PDA

View Full Version : P30 and EDC

Gordon
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm in the process of potentially replacing my G19 (carried for 13 years) with a P30. I'd like to know if the grip texture is really as much of an issue as some have made it wrt EDC against bare skin. I live in South Africa, so most of the time it's too hot to wear multiple layers of clothing. I really like how the P30 shoots and handles but wearing it for 10-12hrs a day is the reality I will be facing.

I apologise if Todd has already covered this in his endurance test but I'd also like to know if anyone else has experience with this matter.

ToddG
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I always wear an undershirt or t-shirt between the gun and my body, so no info/opinion from me.

turbolag23
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I havent been using my P30 as an EDC so I cant speak for prolonged carry times. The grip texture is not as abrasive as the RTF finish on Glocks but slightly more than a standard one.

jslaker
03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I can't speak for the P30 specifically, but FWIW, my USPc has extremely aggressive, almost sandpaper-like grip texture. I definitely wouldn't consider it comfortable against bare skin.

FWIW, I generally make a point of wearing my boxers high enough to get between me and the gun on the times when I'm stuck wearing a single layer of clothing, which seems to work well enough for me. YMMV.

gtmtnbiker98
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I've carried the P30 for two-years and can attest, an undershirt will be required. The grip texture is rough and there's really no getting used to it. If you want to carry IWB, an undershirt is a must.

F-Trooper05
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I've carried the P30 for two-years and can attest, an undershirt will be required. The grip texture is rough and there's really no getting used to it. If you want to carry IWB, an undershirt is a must.

+1. If it's too hot for you to wear an undershirt, I'd get a P2000 instead.

MTechnik
03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I grew up in puerto rico, and SE PA is bad for humid hot summers. I've found that when it gets hot, a base layer keeps me cooler.

YMMV.

LittleLebowski
03-02-2011, 03:27 PM
+1. If it's too hot for you to wear an undershirt, I'd get a P2000 instead.

Or buy UnderArmor type shirts.

John Ralston
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Based on the dummy gun I have - it wouldn't be very comfy without an undershirt.

KentF
03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Or buy UnderArmor type shirts.

I've never worn these type of shirts. How are they different?

John Ralston
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
They are made from fabric similar to spandex, which hugs your body and wicks away moisture to keep you cooler.

Gordon
03-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks for all the info. Has anyone experimented with sanding or smoothing the carry side panel? I don't really want to go this route but would be interested if someone has done it.

F-Trooper05
03-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks for all the info. Has anyone experimented with sanding or smoothing the carry side panel? I don't really want to go this route but would be interested if someone has done it.

Yeah, it dulls the color a little bit, but it sort of helps. Spare grip panels are pretty cheap though, so if you don't like it it's not a big deal. The P2K is still quite a bit more comfortable against bare skin though IMHO.

gtmtnbiker98
03-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah, it dulls the color a little bit, but it sort of helps. Spare grip panels are pretty cheap though, so if you don't like it it's not a big deal. The P2K is still quite a bit more comfortable against bare skin though IMHO.I've considered resorting to a Hogue wrap around to overcome this issue, at times.

TCinVA
03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
I've never found it to be a problem carrying a P30 under a t-shirt...but I'm also the kind of guy who glues sandpaper to the grip. I guess I'm just used to it.

SouthNarc
03-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I've never found it to be a problem carrying a P30 under a t-shirt...but I'm also the kind of guy who glues sandpaper to the grip. I guess I'm just used to it.

Word.

MechEng
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM

+2

I bought a 30ft roll of skate board tape a decade ago and I still have enough to last me into 2030.

MTechnik
03-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Wait, you use sandpaper/skateboard tape, with it against your bare skin?

finnmike
03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I've worn iwb on my love-handle side with no problem other than a rusty 1911 or P7m8 (eek!) and my hide never hurt me. I can't see how my P30 will rub me AIWB, but I don't have a "lunchbox belly" either. Either way, one's hide will toughen up with use.

