PDA

View Full Version : Snake Gun

NorthernHeat
05-23-2016, 01:43 PM
I am looking to get a new gun and one of its main functions will be killing snakes.

I live in the country, but we have other houses around us (sub-division type) so running around blasting a 12 gauge all the time while acceptable, would probably not be optimal.

I was hoping to get a gun that would also double in some other role (carry, backup, etc) so I just didn't have the gun collecting dust most of the time.

I know that any gun would probably get the job done, but I got "new gun money" to spend.

Ideas?

Velo Dog
05-23-2016, 01:56 PM
J- frame S&W snub and .38 Special shot shells.

If you want a semi- auto pistol, I would recommend .45 ACP loaded with CCI shot shells. The Glock 30S might be worth considering.

Cory
05-23-2016, 02:03 PM
J- frame S&W snub and .38 Special shot shells.

Yup.

I just moved out of New England (where there are Copperheads but they are infrequent). If I was going to carry a snake gun that wasn't a long gun, I'm pretty sure that's what I would do.

-Cory

NorthernHeat
05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Seems like about every website I look at is "out of stock" of .38 spl shot shells?

1slow
05-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Last snake I killed with a pistol I used my then CCW Sig220 .45acp. It was what I had at the time. Any pistol you can hit with will work.
Mostly if I have to kill a poisonous snake I like a ditch bank blade ( machete on a 4' handle).

Super77
05-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Here I was hoping this would be about Colts. I always just used one of these (http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-44-in-Wood-Handle-Transfer-Shovel-2531200/204412430) for snakes vs. (a) breaking the lay by discharging a firearm in a residential area and (b) spraying lead shot and primer residue all over my dwelling. To each his own though. A revolver loaded with snake shot is the classic "snake gun".

farscott
05-23-2016, 02:37 PM
I like to use a S&W K-38 Masterpiece (Model 14) with SWC rounds. I have also used my P30 carry gun, a .45 1911, and a .45 ACP S&W 625. The issue is the backstop as the angle tends to be more glancing than I prefer unless I am on a mower or tractor -- and then I use that. For that reason, the shotgun gets the nod if I have time to get a gun.

psalms144.1
05-23-2016, 02:42 PM
J- frame S&W snub and .38 Special shot shells.This, x 100.

I have never had any semiautomatic be anything other than a single-shot when loaded with shot shells, in any caliber. I would think that would be doubly true of most compact/subcompact semis with dual recoil springs (lookin' at you, GLOCK).

scw2
05-23-2016, 02:45 PM
kill it with fire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qytppqLt72c

okie john
05-23-2016, 02:51 PM
I am looking to get a new gun and one of its main functions will be killing snakes.

I live in the country, but we have other houses around us (sub-division type) so running around blasting a 12 gauge all the time while acceptable, would probably not be optimal.

I was hoping to get a gun that would also double in some other role (carry, backup, etc) so I just didn't have the gun collecting dust most of the time.

I know that any gun would probably get the job done, but I got "new gun money" to spend.

Ideas?

The best thing about picking "a new handgun for Texas" is that you can justify pretty much anything. You could do almost all of this with a G19, but why limit ourselves?

Not sure where you are in Texas or how close the neighbors are, but I'd expect to see more targets of opportunity than just snakes: the occasional possum, coyote, anything with rabies, feral dog/cat, packs of dogs from town who decide to hunt livestock, feral hog, javelina, raccoon, armadillo, etc. I wouldn't shoot a skunk with a handgun, as it's hard to get vital hits from outside of the primary blast radius, and the secondary radius is a lot bigger and nastier than most folks think. Don't ask me how I know that.

If the neighbors are nearby, then my first thought is a good 22 LR, ideally a suppressed semi-auto. As for secondary uses, a 22 would be great for new shooters, and it's quiet enough that you won't gather too much unwanted attention even if you don't suppress it.

If the neighbors are farther away, then I'd look at the other end of the scale. Texas has no shortage of feral hogs and two-legged critters, and it's not impossible to jump a white-tail within handgun range. I'd be tempted to go with a 45 ACP, 44 Special, down-loaded 44 Magnum, or 45 Colt in a 4-5" revolver. 230-250 grains at 900-1,100 fps seems about right for that, though maybe not if the neighbors are close or uncooperative.

