PDA

View Full Version : Help with a "Small" caliber handgun for wife

Paltares8
06-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Hey folks, hope everyone is well and good. I'm hoping to get some advice on getting my wife a new handgun. She pretty much only shoots .22lr, but after a recent incident were I had to dispatch a raccoon, she finally realized that in a self defense situation that probably won't cut it. She's leaning toward a Ruger in .380 ( lcp?) that us the same "raspberry" color as her SR22. I know there is an "upgraded" version that doesn't come in pink that is supposed to be a little better. Anyways, I don't see her getting a 9mm or anything greater than. She can shoot my P07 fairly well, but doesn't like to, and doesn't like shooting any striker fired pistols. So I've been looking in to .25, .32 and .380, but have no experience with any of those calibers. She would like to be able to conceal in a thigh or garter holster, so it'll have to be small. All I've really been able to find are the Ruger, some Bersas, some Tauruses, Walthers, etc. If anyone had any recommendations or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

rd62
06-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Maybe one of the Beretta models? Pico, tomcat, or bobcat? (.380, .32 acp, or .25 acp)

Paltares8
06-01-2016, 09:27 PM
I was/am pretty interested in the Pico, and the Nano. She's considering it because she knows they're a good brand. She really likes the Ruger though, and our local shop has one for about $200. I just really don't know anything about those types of guns and have never really been interested in them. I think a range around us has a Pico or Nano so we'll try them out this week.

Cookie Monster
06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Glock 42?

I like mine, my house/relaxing pocket gun and ankle gun.

ssb
06-01-2016, 09:38 PM
I think the LCP in .380 is a poor choice. It's a gun that's both unpleasant and difficult to shoot. It's going to hurt her hand (hell, it hurts mine), the sights suck, and the trigger sucks. Both of those things translate to "probably won't practice much with it." It has a niche, but "good gun for a recoil-sensitive shooter" isn't it.

I'd suggest having her try a Glock 42 despite her dislike of striker-fired pistols (any particular reason?). Still a .380, still rather small, but dramatically less recoil.

Edit: Ruger makes a LC380 (not the LCP) that behaves similarly, and has a DAO-ish trigger with a hammer.

Paltares8
06-01-2016, 09:49 PM
No particular reason for not liking striker fired, she just prefers hammer fired as that is what she learned on. I had heard the Ruger wasn't that great, and am glad I have an opinion that backs that up. She likes a safety though and that pretty much excludes Glocks

Malamute
06-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Probably completely off topic,....but perhaps a P08 in 7.65. Easy to shoot. Grips may be available in other colors if desired.

Been reading too many threads with arcane pistols as subject matter.

GJM
06-01-2016, 11:32 PM
Up here, the recommendation would be a .41 magnum for ma.

Kennydale
06-01-2016, 11:43 PM
My wife thought this was CUTE and wanted it for her first firearm too. Till the slide bit her on the first shot, and the recoil was too much for her. After trying out a few other firearms . She opted for a Ruger LCR in .38+P and a Glock G26 (Which she does like the best)

olstyn
06-01-2016, 11:44 PM
The SIG P238 would seem to fit the desired parameters. Does anybody know if they run well? I have no experience with them, but the stated desire for a small, concealable .380 with a manual safety seems to read like the spec sheet for that gun, so it seemed like a worthwhile question at least in my mind. They almost have to be more comfortable to shoot and have better sights than the LCP, at least.

Totem Polar
06-02-2016, 12:02 AM
P238 is probably the next most gentle recoiling small .380 after the G42. I had one: no complaints other than it munched through recoil springs like a dope fiend on a bag of Doritos. I got maybe 300 rounds out of a spring on my 1st gen P238, IIRC. I prefer the G42 in almost every way, FWIW, if one is sticking to .380.

gkieser92
06-02-2016, 12:10 AM
There is a Ruger that is the LC9 but chambered in .380. I think it was intended for this exact situation. An SP101 with standard .38s may be good for a revolver.

Handy
06-02-2016, 03:05 AM
I like to have an alternative to a 9mm pistol, but have found that small 9mms aren't that much larger than most .32s and .380s, so there didn't seem like much point. Especially when you factor in holsters, which you can't really skip if your "pocket gun" has a 5 pound trigger, like a P32 or LCP.

