PDA

View Full Version : CZ-75 shooters, what parts do you recommend having on hand or replacing?

scw2
05-29-2016, 12:39 AM
Background: It looks like I shot out the firing pin retaining pin on my CZ-75 SP-01. I've also broken a TRS already once and already had to replace that. Under 5K live fire rounds through the gun, but I've put a decent amount of dry fire through my gun the past ~1 year or so.

Given this is the 2nd breakage in ~1 year of ownership, what parts do you recommend in terms of parts on hand? What about getting replacement parts from a shop like CGW or CZ Custom for improving reliability of the gun such as the changed firing pin?

I do plan to continue to use this gun as a carry gun, as well as train and compete with it, so I am unwilling to go lighter trigger pull than a good polish would do, or compromise on safety or reliability. Thanks for the input.

BN
05-29-2016, 10:00 AM
https://cajungunworks.com/product/61100-tempered-spring-steel-firing-pin-retaining-pin/
This for sure. Maybe the longer firing pin from CGW and a slightly reduced power hammer spring. I think it is CGW that has the floating trigger spring pin that makes it easier to change the trigger spring. I like CGW parts.
Edit to add: an O ring behind the firing pin will block the blow to the fp spring. Put it in to dry fire and take it out when done.

Smitty79
05-29-2016, 10:29 AM
For anyone who shoots high volume with a CZ, the conventional wisdom is that they need to replace trigger return spring and slide stop on a regular basis. The stock TRS has terrible reliability. CGW is better. There is anecdotal evidence that putting a little oil on the spring, when you do a field strip clean, helps with reliability. I do this. I haven't had enough failures to know if this helps.

I shoot my Shadow, a competition SP-01, about 12k rounds a year. I also own a Tactical Sport, a CZ85B and a P-07.
When I bought the P-07, I immediately installed a Cajun Gun Works reduced power trigger return spring for reliability.
On my Shadow, I dry fire about 6 dry pulls per round fired. I change the TRS every 6k rounds.
I change the extended firing pin, the slides stop and the firing pin spring annually. I'm thinking that I may need to change the main spring annually. I've been having problems with anything but Federal primers lately. At least Winchester primers used to be OK with my 11.5# main spring. Now they aren't. I just put the new spring in. We'll see if that's the problem.

HopetonBrown
05-30-2016, 02:24 AM
My friend traveled from California to the 2015 Utah State USPSA Handgun Championship. His Accu-Shadow would randomly go back into double action during the match. His solution was to buy a backup Accu-Shadow.

Luke
05-30-2016, 06:26 AM
Id say PM les, pretty sure he has wore a couple out.

GJM
05-30-2016, 09:32 AM
My friend traveled from California to the 2015 Utah State USPSA Handgun Championship. His Accu-Shadow would randomly go back into double action during the match. His solution was to buy a backup Accu-Shadow.

Id say PM les, pretty sure he has wore a couple out.

Les has worn out a few of them. Based on experience, the single most important spare part is a whole extra CZ.

Smitty79
05-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Les has worn out a few of them. Based on experience, the single most important spare part is a whole extra CZ.

I've been taking a spare CZ to matches or classes for 18 months. I've never used it.

Luke
05-30-2016, 11:09 AM
I've been taking a spare CZ to matches or classes for 18 months. I've never used it.

OP dry fires like 8 times a day and shoots a decent amount.

GJM
05-30-2016, 11:15 AM
I have five Shadows. I have never broken a TRS or slide stop. I have had a Dawson FO front sight break. I had two where the rear sight came loose. Also, had two that started following. Apparently there was a bad batch of hammers from CZ Custom with improperly cut hammer hooks that would start to follow with use.

Smitty79
05-30-2016, 08:21 PM
I forgot the firing pin retaining spring. Shadows don't have them. Get the CGW spring steel one. To help with firing pin related problems, put an oring on the firing pin where the hammer hits.

scw2
05-30-2016, 09:03 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback and knowledge. I was planning to grab a TRS and the solid retaining pin, but looks like a few other parts might be worth picking up. Will be placing an order through CGW and hopefully get back out to the range soon!

Sal Picante
05-31-2016, 10:32 AM
CGW is great company to do business with: parts are good to go!
Buy the floating Trigger pin! Makes changing the TRS much easier!

I really like the CZ - I shot so well with them. Of course I kept a few of them (my compact, my Accu, a std shadow) but they just required more care than, say a Glock.

But, with ghost-in-the-machine issues and going through TRS at a rate of at least 1 a month (I've replaced TRS twice in a week before!), I just threw the towel in.
I wanted to spend my limited time shooting - the arrival of my daughter reprioritized some things: Shooting=good, dicking with parts=bad.

I'm going to jinx myself now, but I've dry fired the crap out of my Beretta and I still haven't broken a TRS... (I did, however wear out a mainspring... LOL!)

Smitty79
05-31-2016, 10:18 PM
When you order from CGW, tell them you want them to go back to the goofy gator logo.