PDA

View Full Version : Things that annoy cont'd

gtmtnbiker98
10-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Okay, enough is enough. On another forum, synonymous with my avatar (you figure it out) I cannot believe the number of "I scratched my gun threads." People are really annoying me today or my BS tolerance has diminished to the point that I simply cannot stand a particular forum anymore.

I hate to tell them, but shooting firearms and general use will cause wear. When I do, I am labeled a prick. Gotta love gun collectors.

SecondsCount
10-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I remember those days. Saved for five months for my first pistol. It got got a thorough cleaning after every range trip and put back in the case it came in.

These days one of my pistols is lucky if it gets cleaned once a month. We were visiting some friends and he pulled out an older, but spotless HK to show me and then on request I showed him my gun, then my wifes. Both were pretty dirty and he asked "Do you ever clean yours?" I replied "Do you ever shoot yours?" :D

Nothing wrong with a taking care of your guns but they are only new for a day.

Odin Bravo One
10-31-2011, 10:06 PM
I scratched a gun once. As I cried, I put them all in the safe wrapped in fine linen so I would be sure to never scratch another one ever again.............

To each their own, but makes wonder why they even bother.....

JDM
10-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Nothing makes me happier then good, hard earned finish wear. It means I'm doing my job.

JRL
11-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Okay, enough is enough. On another forum, synonymous with my avatar (you figure it out) I cannot believe the number of "I scratched my gun threads." People are really annoying me today or my BS tolerance has diminished to the point that I simply cannot stand a particular forum anymore.

Found your problem right there.

Dagga Boy
11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I brought my favorite, most carried, and well used P7 out to a Vickers class to shoot a little on breaks and lunch. The host of the class looked at the gun (very worn finish, and more silver than black on a lot of it), looked at the single hole group in the head (with X/S sights no less....), and said "people who have guns that look like that scare me". I would bet that nobody has ever made an observation like that on the gun in the glad bag holster without a single scratch on it. This is also common on the knife forums (which I am totally off now). I have some of the most collectable "tactical knives" out there, and these guys cry when they see scratches and carry marks. I have one of the most desirable and collectable Strider knives ever made.....its covered in krylon and totally beat to sh*t.......and has killed things (battle to the death with a Mohave Green rattlesnake) and broken lots of stuff for real. I like heavily worn guns. I love heavily worn guns that have done God's work. Those guns are scratched and worn.

JohnN
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM

I hate to tell them, but shooting firearms and general use will cause wear. When I do, I am labeled a prick. Gotta love gun collectors.

I would have to think the majority of the folks on that forum don't shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year and talk about it all year.

CCT125US
11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Having someone tell me to save my carry ammo.... I think WTF. I need to check reliability, reliability with multiple mags., sure functioning, POI at various ranges, at least 15 over the chronograph to check for load consistency / standard deviation. I mean really save for what.... the statistical improbability that I will be in multiple gunfights before I can stock back up? Thats why I laugh when someone buys a 25rd box of super duper premium knock your socks off self defense ammo... I understand people have budgets and buying 25rds for $30 seems crazy to a new gun owner... after all the mag. holds less than that so anything more is stockpiling right? But come on, at least put a box through it. Thx I feel better now

theblacknight
11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
The last 3 gun I shot had a IPSC target for rifle at 70m. People where shitting the bed before the 1st buzzer. " I wish they would have told us in the email, I left my ACOG @ home (looks at ET552).

"I'm gonna reshoot, my fiber front fell out"

"if your holster wasnt in your pants you'd be faster"

"dropping your magazine lets the bad guy know your dry"

"don't move the gun, just bring the magazine straight up"

"I don't lube my rifle, it just makes the dirt stick"

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
They are tools. Tools will get scratched, worn, and beat-up. Whenever someone hands me their "precious", I make sure to scratch it across the rivets on my pants, accidentally drop it on the ground while handing it back to them, then step on it and perhaps inadvertently kick it along the ground during my kind-hearted attempt to pick "precious" up. Look how Freddie Blish and Nyeti used to treat their Aimpoints during demos...

gtmtnbiker98
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I would have to think the majority of the folks on that forum don't shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year and talk about it all year.
Agreed! I bring that up all the time and I am not nice about it. Some are very knowledgeable, the rest just give me a headache.