Long story short, I bought a Beretta 950. It is so "inert" in condition 2 that I can carry it in a pocket, but can still be fired with one hand. It is small, light, safe, reliable in .25 and can be shot with a high degree of accuracy. .25 sucks, but so does .32; at least .25 is easier to put your shots where you want. I carry ball, so it at least penetrates.

Of the little Berettas, the 950 and 20 (SA and TDA, respectively) are smaller than the popular 21.

Otherwise, I would just step all the way up to some sort of locked breech .380, since they don't kick like a blowback gun and have enough oomph to make an HP expand.

JHC
06-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Glock 42 has been the go to here. It's recoil is remarkably light and it can deliver some serious performance with practice (as in many of our standard drills out to 25 yards).

hufnagel
06-02-2016, 05:48 AM
I'll have to side with the revolver crowd if she wants a small, lightweight GTF Off me firearm. I think the real deciding factor in firearm choice is going to be the ammo. What level of performance do you need and what kind of recoil does it generate. From there you can work up what firearms would be in the running.

JHC
06-02-2016, 05:53 AM
I'll have to side with the revolver crowd if she wants a small, lightweight GTF Off me firearm. I think the real deciding factor in firearm choice is going to be the ammo. What level of performance do you need and what kind of recoil does it generate. From there you can work up what firearms would be in the running.

Thanks for highlighting the basic GTF Off me role. That is actually where almost all female gun carriers close to me are; not in supermax performance at the outer edge of pistol capability. Airweight .38s hurt a fair bit but steel J frames aren't that bad.

mmc45414
06-02-2016, 06:06 AM
The SIG P238 would seem to fit the desired parameters.
I won one at a Ducks Unlimited banquet. It was a neat little gun and you can hit with it. I was going to keep it since I figured there was not a big market for selling a 380 that was worth that much. But then I had an opportunity to sell it to a friend of a friend's wife, who wanted one but had balked at the price and I made this one available at a bit less painful level than retail. But the closer was I let them take it home and shoot it, and she started dropping her first shots with it right on target, SOLD!

I put the money into a S&W 69, I figured I needed two 44s more than I needed two 380s :)

Paltares8
06-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to have her read all this after we get the kids to school. Does anybody like any of the other smaller calibers or is .380 pretty much the go to? I'd prefer she get a .380 anyways just to be able to always get quality ammo, or .38. I just worry about the snappiness it is known for. But she is pretty determined to get something more suited for self defense so she'll figure it out.

hufnagel
06-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks for highlighting the basic GTF Off me role. That is actually where almost all female gun carriers close to me are; not in supermax performance at the outer edge of pistol capability. Airweight .38s hurt a fair bit but steel J frames aren't that bad.

As a newb student to the airweight .38s, I can tell you I was (neutral?) surprised at the operation and difficulties of shootability of it. I can see how a couple boxes of 158gr through it could cause one to have a decent bruise forming in their hand. 125gr was less unpleasant but by no means a pleasure. It will be interesting to see what my intended carry ammo choice will feel like (135gr +P) once I find some. However I recognize that it's not going to be a shoot 1000s of rounds a day type of gun and if I need it to perform any "discomfort" it creates after the fact is a trade off I'm willing to accept. It's the latter part that makes it difficult for 1-gun low-practice owners. If it hurts to shoot you're not going to shoot it enough to become confident in it doing the job intended, when called upon, and I can totally see women being the more practical of the two genders.

The more I shoot and the more things I own to shoot, the more I see how amazing a crap shoot it is that people find something they like to shoot and do so with any regularity, and how incredibly easy it is rip the wheels off the bus with an unintended "poor" choice right out of the gate.

hufnagel
06-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to have her read all this after we get the kids to school. Does anybody like any of the other smaller calibers or is .380 pretty much the go to? I'd prefer she get a .380 anyways just to be able to always get quality ammo, or .38. I just worry about the snappiness it is known for. But she is pretty determined to get something more suited for self defense so she'll figure it out.

