PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Rx Eyepro

Drang
05-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Posted this in the Costas Eyepro (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20636-Anybody-Using-Costas-for-Eyepro/page2) thread, decided to start a separate one:

Experiences with prescription inserts for ESS/Oakly/Wiley/Etc. eyepro, as opposed to plain old (safety) prescription glasses with side shields?

saints75
05-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Oakley or ESS. Oakley owns ESS. If you get the ESS U-Rx, they will fit ESS and Oakley M Frames. I believe ESS and Oakley will fill your subscription. I have been thinking about getting this done.

http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html

saints75
05-24-2016, 10:55 PM
One more thing, I was told Oaky takes VIP Vision Plain. I would think ESS might do the same.

SLG
05-25-2016, 06:42 AM
I have Oakley Rx glasses, as well as Rudy Project. I prefer the Rudy's.

TAZ
05-25-2016, 12:36 PM
I have ESS Crossbow with the Rx insert. Not the URD but the thinner unit. Works well, but there are some rx limitations. The rx lenses are also pretty small so unless I have my head perfectly level there is a risk that the frame of the insert obstructs field of view. Have Wiley X that was cut by my optometrist. They are OK, I should have gone with progressives or bifocals, but that's on me not them. Oakley has nice RX service, but they are $$. Not sure if they do anything but single vision though. There are a few shooting related rx services out there like tacticalrx.com but I have no experience with those.

Drang
05-26-2016, 01:00 AM
I'm about to move into trifocal territory for daily wear (Get off my lawn!), but if I go with something that takes a separate insert like the Oakleys I'll probably just do bifocals. The next question is whether I should go with a standard configuration, or the reverse (upside down, whatever) setup.

Palisut
05-26-2016, 02:20 AM
I've been very happy with Smith Optics, both prescription and non-prescription.

Trigger
05-26-2016, 11:30 AM
I recently purchased two pairs of Oakley prescription glasses through their OakleySI.com program. I'm very satisfied! One pair of dedicated shooting glasses (Half Jacket, Persimmon lenses), and one pair of photochromic driving/flying glasses (Wiretap, brown transitions).

Great glasses at a reasonable price.

BillSWPA
05-26-2016, 04:32 PM
I'm about to move into trifocal territory for daily wear (Get off my lawn!), but if I go with something that takes a separate insert like the Oakleys I'll probably just do bifocals. The next question is whether I should go with a standard configuration, or the reverse (upside down, whatever) setup.

While I have no experience with trifocals, I do wear bifocals. I was very fortunate that the first set I got has distance on top, near on the bottom, and a gradual transition in between. I found that I could see exactly what I needed to see with no adjustments. I am naturally looking through the top of the lens for distance and bottom for reading. The transition region is good for front sight focus.

I cannot imagine trying to use a reverse setup. A traditional line would not provide that valuable transition region. Other friends who have various regions of distance and near throughout the lens complain about the results.

farscott
05-29-2016, 11:21 AM
I have experience with 3M ANSI safety glasses with both fixed and detachable side shields, Rudy Projects with prescription lenses, and Rudy Project goggles with prescription inserts behind the goggle safety lenses. For shooting, I really like the Rudy Projects with the lenses as opposed to the interchangeable inserts although the goggles offer different color outer lenses for shotgun sports. The 3M glasses with fixed side shields are nice for rifle shooting from the bench. In any event, getting a proper Rx with the correct pupil distance is important.

My ears are bad enough (nearsighted since 7 and wearing bifocals since I was 36) that my regular eye doc is part of an ophthalmology practice. I asked my doc for permission to bring unloaded handguns to the office to get the focus on the front sight nice and sharp. Makes a huge difference for me with handguns.

MAP
05-30-2016, 10:27 PM
I've used ESS with inserts and Rudy and Decot RX. Rudy and Decot are not inserts. In my experience the inserts are not as good.

http://www.decot.com

Mike

splittime
05-31-2016, 09:00 PM
I use ess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farscott
06-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Here are the Rudy Project I use with the Rx inserts, the Ekynox SX: http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=9&item_id=SN761042

The pluses about these is that the outer lenses are replaceable and one can have multiple Rx inserts for the same set. I have Rx inserts for pistol shooting and shotgun shooting. The negative is that the Rx insert sometimes wants to "pop off" the frame during vigorous activity. That is why I have another set of Ekynox SX with in-frame Rx lenses that I use for most generic outside stuff.