PDA

View Full Version : A New Direction?

Joe in PNG
10-30-2011, 09:42 PM
In a couple of months I shall be leaving the gunless lands of Papua New Guinea and returning to the lands of my birth, where I can actually buy and carry a gun to defend myself.

However, I am convinced that my stash of shooty goodness back in the USA is likely insufficent for the task of self defense, as pretty much any plan that starts with "draw the .25acp pistol from the pocket..."

So, there's a few directions I could go in picking the hardware and training...

1) Practice with the Revolver I've already got, and maybe get another one. I do have a nice little S&W M64 snub 38 that I like lots. I could always get another M64 in a 4" as the primary and carry both.
Advantages: Cheap, reliable, and a great trigger to work with, both for dry fire, ball and dummy drills, ect.
Disadvantages: Lack of good holsters, not a lot of rounds if I've got to deal with a lot of baddies.

2) Get a cheap police trade in TDA 9mm auto (S&W 5906, Beretta, Sig 226). I've been finding the TDA thread very interesting, and would like to put lots of dry trigger time in once I get a chance. Plus, 9mm is cheaper than .38spec.

3) "Get rid of that nickle plated sissy gun and get a Glock". Which I'm very tempted to do. However, I'm not too sure about their reliabilty these days. However, it's a lot easier to get parts and accessories for the Glock than pretty much anything.

And, as a poor minister, I'd really like to keep the cost down.

So guys, what do you all think?

YVK
10-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I've been finding the TDA thread very interesting, and would like to put lots of dry trigger time in once I get a chance.

I think that general consensus in TDA thread that it requires more effort to master. Combined with ...

I'd really like to keep the cost down.

..I think Glock is your best option. Dry-fire is great, but only takes you that far. I think your ammo cost/expenditure with TDA will exceed the one with Glock for the same level of proficiency.
I don't own a true TDA gun, but I have a LEM pistol which has some similarities with TDA. I am reasonably OK with Glock, but my progress with LEM has been less than stellar. I am stuck at very slow pressouts, slow rolls through a trigger pull, and ball and dummy - all live ammo 'cause I don't have issues with dry. It all eats up time, and ammo.

Wheeler
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
As much as I hate to admit, .38 SPL ammo costs might well be prohibitive unless you reload or have a source for reloading. I just shot the Ga. State IDPA match with a +P load for a cost of about 11 cents a round. No way I can purchase factory ammo for that.

Depending on your preferred method of carry, there are several holster options out there. Not as many as whatever the latest popular gun is, but they are available.

If you decide to carry your 64, shoot me a PM or email and I can provide you with several links for holster options.

Best regards,
Wheeler

ToddG
10-31-2011, 08:38 AM
To paraphrase Failure2Stop, unless you've got a specific reason not to buy a Glock, you should just buy a Glock.

JAD
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
It's unseemly to appear to contradict recommendations of a Glock. However, I think the K frame is a fine gun, and you own it. For less than half of the cost of two Glocks (one is none and two is one, right?) you can get another po-po trade in 64 and a decent progressive reloader. Reloading is a fun hobby in and of itself -- it's one of those things that gets me to the range -- and reloaded .38spec is MUCH cheaper than and at least as effective as factory 9mm.

LittleLebowski
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Watch summitgunbroker.com for police trade 9mm Glocks.

jetfire
10-31-2011, 01:38 PM
I can think of one good reason to not buy a Glock: CDNN is blowing out 5906s for $299 right now. Buy two!

Mitchell, Esq.
10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
In a couple of months I shall be leaving the gunless lands of Papua New Guinea and returning to the lands of my birth, where I can actually buy and carry a gun to defend myself.

However, I am convinced that my stash of shooty goodness back in the USA is likely insufficent for the task of self defense, as pretty much any plan that starts with "draw the .25acp pistol from the pocket..."

So, there's a few directions I could go in picking the hardware and training...

1) Practice with the Revolver I've already got, and maybe get another one. I do have a nice little S&W M64 snub 38 that I like lots. I could always get another M64 in a 4" as the primary and carry both.
Advantages: Cheap, reliable, and a great trigger to work with, both for dry fire, ball and dummy drills, ect.
Disadvantages: Lack of good holsters, not a lot of rounds if I've got to deal with a lot of baddies.

2) Get a cheap police trade in TDA 9mm auto (S&W 5906, Beretta, Sig 226). I've been finding the TDA thread very interesting, and would like to put lots of dry trigger time in once I get a chance. Plus, 9mm is cheaper than .38spec.

3) "Get rid of that nickle plated sissy gun and get a Glock". Which I'm very tempted to do. However, I'm not too sure about their reliabilty these days. However, it's a lot easier to get parts and accessories for the Glock than pretty much anything.

I think you should make a risk, training, skill, & financial assessment for your sitaution, and start from that point.

Before investing money & time into new gear, what do you want it to do for yourself?
Can you afford what you'd really like, and is what you have insufficient for your reasonably forseeable needs?

LittleLebowski
10-31-2011, 01:45 PM
I can think of one good reason to not buy a Glock: CDNN is blowing out 5906s for $299 right now. Buy two!

You could get a used G17 with night sights for $85 more here (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_17__369.html). I know he's out now but he gets more in regularly.

