PDA

View Full Version : How Many Rounds Do You Shoot Per Year?

cheshire_cat
05-28-2016, 06:27 PM
How many rounds are you planning on shooting in 2016 and what is your current classification in either USPSA or IDPA or both? Also, how many rounds have you historically shot per year? I am primarily interested in pistol, but you can split it up between pistol and rifle. You can put how much you dry fire, but I am primarily interested in the correlation between live fire round count per year and skill level. I realize that sheer round count without training the right way is not nearly as effective as training the right way with the same amount of rounds, so no need to point that out.

I am currently classified as high D class in USPSA, but that is because due to my wife and I's work schedule I do not get the chance to shoot many matches. I would say my skill at the moment is most likely mid C class. I have shot about 2,000 to 3,000 rounds the last couple years. I finally purchased a reloading press last year and I am ramping up my round count this year. It looks like i'll probably shoot somewhere between 6,000 to 8,000 rounds this year out of my G34.

Luke
05-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Started shooting uspsa ~ 8 months ago, so far have shot ~7 thousand rounds this year. Dry fire daily. Atleast 30 minutes (on an a normal day, I do have the occasional 5 minute session). Just got my membership to uspsa and if if done my math right next months results will be my first classification and I should be A class. I feel like once I figured out HOW to actually train with dry fire my skills started to increase quickly. I took a stoeger class 2 months ago and I feel like my progress has been going at a insane pace (IMHO lol). I'm still not that good but I'm getting better, which I feel like is due to things clicking it dry fire.

I'd say I do more matches than live fire practice. I don't have that many places to practice. I try and shoot 4-6 matches a month. I think I'd be better off with good live fire rather than more matches, but I think matches is better than no live fire.

For me the two biggest things that have helped are good dry fire and Ben stoeger.

I hope to shoot 20K + rounds this year and do way more than that dry fire.

Clobbersaurus
05-28-2016, 07:03 PM
6300 rounds last year.

2750 so far this year.

I wish it were much, much more. With family and work commitments I can only hit the range twice a month to practice (once if there is a match). The game for me is: how well can I do with my limited available range time?

So my training method is lots of dry practice and then validation of that dry practice during my range time. Seems to be working, but progress is slow.

Wheeler
05-28-2016, 07:18 PM
So far this year:

4000 .22LR
15 .22 WRF
500 .38 Special
200 12 gauge
25 5.56

I'm working on NSSF Rimfire and SCSA right now so that's why the volume of .22.

Josh Runkle
05-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Not much this year due to a newly diagnosed heart condition in January.

2016 so far:

5.56: 3,250
9mm: 8,450 (2k through carbine)
.22lr: 3,000-ish (I don't log .22)
.22 wmr: 800
.45: 200
.40: 50

I have never competed, and am unranked.

Gray222
05-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Depends....

In 2014 I shot about 10k 9mm and 5k 223.

In 2012 I hot about 20k 223 and 3k 9mm

I've slowed down a bit...

I'm around 5k 9mm now and around 1.5k 223.

Note - I count PD ammo ....

JCS
05-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Started shooting uspsa ~ 8 months ago, so far have shot ~7 thousand rounds this year. Dry fire daily. Atleast 30 minutes (on an a normal day, I do have the occasional 5 minute session). Just got my membership to uspsa and if if done my math right next months results will be my first classification and I should be A class. I feel like once I figured out HOW to actually train with dry fire my skills started to increase quickly. I took a stoeger class 2 months ago and I feel like my progress has been going at a insane pace (IMHO lol). I'm still not that good but I'm getting better, which I feel like is due to things clicking it dry fire.

I'd say I do more matches than live fire practice. I don't have that many places to practice. I try and shoot 4-6 matches a month. I think I'd be better off with good live fire rather than more matches, but I think matches is better than no live fire.

For me the two biggest things that have helped are good dry fire and Ben stoeger.

I hope to shoot 20K + rounds this year and do way more than that dry fire.

Are you doing the Stoeger dry fire plan. Or what are you doing If you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olstyn
05-28-2016, 10:10 PM
I shot about 2.5K rounds of 9mm last year, much more of it in matches than practice. I expect this year will be similar in that regard.

I'm currently classified on the low end of C class (just squeaked into C at 42% at the end of last summer). Results so far this year will put me in the middle of C if I keep performing at this level. If I can buckle down and get some good practice in, both dry and live, I think B class is an achievable goal in the near to medium term. Dry fire for me tends to go in fits and starts; not doing it consistently is almost inarguably the thing that keeps me from advancing in skill/classification at a faster rate. Were I to make it a daily ritual and actually stick with it, I know I could improve more quickly.

