PDA

View Full Version : 650xl tool head moving OAL changing

Luke
05-30-2016, 04:03 PM
My tool head (factory Dillon cast tool head) is moving about 15 thousands (guessing, magnetic base dial indicator at work) and my OAL shift is Huge. Will the aftermarket ones from places like uniquetech fix this issue!? I've got to get it straightened out ASAP.

Hauptmann
05-30-2016, 07:54 PM
All Dillons with removable tool heads do that. I've never had a problem with tolerances really changing performance(rifle or handgun), but some brass causes more tool head lift than others. +P brass tends to cause more lift as the sizing die has to work harder, and the powder funnel has a harder time flaring the case. I've found that lubing all of your brass before sizing tends to keep tolerances a little tighter. Either way, my reloads work within that OAL window just fine.

CCT125US
05-30-2016, 08:35 PM
How is it moving? Keep in mind that the bullet itself may have some variations. Depending on how the seat die contacts the ogive, it may be seating to the proper depth, but the nose is dinged or dented giving a variation. Mold line, coating thickness, moly / lube build up, even mixed brass with different rebound rates can affect seat depth. More info is needed please.

ETA: Define huge. Does the toolhead movement directly transfer to OAL changes? 1:1

EricP
05-30-2016, 08:48 PM
0.015" seems like a lot. What kind of OAL variation are you seeing?

You could limit the tool head movement by shimming with feeler stock or what have you.

Luke
05-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Tool head moves vertical and horizontal
9mm mixed brass once fired
Bluebullet 125's
Looks to be hitting seater insert good
Tightness of shell plate doesn't matter

I dimpled (think of staking something) the edges of the tool head and it was VERY snug and all rounds came out within ~.002 of each other but it loosened back up quickly

Thinking about drilling it out and tapping the tool head and bolting it in. Everyone keeps telling me the slop in the tool head is normal and theirs has it and loads to the millionth of an inch every bullet so idk what to think?

My dads feeler guaged (press set up at dads as I have no room) don't go that small and my magnetic base dial indicator is at work so just guessing on movement. Tonight I got 1.115 with the tool head still tight when it was dimpled and after it smooshed down the small dimples it was back to 1.120-1.140 :(

CCT125US
05-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Pics of what you are dimpling. Upward stroke should top out the "slop" and not vary.

Check for powder beneath the shell plate.

TAZ
05-31-2016, 07:39 AM
Theoretically the upward shift of the tool head should be consistent from stroke to stroke. Unless you have some serious differences in brass types that load the tool differently during the stroke. When you say differences in OAL do you mean stroke to stroke or from initial set up? If it's initial set up, are you setting up OAL with something in each station or just the seater die. Try to set it up in the manner that the live rounds will be popping out so the tool head is loaded the same. If you're getting stroke to stroke differences make sure the the base is clean and the shell plate securely fastened. Same for the dies. If everything is secure as it should be go buy a baggie of new U fired and hopefully consistent brass from any retailer and try again. If you get consistent results with consistent brass problem identified. You can also call Dillon and talk to one of their guys. They really do mean no BS on the warranty.

Luke
05-31-2016, 08:04 AM
All stations full when making rounds to be measured. Tried with the shell plate too loose, too tight, and what I thought was "just right". I might give Dillon a call.

Sal Picante
05-31-2016, 10:21 AM
1.120-1.140

That's a pretty big shift... I def. do not see that shift on my 550 with a very piggly-wiggly toolhead.

I suspect that something else is wrong? Check your dies? They're bolted alright? The platform is securely bolted to the ram?

This is not normal...

On second thought: Call Dillon - it's a 650. They will help.

Luke
05-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Gonna call them here in just s few. Will report back!

Edwin
05-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Clamp the tool head down for consistency. http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1230

Luke
05-31-2016, 02:14 PM
I was thinking about ordering that

Luke
05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
I also posted on Enos the same time I posted here just to maximize the response as this needs to be fixed ASAP!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234451&page=1

I haven't had a chance to call Dillon yet either :(

Luke
05-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Just called Dillon. They said I'm short stroking the machine and refused to believe there was anything wrong.

SLG
05-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Just called Dillon. They said I'm short stroking the machine and refused to believe there was anything wrong.

Maybe you're limp wristing it?

This is not the first time I've heard of less than stellar customer service from Dillon, a company that everyone says has great customer service. Oh well.

Luke
05-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Well hopefully it is something I've done wrong and not faulty equipment. I'm gonna reset the tool head and start from scratch

Luke
05-31-2016, 09:03 PM
Worked late and was rushed for time, but I loosened the seat and crimp dies, ran the shell plate up with brass/bullets in every station and snugged the locking rings up. This took a few tries to get the right OAL and crimp I wanted but once I got it I loaded 12 rounds and the OAL deviation was .009 or less. I'll run some more rounds threw it tomorrow but hoping this will fix it for good!

If this fixes it it appears to be user error. I set the dies by locking them down, running a few rounds, checking, adjusting dies and locking them down and then repeat. I wasn't putting a loaded shell plate into the tool head and THEN snugging down the dies.

Sometimes stupid hurts, sometimes it just makes crappy ammo.