PDA

View Full Version : Why be an operator when you can be a commander?

45dotACP
05-23-2016, 11:45 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/95f78ccc8ac42773e16ca260413d75b7.jpg

Since I decided to start focusing on 1911s I picked up a gun that shoots 9mm because 9mm 1911s rock. I just picked it up from layaway and took it straight from the box to the range...no cleaning, no "tuning" and factory mags. After the first "150 flawless rounds" I must say, I'm enjoying the idea of a 9mm commander...it shoots and handles nicely. The barrel rides the link some but it is a production grade 1911 and accurate enough for me.

Series 80...I don't care.

The metalform 9 round mags are nice...I may stick with those or the CMC XP10, which seems to be a ten round variant.

I'll be running it as a carry pistol when vetted...will be shooting it in matches to drive the round count up and see if any problems surface.

I also now have the time/funds for a 2k challenge, so I may be doing that soon. Other changes to include a beavertail safety, thumb safety and maybe new sights....though I don't really hate the current setup.

psalms144.1
05-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Ruh roh, Raggy! Are we going to have to change your user name?

Seriously, you guys are KILLIN' me with the 1911s...

Robinson
05-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Since I decided to start focusing on 1911s I picked up a gun that shoots 9mm because 9mm 1911s rock. I just picked it up from layaway and took it straight from the box to the range...no cleaning, no "tuning" and factory mags. After the first "150 flawless rounds" I must say, I'm enjoying the idea of a 9mm commander...it shoots and handles nicely. The barrel rides the link some but it is a production grade 1911 and accurate enough for me.

Series 80...I don't care.

The metalform 9 round mags are nice...I may stick with those or the CMC XP10, which seems to be a ten round variant.

I'll be running it as a carry pistol when vetted...will be shooting it in matches to drive the round count up and see if any problems surface.

I also now have the time/funds for a 2k challenge, so I may be doing that soon. Other changes to include a beavertail safety, thumb safety and maybe new sights....though I don't really hate the current setup.

Mine was the same except it came from the factory with a beavertail grip safety and grooved front strap. Really nice little pistols. As mentioned before, mine ran great with ball ammunition but I traded it for another CCP. I hope you have great luck with yours.

1986s4
05-24-2016, 09:32 AM
I put a 10-8 NM rear sight on my Colt government, it fits right in the factory dovetail. Great sight picture and same zero as the factory set up which works for me.

rauchman
05-24-2016, 01:17 PM
All these 9mm 1911 threads are making my wallet worry.....

I can't make it out in the pic, but what brand pistol is this?

Robinson
05-24-2016, 03:29 PM

That is a Colt.

45dotACP
05-24-2016, 05:32 PM

Lol sorry about the crappy cell phone pics! My camera has the sharpness of a potato.

It's one of the newer Colts...they're said to be making some of their best quality 1911s for more affordable prices to stave off bankruptcy.

If you have the means, I'd highly recommend picking one up ;)

45dotACP
05-24-2016, 11:54 PM
Yeah, will be getting a new BTGS and a thumb safety. Ran the gun in a skills and drills session. It was absolutely a joy to shoot, except for when I got a high grip on the rat tail which was a bit uncomfortable. The thumb safety was a little tough to hit and I missed it a few times.

It was incredibly easy to control and the sight setup is still pretty acceptable for me so that'll probably stay the same.

Ran like a top. I like it.

Robinson
05-25-2016, 02:58 PM
I actually like the thumb safeties Colt puts on their standard guns -- almost enough to install them on my new CCPs which are the only ones I have with extended safeties. :)

I'm glad you are digging the Commander.

JTQ
05-25-2016, 07:30 PM
I actually like the thumb safeties Colt puts on their standard guns ...
I do too. I also like the rat tail grip safety.

LockedBreech
05-26-2016, 12:22 AM
After about a month I am entirely contented that my first 1911 purchase - and only one for a while - was a Colt. It's a very nicely put together pistol.

This thread makes me want to get him a 9mm buddy.