Luke
05-28-2016, 10:18 PM
I have his dry fire book and his newer live fire book (which also has a little dry fire too I think). Don't really use the dry fire book. I'm really ADD so it's hard to follow someone else's plan. I'm making progress so I'm just gonna continue to wing it, when I hit a plateau I'm sure I will be using it.

I have 2 sets of Ben stoegers dry fire target kits (the ones with a lot of crap) and then another set of scaled dry fire targets from insta-target that is a lot of targets. I have different arrays set up in my house ( and I'm fixing to change them around). In the living room I have a couple poppers and a few different size scaled targets set up with most on one wall and some on a wall 90* to my right. I will work on small movement (most simulating starting a stage and having to take a few steps before engaging targets), target transistions (mixing it up between different targets), draws and reloads. I only do one reload per draw because I don't like dropping magazines on hardwood floors). Lots of draw, shoot that aray, reload and shoot the other, sometimes using a big wide transistion and other times taking a side step to get aligned with the other array while I reload.
I then have some targets and one popper above the head of my bed. I stand at the foot of the bed and draw and shoot, sometimes using movement around the foot of the bed. This is where I go if I want to do a lot of reloads as the magazines drop onto the bed.
I also have two targets set up in my daughters play room that I use for wide transistions (one on one wall the other an the wall 90* away) I do more wide transistion work and small footwork with reloads here. I also have no shoots and hard cover mixed in with the targets everywhere but the play room, there it's all about speed.

Outdoor dry fire I have wood to use for boundaries, I don't stake it down and I move it often to keep from getting into a pattern. I staple targets to trees (beats dragging target stands..) and work on shooting and moving here. Lots of different ways you can run it. I also try and make the shots hard here as they are full size targets. Plenty of things you can do outside.

A normal day would be I come home from work, change into clothes I would shoot a match in, and go out back and work outdoor stuff for 15-30 minutes not taking any breaks. I then go inside and do a little dry fire on my living room setup. After dinner I usually spend another 10-30 minutes working various stuff indoors.

I don't practice anything that I won't see in a match. I may work on specific stuff but all of the stuff directly correlates to uspsa (or atleast I think it does lol). If I struggle with something at a match I try and work on that.

okie john
05-29-2016, 12:26 AM
So far this year:
~5k each 9x19
300 each 30/06
500 each 22 LR
<50 each 45 ACP
<50 each 12 gauge
<50 each 38 Special

~6k each 9x19
100 each 30/06
500 each 22 LR
<50 each 45 ACP
<50 each 38 Special

~8k each 9x19
1,000 each 22 LR

~10k each 9x19
1,000 each 22 LR
~300 7.62 NATO

~10k each 9x19
~1,000 5.56 Nato
~300 7.62 NATO
~150 300 BLK
1,000 each 22 LR

Also trace amounts of 44 Magnum each year.

Okie John

Kennydale
05-29-2016, 12:42 AM
Not enough !

That Guy
05-29-2016, 07:15 AM
Last year I shot about 5000 rounds, total - all I could afford and have time for. 4000 handgun, 500 shotgun, 500 rifle. (My carbine needs a new barrel, which in part explains the low rifle round count.) This year will probably be similar, although I am getting a few more opportunities to train with rifles.

My IDPA ratings are MM and SS.

johnson
06-04-2016, 10:24 PM
So far this year:

<200 9 mm
<100 .223/5.56
<50 .22 LR

cheshire_cat
06-04-2016, 10:42 PM
So far this year:

<200 9 mm
<100 .223/5.56
<50 .22 LR
Sounds like you need more shooting!

Mack
06-07-2016, 04:30 PM
On track to shoot 12K 9mm this year, although I just got back into reloading, so hopefully I'll shoot more than that. Also planning to shoot in competition more seriously than I have in the past. I try and dry practice 5 times a week, and I recently started using airsoft as a dry-practice aid, I've probably shot 8k bbs in the past month, I have found it to be far more useful than dry-fire only.

scw2
06-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I recently started using airsoft as a dry-practice aid, I've probably shot 8k bbs in the past month, I have found it to be far more useful than dry-fire only.

Hi Mack, could you describe the pros/cons of airsoft for dry fire versus an empty gun? The part where you said it to be more useful than dry-fire only caught my eye, but I know basically nothing about airsoft.