You're out in the Guns and God's country. There has to be shops with ranges that rent, even if you have to step over the border to OH, WV, MD. Look for one and be willing to drop a couple bills on a day's outing, renting and trying all kinds of flavors. I've made that recommendation to several people and the response I continue to get is it's the best $100, $200, $300 they've ever spent before buying a firearm. If you do, post up so I can reference it in the future, as I have "family & friends" in that neck of the woods.

David S.
06-02-2016, 07:03 AM
I can't tell based on your post if you you expect her to carry in public (CCW) much or if this is more of an "around the house" or "nightstand" gun. Before reading the comments, I assumed the latter.

Based on that, my first though was the SIG P250 in .380.

I really want to get one of these in my wife's hands. She's also very recoil sensitive.

VolGrad
06-02-2016, 07:26 AM
I think the LCP in .380 is a poor choice. It's a gun that's both unpleasant and difficult to shoot. It's going to hurt her hand (hell, it hurts mine), the sights suck, and the trigger sucks. Both of those things translate to "probably won't practice much with it." It has a niche, but "good gun for a recoil-sensitive shooter" isn't it.

I'd suggest having her try a Glock 42 despite her dislike of striker-fired pistols (any particular reason?). Still a .380, still rather small, but dramatically less recoil.

Edit: Ruger makes a LC380 (not the LCP) that behaves similarly, and has a DAO-ish trigger with a hammer.
This. LCP isn't the gun for a novice. G42 for the win.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

warpedcamshaft
06-02-2016, 08:19 AM
The Glock 42 has been a good choice for several individuals I am aware of with severe arthritis and multiple joint replacements.

Range sessions up to the 100 round mark with minimal pain.

Paltares8
06-02-2016, 08:21 AM
@DavidS, this will be her ccw. @hufnagel, that is our plan for our next night out, whenever that happens. We really only have 2 decent ranges reasonably close that have rentals, but that's better than nothing. I think she liked the Ruger a lot because of how cheap it is, and her favorite.22 is her SR22. I know she won't go for a Glock (no safety) but I think the Sig could be a contender, along with the Beretta and a few others. Time to try and find a sitter for the boys and try some out

SLG
06-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Does she have any physical issues that limit her to 380? I know you said hammer fired, which I prefer as well, but if you are even looking at a G 42, then I would at least look at a G43. The G43 may be bigger and heavier than she can carry, IDK, but it recoils very softly, as does the S&W Shield. Both shoot like bigger guns and hit much harder than any of the mouse guns. The shield more so, but it is bigger than the 43.

Why a garter holster, if you don't mind me asking? That's not a common thing these days so it makes me curious?

When looking at a "basic GTF Off ME gun", more power is definitely better, given the proximity of the BG and urgent need to stop the fight NOW!

I don't believe in switching guns for shooting performance, but in this case, pure performance is not much of an issue, so it might be feasible to carry the 9mm, and practice more with the 380 or even 22. Plus, she might grow to really like the 9mm. Let us know.

Hauptmann
06-02-2016, 09:27 AM
There is no excuse why she should not be able to conceal carry a G19......period. In fact, she probably needs to consider two for good redundancy.

......I was just kidding on that, BTW.;)

In all seriousness, if she insists on going with a super small and light pistol she would be better off using a smaller caliber so that she can shoot the thing well. I have observed a number of older folks, and women try to shoot the G43 9mm and it is a bit much for them if they are recoil sensitive resulting in poor shooting performance. Give the same shooters a .22lr or even a .380 and the scores get better. The Ruger LCP .380 is just too small for the caliber.....it is not a pleasant shooter. The Glock G42 would be the ideal .380acp now days, but if she doesn't like striker fired......meh? I would suggest trying to make the G42 work for her. If not, maybe a S&W 642 air weight with standard pressure .38spl?

Paltares8
06-02-2016, 09:36 AM
She's gotten a lot better at shooting my P07 as far as handling recoil and all that, but she has fairly small hands, so that kind if limits her. @SLG, she wouldn't exclusively carry in a garter or thigh holster, but she pretty much wears skirts and dresses throughout spring and summer, so sometimes there is no waistband to utilize, and when there is she's usually wearing a tank top or something that doesn't help concealability. I really appreciate all the input guys, as does she. We are due for a range trip, so we'll be trying a lot of things out. I'd love for her to find a 9mm that she is comfortable shooting and can shoot well and also conceal. If we go and she tries a .380 and it's not much better than a 9mm recoil-wise I'm sure she'll just go with that. Thanks again for all the input.

