PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 9mm magazines

That Guy
06-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Mec-Gar makes at least 15, 17 and 18 round flush fit magazines, as well as extended 20 round magazines for the P226. I was wondering if there were any reliability issues or differences between these? Original magazines for the Sig are 15 rounders, so sounds kind of iffy to cram two or three extra rounds into the same space... On the other hand, Mec-Gar makes very reliable 15 round magazines for the Hi-Power (original capacity 13), so who knows, they might work?

PD Sgt.
06-01-2016, 05:39 AM
When I had my P226 (a stainless railed model that was like shooting laser beams BTW) I pretty much only used the MecGar 17 round magazines in it. I do not recall ever having any problems with the mags (or the pistol) for that matter.

Lon
06-01-2016, 06:00 AM
I've used them all. They all work great. Now I primarily use the 18 and 20 rounders as well as the 18 rd 229 mag. My duty mags are the 18rd 229 mag and 2-20 rd mags.

Marko Kloos
06-01-2016, 06:32 AM
I run the 18-round MecGars in my 226s with no issues. The floor plates are about a quarter inch thicker than the flat ones on the factory mags, but they have nicely rounded edges. That 18th round can be a bit of a bear to cram in at first, though.

LSP552
06-01-2016, 06:52 AM
No issues at all when using the 18 MecGars in my 226. For concealment, I tend to carry a factory with true flush base pad and the 18 for the reload.

Hauptmann
06-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Todd Green was not a supporter of using the MecGar higher capacity mags that deviated from the Sig Saue longer followers. Said he saw a number of them go tits-up when subjected to dirt/debris.

David S.
06-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Todd Green was not a supporter of using the MecGar higher capacity mags that deviated from the Sig Saue longer followers. Said he saw a number of them go tits-up when subjected to dirt/debris.

I'd love to see a source for this. I'm not calling you out, I just haven't read that.

On the contrary, TLG seemed to be encouraging folks to use MecGar mags in this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9319-SIG-magazines).

Hauptmann
06-01-2016, 08:22 AM
On the contrary, TLG seemed to be encouraging folks to use MecGar mags in this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9319-SIG-magazines).

"SIG standardized on MecGar mags years before Cohen came on the scene and among the shooters at the company while I was there (02-07) the MecGars were universally considered the more reliable and durable. I used them exclusively." -Todd Green

The context there is that Todd was saying that the old German Sig factory made mags were not as good as the ones that MecGar made for Sig Sauer in the late 1990s. MecGar made these factory mags specifically to the Sig Sauer specifications, and most of the mags that Sig Sauer uses today are made by MecGar. However, MecGar makes aftermarket mags that do not follow the Sig specs, and are not marked "Sig Sauer" or "Sig Arms". These aftermarket mags hold extra rounds, but pre Cohen Sig was not comfortable putting their name on these designs. The aftermarket MecGar mags are what Todd was telling people to stay away from for defensive/duty use.

Lon
06-01-2016, 08:40 AM
As much as I respect Todd's opinion, 10+ years of using the +rd MecGar mags in all sorts of conditions leads me to disagree. I have tens of thousands of rounds through these magazines and have never had an issue that I can recall. Several of my guys use the 20rd Sig mags and have for years without issues. And these guys are not your typical cops. They get out and shoot (most are SWAT guys who love to shoot). When we got our new guns a couple years ago I never even took the extra Sig branded MG mags out of the box for over a year. Went straight to my aftermarket mags.

M2CattleCo
06-01-2016, 11:46 AM
15 round Mec-Gars are my favorite, have been using those for years. The 18s have been good too, but I don't have very much time with those at all.

The new Sig marked Check-Mate 15 round mags seem to be very good mags with the exception of weak springs. I have limited experience with these too, but they have fed ball and 147gr HST just fine. The springs are noticeably weaker than the 15 round Mec-Gars. The Check-Mates have a slicker finish and a nicer stepped base plate.

I think a Check-Mate with a good ISMI or Wolff spring may be tops, but they cost too much.

Odin Bravo One
06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
I use nothing but Mec-Gar 18+2 in my 226s. Have been using this combo for about 14 years.

SLG
06-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Sean,

For a flush fitting concealment mag, which do you prefer?

Lon
06-02-2016, 11:04 AM
15 round Mec-Gars are my favorite, have been using those for years. The 18s have been good too, but I don't have very much time with those at all.

The new Sig marked Check-Mate 15 round mags seem to be very good mags with the exception of weak springs. I have limited experience with these too, but they have fed ball and 147gr HST just fine. The springs are noticeably weaker than the 15 round Mec-Gars. The Check-Mates have a slicker finish and a nicer stepped base plate.