JonInWA
10-31-2011, 01:53 PM
I think that the best bang for your buck (and yes, with every pun intended) would be to go with a Glock; either a Gen 3 or a current Gen4. Caliber wise, without knowing your specific situation/needs/experience, I'd suggest going with 9mm, as there are excellent self-defense cartridges available, along with inexpensive factory ball ammunition for practice.

In 9mm, I'd suggest either a Gen 3 or Gen4 G19 or G17;

In .40 S&W, I'd suggest a Gen4 G22 or G23

In .45 ACP I'd suggest either a Gen 3 (either regular frame of SF frame, depending on your index/hand size) or Gen4 G21

While I like my revolvers, I see them as somewhat limited scope weapons; mine are pretty much limited to nightstand use and occasional IDPA matches. While simple guns, their triggerpull is harder to master, and they're slower and more difficult to reload. Due to modern ergonomics, autopistols seem to index much better and naturally for me.

Best, Jon

TCinVA
10-31-2011, 02:14 PM

[The Great Carnac] May a diseased holy man soil your shelf paper. [/The Great Carnac]

Dangling cheap 3rd gen Smith 9mm's in front of me is just mean.

Joe in PNG
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, the cheap 5906's & 64 are the big reason I'm wavering about just going with a Glock straight up. However, I'm not really wedded to any particular platform. I don't even have a heck of a lot invested in the 64- just a couple of cheap speedloaders and a nylon pocket holster.

Mainly I want to have a gun I can shoot lots and carry everywhere, one that works without trouble, is pleasent to shoot and that I can get stuff for without too much trouble*. Something I can fix and modify without needing a lot of specialty junk... something like a Glock...I think I just made up my mind.

*After owning CZs, Tauruses, Rugers, Kel-tecs....

TCinVA
10-31-2011, 02:50 PM
If I was looking for a general utility handgun because I didn't have like 8,000 already, I'd buy a good used Glock without hesitation. I'm lusting after the Smiths because I'm a collector geek...not because I'd carry a 5906 for CCW. I sold a NOS 5906 I'd fired less than 20 rounds through to help buy the P30's which I've fired lots of rounds through.

jetfire
10-31-2011, 03:08 PM
You could get a used G17 with night sights for $85 more here (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_17__369.html). I know he's out now but he gets more in regularly.

But then you can't reenact all the awesome scenes from Reservoir Dogs in your bathroom mirror while you're "dry firing."

Joe in PNG
10-31-2011, 03:11 PM
But then you can't reenact all the awesome scenes from Reservoir Dogs in your bathroom mirror while you're "dry firing."

I'd need two 5906's for that one. However, I already have the suit.

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 01:49 PM
As with many DA/SA weapons of that era, the 3rd gen S&W's are a bit of a pain to work on...go with a used 3rd gen G19 or G17.

jetfire
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
As with many DA/SA weapons of that era, the 3rd gen S&W's are a bit of a pain to work on...go with a used 3rd gen G19 or G17.

You are not kidding about that. For DA/SA autos I automatically gravitate towards a Beretta 92G, which really likes to shoot little springs all over the place when you're detail stripping it.

Joe in PNG
11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Now the tough part: 17 or 19...:)

jetfire
11-01-2011, 03:16 PM
17. The 19 gives me a hellacious blister when I reload at speed.

TGS
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Dangling cheap 3rd gen Smith 9mm's in front of me is just mean.

Just wait for when NYPD decides to retire their 5946's. There's about 35,000 sworn officers with NYPD and they issue three different pistols, so I'd be curious to see how many get sold second-hand and for what price. Hopefully they don't melt them down like the NJSP did with their few thousand P7M8's....

There was a shop in Richmond with 5906's and 6904's for $319 out the door.

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
"The 19 gives me a hellacious blister when I reload at speed."

That is why I ONLY use G17 mags (or G19 mags with Glock +2 extenders and G17 mag springs) to reload my G19 with.

NickA
11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Now the tough part: 17 or 19...:)

The 19 may be a better "all-purpose " gun, but the 17 really isn't much harder to conceal if you're average size or bigger. One thing to consider is if you start with a 17 and later add a 19, you'll have some compatibility with mags and holsters, not so much if you start with a 19.
Really there's no right answer but luckily there's no wrong answer either.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Even though I primarily carry a G19, I always use G17 holsters and G17 mags (except for one G19 mag in the pistol)--then there are NO problems with compatibility...

NickA
11-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Even though I primarily carry a G19, I always use G17 holsters and G17 mags (except for one G19 mag in the pistol)--then there are NO problems with compatibility...

Good call, that way you never load up a bunch of 19 mags to shoot a match with your 17... Not that I've ever done that;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

David Armstrong
11-01-2011, 04:25 PM

I think Option 1 has a lot going for it. The advantages you listed are clearly there for you as listed. And your disadvantages are not that bad. There are LOTS of holsters made for K-frame S&Ws, 2" or 4", and despite the hype a revolver will handle pretty much everything that a normal CCW holder or homeowner can reasonably expect to run across. FWIW a little shopping can find .38 ammo very close to 9mm ammo in cost. There are some advantages to the auto, no doubt, but a good revolver has a lot going for it also.

Joe in PNG
11-23-2011, 02:44 AM
USELESS UPDATE (as it will be over a month before I can get anything):

For some reason the M&P Compact is really appealing to me right now. So, if I go that way, what would I need to make it run really good- other than an Apex RAM?

Ooor, I may trade off my S&W1917 for a Browning Highpower- which I may just do anyway, because Browning Highpower!