BillSWPA
06-02-2016, 09:41 AM
If your wife is serious about carrying concealed in public, that is really good. Doing so in the more form fitting and/or revealing clothes typically worn by women is a huge challenge, so I understand the thigh holster.

Regarding calibers, her ability to hit her intended target will be more critical than meeting any minimum stopping power requirements, even if it means carrying a .22.

Stay away from .25. In my limited experience with both calibers, .25 will provide even less penetration than .22. The cost of practice ammo could also mean more practice with the .22.

A Kel-Tec P-32 is very comfortable to shoot, and Crimson Trace LaserGuards are available for it. Holsters are readily available for this combination (although I have never looked into thigh holsters). If you get one, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND 11 lb. Wolff recoil springs to avoid first shot jams when the gun is loaded with 7+1.

The P3AT is the gun that the LCP is based on. I carry one regularly. While I find the recoil to be pleasant, someone who is recoil-shy will not like it. Like a P-32, it also benefits from recoil springs that are 2 lb. heavier than factory standard, which in this case means using 13 lb. springs rather than 11 lb.

The recommendations above for a Glock 42 are sound. A lady did some excellent shooting with a lavender-framed one in the last NRA Basic Pistol class I taught.

Given the types of holsters in which your wife is likely to carry her gun, I would be concerned about a 1911 style pistol. The trigger and thumb safety would need to be very well protected. However, if a thigh holster offering such protection could be found or custom made, then the Sig P238 could be a good choice.

I respectfully suggest reconsidering the requirements for a safety and hammer-fired. These requirements - particularly the safety - rule out most of the best choices.

TheNewbie
06-02-2016, 09:50 AM
I know it's bersa but.......

Their .380 is very shootable and I know a few people who really like them.

Paltares8
06-02-2016, 10:19 AM
@BillSWPA I have heard some good about both KelTecs you've mentioned. They'll both be on our list to look in to. And I'll remember what you said about the springs too. Also, I've told her that there aren't many hammer fired pistols like she's looking for and she's ok with that. As far as having a safety, she would very much prefer having one. Also, off topic, but she and I both would like to take some training courses. Where do you do your training? And are there any places you recommend in southwest PA? @thenewbie, I've also heard a few good things about Bersa's offerings. Our LGS has one that we can check out.

Jim Watson
06-02-2016, 10:21 AM
A Kel-Tec P-32 is very comfortable to shoot,

Here we go.
I bought a P32 before the 3AT, LCP, and other flyweight plastic .380s came out.
The .32 is MUCH more manageable than the barely larger .380s of the type.

I have no experience with the dwarf Glocks, but several here say they are shootable.

Likewise the Sig P238 and 938. They are pretty much knockoffs of the Colt Mustang.
I have a real Colt .380 Go'vt that is a pleasure to shoot, but long out of production and trading at high prices.

psalms144.1
06-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Regarding calibers, her ability to hit her intended target will be more critical than meeting any minimum stopping power requirements, even if it means carrying a .22.

Stay away from .25. In my limited experience with both calibers, .25 will provide even less penetration than .22. The cost of practice ammo could also mean more practice with the .22.

A Kel-Tec P-32 is very comfortable to shoot, and Crimson Trace LaserGuards are available for it.

The recommendations above for a Glock 42 are sound. A lady did some excellent shooting with a lavender-framed one in the last NRA Basic Pistol class I taught.

Given the types of holsters in which your wife is likely to carry her gun, I would be concerned about a 1911 style pistol. The trigger and thumb safety would need to be very well protected. However, if a thigh holster offering such protection could be found or custom made, then the Sig P238 could be a good choice.So much win in this one reply. The Keltec P32, while "only" a .32 ACP, is the only fly-weight semi-auto my wife willingly shoots. Tried to up-gun her to the P3AT, and that was a DISASTER that took months of .22 only to recover from (not to mention the darned thing broke three times, requiring trips back to the mother ship each time).