Joe in PNG
11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
They are tools. Tools will get scratched, worn, and beat-up. Whenever someone hands me their "precious", I make sure to scratch it across the rivets on my pants, accidentally drop it on the ground while handing it back to them, then step on it and perhaps inadvertently kick it along the ground during my kind-hearted attempt to pick "precious" up. Look how Freddie Blish and Nyeti used to treat their Aimpoints during demos...

Doc, I'm NOT going to let you shoot my S&W 1917...

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
While I understand, it is unfortunate, as I promise the old revolver would have had more character when I handed it back to you...

Joe in PNG
11-02-2011, 01:28 AM
While I understand, it is unfortunate, as I promise the old revolver would have had more character when I handed it back to you...

I appreciate the thought, but it's my hope that, through the Dark Arts, I may be able to transmogrify that old revolver into a brand new Colt 6920- and various scratches, nicks, and dings do tend to interfere with said transmogrification...

John Hearne
11-02-2011, 06:26 AM
In hindsight, I wished I had saved the letter and framed it but once I received a gun back from Sig for repair. In all caps (only lacking an exclamaition mark) were the words "EXTENSIVE HOLSTER WEAR." I can just imagine the shock and horror of the tech that had to cast their eyes upon the gun that had actually been shot and practiced with.

ToddG
11-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Along similar lines, I had gunsmiths at both Beretta and SIG absolutely baffled when they examined my pistols from time to time. "This thing will never fire with all that crud in it! Don't you ever clean it?" So we'd take the gun to the test range, fire a few mags, and I'd try to educate the experts about reality vs. myth when it comes to "clean" in a modern handgun.

Mark Housel
11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
My understanding is that there are plenty of customers that will attempt to claim that the gunsmith created that "wear" and try to extort a refinish. I can't imagine engaging in such behavior, but apparently it is common. This from every one of my instructors who are all professional gunsmiths.

That's the reason for being taught to create a "Discrepancy Report" when a gun is received to document anything that might come back to bite you in the a$$.

In hindsight, I wished I had saved the letter and framed it but once I received a gun back from Sig for repair. In all caps (only lacking an exclamaition mark) were the words "EXTENSIVE HOLSTER WEAR." I can just imagine the shock and horror of the tech that had to cast their eyes upon the gun that had actually been shot and practiced with.

Al T.
11-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Young cop buddy and his dad went to the range with me. The son had a classic stove pipe when shooting my M&P 9mm. He cleared the malf correctly and quickly (thumb placement issue). The brass left a smear across the top of the slide. His dad started berating him about the smear. :mad:

I cleared the M&P and threw it about 15 yards out into a convenient sand pile. The dad about wet his pants. It's a tool, not an artifact. :D (ran fine afterwards, lol)

BTW, the dad went with us later and brought a (Davis, Bryco, something) cheap .380 to shoot. He asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I told him, sure! Just hang it on the 25 yard target frame, I'll see how many times I can hit it with my G19. He was not amused. :p

Corey
11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I went to try out a new indoor range in my area when I was a little over half way through the 2,000 round challenge on my 1911. It is a 15 year old Colt Commander with "Extreme holster wear" to use Sig's term, scratches, dings, and general evidence of a hard life. I had been using lead bullets for most of the test. Since it was a new range and I hadn't been there before they wanted to see my gun before I could shoot, didn't make sense to me but it's their range so their rules.

The counter guy was shocked when he saw my pistol. I explained what I was doing and that the pistol looked like it did because of years of practicing, using it in classes and competition, and daily carry. Guy gets their gunsmith to come out and look at it and the gunsmith is horrified starts lecturing me about taking care of my gear. I gave him the same explanation I gave the counter guy and the gunsmith tells me I am being irresponsible and says, "I would never let anybody abuse a gun like that if I built it for them." I was quite annoyed at that point so I replied, "Why, are you afraid they might learn something?":p

That was my one and only visit to that range. Really people, it's just a pistol, not a freaking Faberge Egg.

SecondsCount
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Good one Corey. Knowing your background makes that story even more amusing. :cool:

ToddG
11-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Guy gets their gunsmith to come out and look at it and the gunsmith is horrified starts lecturing me about taking care of my gear.