TCinVA
03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Wait, you use sandpaper/skateboard tape, with it against your bare skin?

Yes. The skateboard tape is something I need to be able to get a good solid grip on the handgun and maintain it for multiple shots. My P30 and M&P's both wear skateboard tape in the smooth space just behind the trigger guard to assist with getting some purchase on the weapon.

It's never bothered me when the pistol is in the holster.

KentF
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
They are made from fabric similar to spandex, which hugs your body and wicks away moisture to keep you cooler.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Occam's Razor
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
I actually took a ball peen hammer to my Glock 19 RTF. It was a resin hammer and applied very lightly to the area just under where the fingers of my strong hand wrap the grip and at the butt where it rubbed on clothing. Can't even see a difference except in the right light, doesn't compromise my grip and saves on some costly suit coats. Adding the liner to the strong side carry of the coat helps as well and is a cheap investment to your tailor.

MTechnik
03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Yes. The skateboard tape is something I need to be able to get a good solid grip on the handgun and maintain it for multiple shots. My P30 and M&P's both wear skateboard tape in the smooth space just behind the trigger guard to assist with getting some purchase on the weapon.

It's never bothered me when the pistol is in the holster.

Ah, not wrapped completely around, and the gun handle with the tape around it scraping against your bare skin, with no undershirt.

P30shtr
03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm in the process of potentially replacing my G19 (carried for 13 years) with a P30. I'd like to know if the grip texture is really as much of an issue as some have made it wrt EDC against bare skin. I live in South Africa, so most of the time it's too hot to wear multiple layers of clothing. I really like how the P30 shoots and handles but wearing it for 10-12hrs a day is the reality I will be facing.

I apologise if Todd has already covered this in his endurance test but I'd also like to know if anyone else has experience with this matter.

Well, round here (PA) we call'em "wife-beaters", A shirts I guess technically. The ribbed tank tops, available in many colors now, used to be just white, anyhow.. They seem to work well for me under a T-shirt, tuck'em in and your good to go. Another member mentioned sanding the inside grip panel a bit which would work and yes, replacement panels are cheap. Another mentioned riding your boxers up high on your strong side. I actually used that method for a bit before I got a qaulity holster (CBST) and found the A-shirts. And it worked for a time but got old and uncomfortable after a while. The A-shirts seem to be the best thing I've come up with. S. Africa. was your location if I remember, never been there but, in Pa. it'll get into the 90's with 100% humidity and it seems to work for me. Lately in the winter (might not care or affect you due to climate but) I'll tuck in my T on my strong side, weapon exposed under a zip-up hoodie. Hope this helped a little. Better than sanding your panels. IMO.

1st post here by the way as I'm sure everyone can see. Just wanted to say thanks to Todd and all the the other knowledgeable folks for helping out and getting this thing going.

TCinVA
03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Ah, not wrapped completely around, and the gun handle with the tape around it scraping against your bare skin, with no undershirt.

Correct. I've done the full grip treatment in the past, but after really analyzing my grip I reduced the amount I used to just strategic spots where I needed more purchase to anchor my weak hand. The section of grip tape on my M&P's does actually come in contact with my bare skin, but I got used to that fairly quickly and it wasn't a problem. Ditto Glocks. On the P30 the CCC "Looper" holster covers most of the area where I have grip tape.

vecdran
03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Adding to the oft-repeated information: I wear Underarmor undershirts. I'm a sweaty guy, so they have the added benefit of keeping me cooler. :)

Been IWB carrying a P30 for almost a year now. The shirts are getting roughed up where the gun is, but they appear to be holding in terms of thickness. I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace them every other year. (I'll have to do this regardless, because I'm shrinking. :p)

Glock17
08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Something like this..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/th_DriFit-Tshirt.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/?action=view&current=DriFit-Tshirt.jpg)