The G42 is larger and heavier, and allows the increase in caliber that might be worth the effort; IF she can get comfortable with the Safe Action trigger. The G43 is another step up in power, but, frankly, I find it hard to shoot well between the heavy trigger and "slippery" grip (plus my hands are just too darned big for it).

I also like the Kahrs, but they're another step up in price, and can be touchy during break in.

The Walther PPS gets a lot of love for a single-stack 9mm as well, though I've never shot one. It is another notch up the size range from the G43, so I'm not sure just how large she's willing to carry. Of course, it sounds like she was out and about with her SR22, so, any of the above should be workable, with the right holster.

Lastly, while it gets me tarred and feathered in most places, I'll advocate AGAINST the airweight J-frame. Yes, its simplicity is enviable, likewise its reputation for reliability, but I find the Airweight J-frame to have very unpleasant recoil with all but the lightest target loads, with skimpy, hard-to-focus-on sights, and a heavy trigger. A steel framed snub is more pleasant to shoot, but still has marginal sights and heavy trigger; plus I just can't imagine concealing one in a thigh/garter rig would be at all comfortable...

Best of luck, and let us know how things proceed!

BillSWPA
06-02-2016, 11:43 AM
@BillSWPA I have heard some good about both KelTecs you've mentioned. They'll both be on our list to look in to. And I'll remember what you said about the springs too. Also, I've told her that there aren't many hammer fired pistols like she's looking for and she's ok with that. As far as having a safety, she would very much prefer having one. Also, off topic, but she and I both would like to take some training courses. Where do you do your training? And are there any places you recommend in southwest PA? @thenewbie, I've also heard a few good things about Bersa's offerings. Our LGS has one that we can check out.

For training in Southwest Pennsylvania, I recommend:

1) Inpax. I have known the owner for many years, and he is a very knowledgeable and capable instructor who will make your wife very comfortable with the learning experience. http://livewithconfidence.com/

2) Protective Shooting Concepts. At least one, and likely more, of their instructors are participants here. I am not a part of the organization, but have taught the legal section of some of their classes. Their classes will be quite worthwhile. http://www.protectiveshootingconcepts.com/

TheNewbie
06-02-2016, 02:08 PM
What about the Walter ppks in 32 or 380? Reading the Internet makes them sound not so reliable but I don't know...

Clusterfrack
06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
What about the Walter ppks in 32 or 380? Reading the Internet makes them sound not so reliable but I don't know...

20# DA trigger pull...

TheNewbie
06-02-2016, 02:34 PM
20# DA trigger pull...

Lol ignore my post then!

They model it after the Nagant?

hufnagel
06-02-2016, 03:17 PM
When it comes to women and carrying guns, especially women who don't want to dress like men since most gun rigs are based around having a belt, she'll want to read up on articles from women who carry. I've pointed a few lady friends to the likes of Kathy Jackson (corneredcat.com, PAX on here, and whom I haven't seen post lately :( ) Tamara is also an excellent person to listen to.
And despite some "dislike" for the hosting side for the following I'll link you to this... http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/sara-tipton/gear-review-desantis-womens-concealment-thigh-holster/
Sara's had some decent insights into women's carry issues it seems, at least from a lowly neanderthal like me. :D

Paltares8
06-02-2016, 07:35 PM
She has checked out thecorneredcat.com and it had quite a few things that really helped her. I generally agree with and appreciate Tamara's posts as well, so maybe I'll have my wife check some out that may help. Thanks again guys

RevolverRob
06-03-2016, 05:55 PM
My wife likes the Kahr CM9 and CW9, either carried in a hip holster (rarely, the CM9) or much more frequently a purse (CW9). I like the CW9 as an excellent gun for recoil sensitive/small handed shooters. Heck, I just like the gun overall. It has a few sharp edges a needle file and stone can remove. But in terms of cost (usually available for less than $350) and trigger (excellent DA trigger, without being too long, too short, or too heavy). And the CW9, especially, is a gun that is more than big enough to shoot well, without being "too big".