If only you'd once been involved with a school that saw more hard use 1911s than just about any place on Earth outside of the military... oh, wait!

Corey
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
It even says so right on the gun. I think that is called a clue. The guy failed situational awareness 101 right there.

HCM
11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
http://grammar.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=grammar&cdn=education&tm=65&gps=307_332_1276_839&f=00&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.tnellen.com/cybereng/adler.html

What keeps me coming back to this forum is, as ToddG and Charles Montgomery Burns so eloquently put it, that it is by and for "The 1%” of the “shooting” community.

There are many parallels between the 1% in shooting and the 1% in other endeavors. Since shooting performance is primarily a mental process, let’s skip the usual athletic comparisons and look at something different, Mortimer J. Adler’s essay for the 1% of the reading public, “How to Mark a Book”.

Shooting for me is an active process of learning to perfect my skills, in much the same way that Adler describes actively reading a book as “a conversation between you and the author”. You can watch all the Magpul videos in the world but it's all for naught if you don't get out and shoot. PF members are what Adler would describe as “ the third type of book owner” who truely "own" their guns.

From “How to Mark a Book”:

[I]“You know you have to read "between the lines" to get the most out of anything. I want to persuade you to do something equally important in the course of your reading. I want to persuade you to write between the lines. Unless you do, you are not likely to do the most efficient kind of reading.

I contend, quite bluntly, that marking up a book is not an act of mutilation but of love. You shouldn't mark up a book which isn't yours.

Librarians (or your friends) who lend you books expect you to keep them clean, and you should. If you decide that I am right about the usefulness of marking books, you will have to buy them. Most of the world's great books are available today, in reprint editions.

There are two ways in which one can own a book. The first is the property right you establish by paying for it, just as you pay for clothes and furniture. But this act of purchase is only the prelude to possession. Full ownership comes only when you have made it a part of yourself, and the best way to make yourself a part of it is by writing in it. An illustration may make the point clear. You buy a beefsteak and transfer it from the butcher's icebox to your own. But you do not own the beefsteak in the most important sense until you consume it and get it into your bloodstream. I am arguing that books, too, must be absorbed in your blood stream to do you any good.

Confusion about what it means to "own" a book leads people to a false reverence for paper, binding, and type -- a respect for the physical thing -- the craft of the printer rather than the genius of the author. They forget that it is possible for a man to acquire the idea, to possess the beauty, which a great book contains, without staking his claim by pasting his bookplate inside the cover. Having a fine library doesn't prove that its owner has a mind enriched by books; it proves nothing more than that he, his father, or his wife, was rich enough to buy them.

There are three kinds of book owners. The first has all the standard sets and best sellers -- unread, untouched. (This deluded individual owns woodpulp and ink, not books.) The second has a great many books -- a few of them read through, most of them dipped into, but all of them as clean and shiny as the day they were bought. (This person would probably like to make books his own, but is restrained by a false respect for their physical appearance.) The third has a few books or many -- every one of them dog-eared and dilapidated, shaken and loosened by continual use, marked and scribbled in from front to back. (This man owns books.)

JAD
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
There are two ways in which one can own a book. The first is the property right you establish by paying for it, just as you pay for clothes and furniture. But this act of purchase is only the prelude to possession. Full ownership comes only when you have made it a part of yourself, and the best way to make yourself a part of it is by writing in it.

Eskimo.

Mark Housel
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
The third has a few books or many -- every one of them dog-eared and dilapidated, shaken and loosened by continual use, marked and scribbled in from front to back. (This man owns books.)

This is definitely me, at least with regard to Text Books. Gee, how can you even read a Text Book without a Highlighter in hand! :confused:

"Story Books", are another matter. While I don't write in them typically, I do read them (often repeatedly) so they are certainly not "Shelf Queens" there for show purposes.

PCraunP220
11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I was looking to have a P220 Compact refinished due to carry wear, old holster exposed front three inches of the gun and rivets on my pants and seat belt scratched it. After reading this forum and several other on this site I will be using the few hundred dollars I will be saving on refinishing to enroll in 2012 class. I carry two guns every day (LE) and over the course of my carrier I could spend a lot of money on refinishing if i really worried about what my guns looked like.

Thanks for the refinishing advice. Looking forward to learning and training with some of the other members of this forum.

"Its a tool not a jewel"