PDA

View Full Version : NY Times suggests new look at knife laws

Glenn E. Meyer
05-31-2016, 07:42 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/opinion/new-yorks-outdated-knife-law.html?ref=opinion

Interesting, San Antonio had a ordinance that banned all the 'tactical' knives even though the local stores were full of them. Recent state legislation undid that.

ssb
05-31-2016, 08:07 PM
In 2010, the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance Jr., charged 14 retailers, including Home Depot, with selling illegal switchblade and gravity knives, and agreed not to prosecute them if they stopped selling the knives, handed over profits from past knife sales and financed a $900,000 public-education campaign. Six years later, less than $100,000 of that money has been spent, and the knives are as available as ever. Mr. Vance’s office even granted an exception to Paragon Sports, a high-end sporting goods store that sells custom knives, because expensive knives supposedly aren’t being used in crimes.

You've got to be shitting me...

SLG
05-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Holy cow, they wrote something with common sense in it!

Vance should be charged with something for the Home depot nonsense. Past sales handed over to the DA? Wow.

SeriousStudent
05-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Extortion is a crime, right?

SLG
05-31-2016, 09:48 PM
Extortion is a crime, right?

Unless it's a plea bargain. What a joke. Then it's ok to extort a business.

LSP552
06-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Unless it's a plea bargain. What a joke. Then it's ok to extort a business.

Or diversion so DWI won't go on your record...

RoyGBiv
06-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Some day, in my lifetime probably, the NYT will suggest registration, neutering or fist removal for anyone over 6' or 180lbs.
Or, perhaps they'll go full Trans-Nazi and advocate for eliminating the male heterosexual population entirely.

Don't be fooled by their arguably pro-sanity position here.

SLG
06-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Some day, in my lifetime probably, the NYT will suggest registration, neutering or fist removal for anyone over 6' or 180lbs.
Or, perhaps they'll go full Trans-Nazi and advocate for eliminating the male heterosexual population entirely.

Don't be fooled by their arguably pro-sanity position here.

No one needs to be over 6'. I make due just fine 6" shorter than that, why shouldn't everyone else?

olstyn
06-01-2016, 08:06 PM
No one needs to be over 6'. I make due just fine 6" shorter than that, why shouldn't everyone else?

Must...resist...urge to post link to Randy Newman song... :cool: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA)

Tabasco
06-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Anyone know of "assisted opening" knives are illegal in NYC"

ssb
06-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Anyone know of "assisted opening" knives are illegal in NYC"

Given that it's apparently common practice for NYPD officers to flick common pocket knives until they open up without using the thumbstud and arrest the owner for possession of a "gravity knife," but without consulting the relevant statutes, I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

Oddly enough, per one of the articles I read, it's apparently legal for me to carry a Clinch Pick in NYC so long as I don't have criminal intent, and if my stated reason is self-defense, that doesn't count as criminal intent per some court decision.

Dagga Boy
06-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Thanks to your kind of thinking, I got screwed. 6' 5" body......SLG length legs. This is what happens when we have stupid restrictions on things......giant Dwarf's.

Ed L
06-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Oddly enough, per one of the articles I read, it's apparently legal for me to carry a Clinch Pick in NYC so long as I don't have criminal intent, and if my stated reason is self-defense, that doesn't count as criminal intent per some court decision.

I don't think you will be allowed to legally carry a clinchpick in NYC. They have actually arrested people who are carrying multitools that have assisted opening blades as well as people with buck knives.

BigT
06-03-2016, 03:08 AM

That makes you easily concealable with no sporting purpose....

LittleLebowski
06-03-2016, 06:11 AM
Holy cow, they wrote something with common sense in it!

Vance should be charged with something for the Home depot nonsense. Past sales handed over to the DA? Wow.

Literally extortion. It was truly astonishing to read. Tammany Hall is alive and well in NYC.

SLG
06-03-2016, 08:07 AM
That makes you easily concealable with no sporting purpose....

I like to think that I can be pretty sporty at times...:-)

I think I just found a sig line, if you don't mind.

BigT
06-03-2016, 08:33 AM
I like to think that I can be pretty sporty at times...:-)

I think I just found a sig line, if you don't mind.

My gift to you:)

SLG
06-03-2016, 08:40 AM
My gift to you:)

Thank you!

psalms144.1
06-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Literally extortion. It was truly astonishing to read. Tammany Hall is alive and well in NYC.And you want to deny me sanctuary in WY on my retirement and escape from this hell hole! Meangirl...

HCM
06-03-2016, 03:53 PM
And you want to deny me sanctuary in WY on my retirement and escape from this hell hole! Meangirl...

Don't look back, lest you be turned into a pillar of salt.