I cannot get my wife to shoot my Airweight J-Frames, without downloading them to wadcutters. She does not like the double-action pull of most revolvers. She got spoiled early-on by the DA pulls of 3rd Gen Smiths and then Kahrs. The only other platform she will consider are guns from Beretta that are not 92-series guns (too big for her hands).

Buckshot
06-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Definitely not so reliable in the made in the USA versions. The 380 has a very stiff recoil spring & kicks HARD compared to modern 380s. I've had to do reliability work on lots of them over the years. Working on one now that has been back to S&W 3 times - I'm very certain its possessed!

Chuck Whitlock
06-04-2016, 09:05 PM
My wife likes the Kahr CM9 and CW9, either carried in a hip holster (rarely, the CM9) or much more frequently a purse (CW9). I like the CW9 as an excellent gun for recoil sensitive/small handed shooters. Heck, I just like the gun overall. It has a few sharp edges a needle file and stone can remove. But in terms of cost (usually available for less than $350) and trigger (excellent DA trigger, without being too long, too short, or too heavy). And the CW9, especially, is a gun that is more than big enough to shoot well, without being "too big".

I am a fan of the CW9 as well.

She has checked out thecorneredcat.com and it had quite a few things that really helped her. I generally agree with and appreciate Tamara's posts as well, so maybe I'll have my wife check some out that may help. Thanks again guys

Tamara did an article on the Walther CCP, which might fit the bill:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/7/1/walther-ccp-9-mm/

olstyn
06-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Tamara did an article on the Walther CCP, which might fit the bill:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/7/1/walther-ccp-9-mm/

Not sure if things are sorted out properly now, but I know a lot of people on the Walther forum were reporting a lot of weird issues with the CCP for a pretty long period. I'd do some serious research before jumping into that pool.

FrankinCA
06-05-2016, 08:52 AM
I don't have the shooting experience most have here, but I would suggest
Beretta 84 or 85 (8 or 13 round capacity)
It is a larger .380 pistol, but less recoil and won't bite her hand.
Alternative is Glock , depending on hand size.
Kahr also makes the K9 or P9
The smaller firearms like Sig P238 are nice, but even for seasoned shooters, it's a handful. I think going up a size like a Beretta would make more sense. Just my two centavos....good luck.

Sasage
06-05-2016, 11:00 AM
I let my fiance shoot a LC9, Glock 19, 26, Shield, 43 and 42....she chose the 26.

Tamara
06-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Not sure if things are sorted out properly now, but I know a lot of people on the Walther forum were reporting a lot of weird issues with the CCP for a pretty long period. I'd do some serious research before jumping into that pool.

I only had the two different test guns. They worked okay, but I probably only shot a combined total of a thousand rounds through the pair. I don't recollect any stoppages. Biggest complaints were the kinda junky trigger and the less-than-positive action of the thumb safety lever.

Paltares8
06-05-2016, 06:43 PM
I just showed her the CCP. I hope we can find one to try. I remember seeing some promising things about them awhile ago, then they seemed to fall off the map. @Tamara, I hate to single you out specifically, but if you were trying to get someone who's pretty sensitive to recoil to carry a 9mm, what would you recommend? Fortunately my wife is fairly motivated and knows that nothing is going to compare to a .22 or the like. Again, thanks to everyone for their input

Lex Luthier
06-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Everything I *read* about the EAA Pavona series pistols is uniformly positive, but I have never used one.
(and surprise surprise, one cannot believe everything one hears.)
If those positives are not pure marketing BS, I assume the reason they are not more widely lauded is the dearth of spare parts and accessories?

TGS
06-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I don't think I've seen the P250 in 380 mentioned yet.

Is that too large or DQ'd for another reason?

Tamara
06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
It's just smaller than G19 size, but I think it's be the heat for those with less grip strength or who were recoil shy. I think that if those things got into wider circulation and were advertised right, they would own their niche.

Totem Polar
06-07-2016, 01:35 PM
^^^(raises eyebrows) noted.

Chuck Haggard
06-07-2016, 02:01 PM
It's just smaller than G19 size, but I think it's be the heat for those with less grip strength or who were recoil shy. I think that if those things got into wider circulation and were advertised right, they would own their niche.

Wish I had remembered to bring some .380 to be able to shoot that thing when you were here.

