the spring being weaker, or the bodies more susceptible to damage when dropped. If any of the pros here have intel, I'd be interested to hear it. In 9mm, you can get a steel-lined polymer jet funnel mag that is regarded as one of the best HK has ever made.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Heckler-%26-Koch-215116S-USP40-16rd-for-use-w%7B47%7D-jet%252dfunnel-%23216189.html?google=1

The jet funnel mags are best used with the jet funnel kit. Once the kit is installed, the mag well itself is installed or uninstalled with a single screw.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Heckler-%26-Koch-216189-Jet-Funnel-Kit-Req-9mm-18rd%7B47%7D40SW-16rd.html?google=1

Meh... I use the JF 18 round mags for my USP9 and they work as well as the 15rd versions. They have metal floor plates so I can't imagine dropping them causing serious issues. I use them for reloading. I don't think GJM wants to make the USP40 longer which the funnel does. Also the funnel restricts the gun to just the white mags. I prefer to be able to use all the USP mags.

ETA: those are great prices though! Thanks for posting that!

GJM
06-05-2016, 08:48 PM

LEM kit

wow, outstanding prices! Is that place legit (I ask after my Mastercard number got compromised this weekend)?

Meh... I use the JF 18 round mags for my USP9 and they work as well as the 15rd versions. They have metal floor plates so I can't imagine dropping them causing serious issues. I use them for reloading. I don't think GJM wants to make the USP40 longer which the funnel does. Also the funnel restricts the gun to just the white mags. I prefer to be able to use all the USP mags.

ETA: those are great prices though! Thanks for posting that!

no jet funnel here, but I would like a few more cartridges in the reload, if the mags are just as reliable as the standard capacity ones.

OlongJohnson
06-05-2016, 08:56 PM
wow, outstanding prices! Is that place legit (I ask after my Mastercard number got compromised this weekend)?

They've been around awhile. I don't remember if I've ordered anything from them. I think a bunch of guys on HKPro got in on that mag price, and no complaints.

OlongJohnson
06-05-2016, 09:17 PM
As long as I'm brain-dumping deals in this thread, here's a Tactical for a great price.

https://www.hkspecialiststore.com/product-detail?productId=1258&categoryId=12&pageSize=10&sortBy=sequence&pageNumber=14

Tall adjustable sights and threaded barrel, so not really a CC piece, but just in case someone's looking for it...

I can vouch for this seller. Have done business with him personally, and he has an outstanding reputation on HKPro.

DacoRoman
06-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Strange bad timing. I just traded in a USP .40 DA/SA full size about 2 weeks ago.