I think a Check-Mate with a good ISMI or Wolff spring may be tops, but they cost too much.

Having to replace a spring in a brand new mag does not meet my definition of a good mag.

SLG,

Not Sean but when I was carrying a 226 off duty I just used the 18rd MG. They didn't stick down enough below the grip for it to be an issue for me.

SLG
06-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Having to replace a spring in a brand new mag does not meet my definition of a good mag.

SLG,

Not Sean but when I was carrying a 226 off duty I just used the 18rd MG. They didn't stick down enough below the grip for it to be an issue for me.

All of my 226 experience is with the older 15 rd, flat metal floorplate mags. It boggles my mind that they can fit so many extra rds in there now, with little or no increase in length. Same with the 228/229. My old 13 rd mags were perfect. I have a bunch of the newer 15 rd mags to try out, I just haven't done it yet.

Lon
06-02-2016, 11:32 AM
It's all about the followers. The original followers had way too much material on the bottom. If I think about it I'll post some pics of the different followers.

Jim Watson
06-02-2016, 11:53 AM
I have MecGar 18s replacing an assortment damaged in house fire. Most of the old ones cleaned up well enough for practice, but for home defense, the new MecGars are stoutly built and feed well.

Trukinjp13
06-02-2016, 11:54 AM
I use the 18 rounders in my p226. 100% reliable. But I have dropped a loaded mag and had some rounds pop out. Never happened with the 15 rounders. Could just be a fluke, but it happened the next time I intentionally dropped it. But as far as in the gun function, perfect.

Handy
06-02-2016, 01:24 PM
It seems to me that the real difference is going to be spring life. Springs wear because they are compressed (or stretched) past their elastic limit. A mag spring compressed enough to make room for 15 rounds is going to be pushed a bit less past yield then one making room for 18 rounds. If you only used them for IDPA, they'd wear the same.

Jeep
06-02-2016, 02:36 PM
All of my 226 experience is with the older 15 rd, flat metal floorplate mags. It boggles my mind that they can fit so many extra rds in there now, with little or no increase in length. Same with the 228/229. My old 13 rd mags were perfect. I have a bunch of the newer 15 rd mags to try out, I just haven't done it yet.

I've found that the 15 round 228 magazines work with no problems. I have had some problem with the 15 round 226 magazines with very cheap steel-cased ammo (the rounds just didn't like to feed), but I've never had a problem with brass-cased ammo.

Lon
06-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Alright, here ya go:

Mag on left is MG made, Sig marked 13rd magazine. Mag on right is MG 15rd magazine. Magazine body is the same shape and size for both. The Sig marked mag has a bigger follower and a 14 coil spring. MG mag has a smaller follower and 13 coil spring.

Lon
06-02-2016, 02:40 PM
No idea why those are upside down.

Odin Bravo One
06-02-2016, 03:03 PM
SLG, I use the Sig factory Mec-Gar with the flat metal baseplate for concealed carry. And a P239 in my back pocket.

SLG
06-02-2016, 04:10 PM
SLG, I use the Sig factory Mec-Gar with the flat metal baseplate for concealed carry. And a P239 in my back pocket.

Sorry to be dense, is that the standard 15 rd version?

Lon,

Thanks! I would think that the taller followers could be more reliable, but I certainly don't know. As long as it is reliable enough, that's all that matters. The weaker spring with the more weight gives me some pause though again, that is my gut, not based on anything real.

Odin Bravo One
06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Roger, standard 15 round mag in the gun, one 18+2 reload, and the 239.

SLG
06-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Roger, standard 15 round mag in the gun, one 18+2 reload, and the 239.

Thanks! I hate that I'm a bit out of date on Sig stuff...:-(

MGW
06-02-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm new to Sig stuff so appreciate that you asked the question. I had no idea there were so many different capacity 226 magazines.

Dcowboyscr
06-06-2016, 01:43 AM
I'd love to see a source for this. I'm not calling you out, I just haven't read that.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?26086-Mec-Gar-18rd-P226-9mm-mags-reliable-enough-for-carry-use&

Hauptmann
06-06-2016, 07:58 AM
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?26086-Mec-Gar-18rd-P226-9mm-mags-reliable-enough-for-carry-use&

There is one, thanks. Another test which ToddG said was used to determine reliability was a drop test on fully loaded, half loaded, and loaded with 5rds magazine. Mags get can dropped in the stress of a fight either accidentally, or during a tactical mag exchange in which the partially loaded mag is retained. I think he went into this in LF or M4carbine. The Sig factory MecGar magazines were better able to handle this test (versus the MecGar aftermarkets)without having cartridges pop out of mag, or having them nose-dive in the mag making the mag unusable without significant correction.