Tamara
06-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Surely you will be passing through Indy at some point. There's an indoor range blocks from my house.

David S.
06-07-2016, 03:25 PM
I don't think I've seen the P250 in 380 mentioned yet.

Is that too large or DQ'd for another reason?

I can't seem to find a compact at a reasonable price.

I've seen a couple subcompacts here and there but I can't find anyone with a compact (what I'd want).

Paltares8
06-07-2016, 08:42 PM
I didn't even know there was a 250 in .380. And they have a compact and subcompact, right? The modularity of it is cool enough, and I've seen the good things some of you are saying about them. I wonder if we'll ever be able to find one in person as it seems the 320's have replaced them everywhere.

Chuck Whitlock
06-09-2016, 10:44 PM
I didn't even know there was a 250 in .380. And they have a compact and subcompact, right? The modularity of it is cool enough, and I've seen the good things some of you are saying about them. I wonder if we'll ever be able to find one in person as it seems the 320's have replaced them everywhere.

Your dealer can order it.

RoyGBiv
06-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Haven't read all 6 pages so forgive me if this has been mentioned already.
The Walther CCP 9mm is the softest shooting gun I've handled in an acceptable defensive caliber.

Tamara
06-10-2016, 07:33 AM
While I had the first CCP test gun, I had it at an event where I was able to let shooters of all different sizes and skill levels get a chance to shoot it, from shorter-than-average women with fairly small hands...

...to taller-than-average men with fairly large hands.

Responses were generally favorable, within the context of the gun being presented as a budget-level carry piece.

mmc45414
06-10-2016, 08:48 AM
I wonder if maybe someday, just as she is transitioning to 380 from 22, it could be converted to 9mm?

In no way am I suggesting you push her, my wife still doesn't shoot or carry after some dumb young guy, who l look at in the mirror every day, tried to push her into too much too soon, but maybe an upgrade path could be handy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Paltares8
06-10-2016, 08:56 PM
@mmc, I'd prefer she carry a 9mm, and she knows it. But, most of all she and I want her to carry something; period. So for her to consistently do that, I want her to have something she not only likes but is comfortable with. If she can move up to .380, that's a start. 9mm I'd be content. Like I said earlier, she can shoot my 9mms fairly well, so with some practice she could probably be ok with it. I think part of the problem is that she's so used to shooting .22lr that she has is her mind that that is what shooting feels like, so when she shoots anything else it seems crazy. Fortunately we will be able to get to the range much more frequently now, and with her resolve to find a "defensive" caliber pistol, I'm sure we will soon. Thanks again to everyone for all the info.

Eta: that's a very appealing aspect of the 250. I thought it was only in 9mm, 357sig, 40, and 45. But in .380 it is potentially big enough to soak up some recoil, and switching calibers is always an option. I'm also kind of hoping she likes the CCP

RoyGBiv
06-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Try not to be too dissuaded by the disassembly process for the CCP.
So far that's its only demerit.

mmc45414
06-11-2016, 09:04 AM
I think part of the problem is that she's so used to shooting .22lr that she has is her mind that that is what shooting feels like, so when she shoots anything else it seems crazy.

Eta: that's a very appealing aspect of the 250. I thought it was only in 9mm, 357sig, 40, and 45. But in .380 it is potentially big enough to soak up some recoil, and switching calibers is always an option.

I am wondering if a future transition would be eased by having the exact same platform, or perhaps even the same gun that she is then comfortable with in the alternative. Sounds like you gotta good plan.

Chuck Whitlock
06-11-2016, 08:05 PM
I wonder if maybe someday, just as she is transitioning to 380 from 22, it could be converted to 9mm?

In no way am I suggesting you push her, my wife still doesn't shoot or carry after some dumb young guy, who l look at in the mirror every day, tried to push her into too much too soon, but maybe an upgrade path could be handy.

Eta: that's a very appealing aspect of the 250. I thought it was only in 9mm, 357sig, 40, and 45. But in .380 it is potentially big enough to soak up some recoil, and switching calibers is always an option. I'm also kind of hoping she likes the CCP

Sig advertises that the P250 in .22 is convertible to the center fire calibers, so I imagine the .380 would be also.