Mack
06-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Absolutely, I'm no airsoft maestro either beyond using one as a dry practice supplement. I pretty much shoot Glocks exclusively but the airsoft Glocks need to be modified to fit into a holster and their trigger pull is not that similar to a real one so I don't even use the one I have. I got one of the Hi-Capas which is apparently the airsoft jargon for 2011 clone, but they are kind of like the 'Glock' of airsoft guns as many companies make them and there are parts available to fix your gun if it breaks, I bought one of the WE brand ones since it was like $90, it works fine and if it breaks I'll just throw it in the garbage and buy another. I am able to use the same grip and draw index with the 2011 clone as a Glock so it doens't mess anything up in that regard for me at least. I also bought a compressed air hook-up so I can run the gun off of a compressor which is 000 times better that using propane/CO2 in my experience.

The two biggest things for me with using airsoft for 'dry practice' is that you have shot accountability and since the slide reciprocates you can track the sights. For me it is like dry practice with results since you can't get sloppy with it since you have a projectile. While muzzle rise is very minimal, it is no different than with a real gun in regards to the fact you will still miss if you lose focus or get lazy with your sight picture. It has also been great for me practicing SHO/WHO, I'd love to practice more live fire but can't afford to as much as I'd really need to to be as proficient as I'd like to be, but I can go shoot 1000 bbs WHO one night and it costs pretty much nothing.

The biggest con to me would be that the trigger pulls are not consistent with real pistols. Accuracy is also not great past 10 yards, what I do is shoot at reduced size targets from about 3-5 yards. I actually got some mini steel USPSA metric targets, poppers, and a texas star.

I do think it has helped me with seeing the sights better when actually shooting; I think it has improved my visual patience the most. One of the things that can be both a pro and a con is that you can shoot it so much faster than a real pistol. For example at 4 yards shooting the 1/3 scale USPSA metric target I can shoot a bill drill with .12 second splits and get all As, which if shot that fast with my G34 it would be a total hose-fest. But since you can get good hits with the airsoft gun so quickly I end up seeing your sights move much faster than I would with real ammo I end up seeing more everytime I go to the range.

I can take some pictures of my airsoft set up if you would like, I would never abandon dry practice and use airsoft exclusively, but I have found it to be a cost effective way to get more practice in.

gtmtnbiker98
06-07-2016, 07:49 PM
I shoot ~2500 rounds of 9mm per month. In 2015 I shot just over 32,000 rounds. I shoot 3-4 days a week, I don't dry fire much. I shoot around 2,000 5.56 per year.

As for the games, I only play IDPA. Classified MA in all pistol divisions, but that isn't hard in IDPA.

scw2
06-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I can take some pictures of my airsoft set up if you would like, I would never abandon dry practice and use airsoft exclusively, but I have found it to be a cost effective way to get more practice in.

Thanks for the detailed post. Pictures would be great if it's not much effort. I especially like the pros for accountability and visual tracking, as long as one doesn't cheat on the grip it would probably be a net positive. Plus it would helps keep things fresh in non-live fire.

JAD
06-08-2016, 02:05 PM
2012: 4088
2013: 3711
2014: 6411
2015: 2848
2016: 3633 (annualizing near 9K)

Steaz
06-08-2016, 11:08 PM
I'm trying to take everything up a notch.

In 2015 I shot maybe 1k rounds of everything combined over like 4 total range trips, a real low point.

The last 7 months, 23 range trips to shoot pistol. I'm on pace to shoot 8-10k pistol rounds this year.

Stuffbreaker
06-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Been averaging 15k rounds a year for about five years now. Made Ex in IDPA SSP and B in USPSA Limited in my first year competing, but stagnated at this level for over a year. Added roughly 50k cycles of dry fire per year, and made SSP MA and LTD A the next year. FAST dropped from low 5s to a best of 4.50 during this period of intense dry fire.

Edwin
06-23-2016, 03:02 PM
At least 8k but lately I'm getting closer to 10k.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1slow
06-23-2016, 04:56 PM
With my primary carry pistol, 10k/year average for 26 years, some years 15k some a little less than 10k. I shoot other pistols and rifles also.

Paul D
06-23-2016, 10:44 PM
6K/year from my carry pistol. 1.5K/year from my carbine. Not enough time, not enough chances to escape from work. Now I'm depressed.

JohnK
06-28-2016, 10:02 PM
3,300 9x19mm so far in my dedicated P30 (100 in my P30L acquired last week). About 600 .45 ACP. 100ish .223 (just haven't been doing rifle as much this year).

I usually get out every other week.