PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Bantam or Ahrends boot grip for J frame?

Leroy Suggs
05-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Replacing factory grips on 638 with wood boots.
I have narrowed it down to these two.

I do not trust Eagle's fit due to prior experience. Cant find available Spegel except at scalper prices.

Comments? Pros and cons of each? Suggestions?

The 638 will be pocket carried weak hand side.

serialsolver
05-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Hogue' s will be sticky or grabby. Your hand won't slide across them in your pocket when you try to grip the revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherman A. House DDS
05-29-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm assuming you mean the Hogue Bantam WOOD grips? I have them, and I like them.

They feel and are very similar in appearance to the Spegel boots, with the exception that the Hogue has palm swells. They feel great in my hand. I keep them on a 640 Pro, that I use for ankle or AIWB carry, since the slightly larger grip precludes them from being used on a pocket carry j frame (M38 or 442) since it's hard for me to get my hand in my pocket, and around the grip, and get it all out of my pocket expediently. If you have smaller hands or bigger pockets, that might not be an issue for you.

I have Ahrends, too, and while they are also great (and work fine for pocket carry) I wish that they were checkered, so that they had a little more purchase. But, aside from that, they're great. They also clear every speedloader I have. The Hogues rub a bit on speedloaders. Something to consider, if you use speedloaders habitually (I use Tuff Strips for my J's).

Hope that helps.

Leroy Suggs
05-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Thank you Dr. House.
That answer is what I was looking for.

I have fat hands. Not big but short and fat.

Pocket carry is the only carry method I will use with this revolver. Looks like the Ahrends will be better for me.

Tamara
05-29-2016, 11:28 AM
I've found the Ahrends' slim profile and taper toward the backstrap to sort of magnify recoil a bit. I think the last J I had Ahrends on was this one...

My carry J-frames have had the long-discontinued LG-205s, which are like hard plastic Hogue Bantams but with a laser.

Dagga Boy
05-29-2016, 12:12 PM
You may want to check Esmerelda's grips. I have some wonderful Cocobolo boots from her. Sort of Spegel without the price or wait.

Leroy Suggs
05-29-2016, 12:28 PM
You may want to check Esmerelda's grips. I have some wonderful Cocobolo boots from her. Sort of Spegel without the price or wait.

Thanks I just did. She has only one pair and they are in ivory wood. I do not like white grips.

I just ordered the Hogue in rosewood from Midway on clearance for $70.

Thanks for the replies. After Tam's post i agree about the Ahrends enhancing recoil and i tried some guns with fatter grips like the Hogue and had no problem gripping or drawing from the pocket.

Dagga Boy
05-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Thanks I just did. She has only one pair and they are in ivory wood. I do not like white grips.

I just ordered the Hogue in rosewood from Midway on clearance for $70.

Thanks for the replies. After Tam's post i agree about the Ahrends enhancing recoil and i tried some guns with fatter grips like the Hogue and had no problem gripping or drawing from the pocket.

Wow, that is actually odd. She usually has 3 pages of various finished J frame grips up.

1986s4
06-05-2016, 08:16 AM
I have Hogue Bantams on a Smith K frame that I've carried. I like them a lot, they work well with my largish hands and I never noticed the rubber grabbing my shirts [IWB].

Det1397
06-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Small, wood and checkered... https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/smith-wesson/s-w-j-frame/j-frame-tactical-diamonds

Dagga Boy
06-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Small, wood and checkered... https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/smith-wesson/s-w-j-frame/j-frame-tactical-diamonds

Those are not wood. I like them, but they are heavy and don't help absorb recoil at all if that is part of the goal.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Those are not wood. I like them, but they are heavy and don't help absorb recoil at all if that is part of the goal.

Not like Darryl needs me to second his thought, but the one pair of VZ's I have a sharp. Like, uncomfortably sharp. Depending on the j frame I mount them on, that sharp edge draws blood in one round, and for me, that's a no-brainier.

RevolverRob
06-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Do the Hogue wood grips clear for speed-loaders? I've never had much luck with the rubber ones not hanging up on small guns.

I like the LG-105s and VZs.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Mine do clear HKS, and SF loaders.

Leroy Suggs
08-15-2016, 04:45 PM
I am liking the wood Bantams fine on the 442 for pocket carry and shooting.
The CT 105 are working well on my 638.
Both work well for pocket carry and shooting.
I really like the laser.9885

Imaposer2
08-16-2016, 07:47 AM
I am liking the wood Bantams fine on the 442 for pocket carry and shooting.
The CT 105 are working well on my 638.
Both work well for pocket carry and shooting.
I really like the laser.9885

Damn! I could have taken an almost identical pic... I have the LG-105 on my 638 and I just put a set of Cocobolo Bantams on my model 49. I like both grips although I don't carry the 49.

UNK
08-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Now there are no J frame grips at all on her website.

Wow, that is actually odd. She usually has 3 pages of various finished J frame grips up.

Willard
08-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Now there are no J frame grips at all on her website.

Since other items seem comparatively well stocked, I am wondering if this has anything to do with popularity and being sold out....dunno. Very nice grips & would not mind some myself.