Given the rich array of possible targets, I think I'd stick with duty-grade ammo rather than snake shot. A pistol bullet will rip a snake in half IF you hit it, and you don't run the risk of irritating a more substantial target with a quarter-teaspoon of #12 shot.

Okie John

BehindBlueI's
05-23-2016, 02:53 PM
I carried a single action .44 magnum with CCI shot shells for the purpose.

GJM
05-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Long handle shovel

1slow
05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
The best thing about picking "a new handgun for Texas" is that you can justify pretty much anything. You could do almost all of this with a G19, but why limit ourselves?

Not sure where you are in Texas or how close the neighbors are, but I'd expect to see more targets of opportunity than just snakes: the occasional possum, coyote, anything with rabies, feral dog/cat, packs of dogs from town who decide to hunt livestock, feral hog, javelina, raccoon, armadillo, etc. I wouldn't shoot a skunk with a handgun, as it's hard to get vital hits from outside of the primary blast radius, and the secondary radius is a lot bigger and nastier than most folks think. Don't ask me how I know that.

If the neighbors are nearby, then my first thought is a good 22 LR, ideally a suppressed semi-auto. As for secondary uses, a 22 would be great for new shooters, and it's quiet enough that you won't gather too much unwanted attention even if you don't suppress it.

If the neighbors are farther away, then I'd look at the other end of the scale. Texas has no shortage of feral hogs and two-legged critters, and it's not impossible to jump a white-tail within handgun range. I'd be tempted to go with a 45 ACP, 44 Special, down-loaded 44 Magnum, or 45 Colt in a 4-5" revolver. 230-250 grains at 900-1,100 fps seems about right for that, though maybe not if the neighbors are close or uncooperative.

Given the rich array of possible targets, I think I'd stick with duty-grade ammo rather than snake shot. A pistol bullet will rip a snake in half IF you hit it, and you don't run the risk of irritating a more substantial target with a quarter-teaspoon of #12 shot.

Okie John

I never liked shot in a pistol for the above reason, shot will solve some shooting problems, bullet will solve most shooting problems.

GJM's HK USP 45 would seem good 12+1 rounds of either .45 Super 230gr @ 1100fps or normal .45acp available.

GJM
05-23-2016, 03:31 PM
A recent purchase we made:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image_zps3q3emans.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image_zps3q3emans.jpeg.html)

Malamute
05-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Long handle shovel

Shovel, rock, hoe, bullets, shot loads, shotguns.

I like shot loads in pistols best, revolvers in particular. I keep the first round or two shot loads and the rest regular loads. When around other people or houses within ricochet danger closeness, shot loads in a pistol are excellent, second only to a shovel or similar.

If you reload, you can get empty shot capsules from Speer. Ive loaded them with No 9 shot, they work great in 38 spl. Be sure they are crimped enough not to walk the capsules out if you shoot one or two. Have made home made shot loads in 45 Colt and 45-70 also. Felt wad (black powder "wonder wads"), shot, then gas check or heavy waxed cardboard milk carton and crimped over that.

If carrying a long gun around, round ball loads loaded to 22 LR power work great in 30-30. Tapping the snake on the head with the butt of a Winchester carbine works well also.

BehindBlueI's
05-23-2016, 03:59 PM
I never liked shot in a pistol for the above reason, shot will solve some shooting problems, bullet will solve most shooting problems.

GJM's HK USP 45 would seem good 12+1 rounds of either .45 Super 230gr @ 1100fps or normal .45acp available.

That's why I liked the single action. If trouble that wasn't a snake appeared, half cock and turn the cylinder a click. Now you've got real bullets ready to go.

rd62
05-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Let me know where you find .38spl snake shot.

SLG
05-23-2016, 07:01 PM
You really want a hard cast bullet moving at least 1000 fps.

Kidding.

You definitely don't want a shambok, regardless of what the natives do.

MistWolf
05-23-2016, 07:05 PM
There was a period in my life that I couldn't walk out the door without running into a rattlesnake. I carried a 357 revolver with snake shot and only killed one rattler with it and was very dissatisfied with the results. All the other rattlers I'd encountered were dealt with by a stick. A good walking stick is more than long enough to keep the rattler far enough away that you're well out of its striking range.

Rattlesnakes are Pit Vipers. Vipers are one of the most accurate venom delivery systems in the reptile world but are easily dealt with if you take a little care. On the average, they only hit their target 25% of the time. The strike is quick. They go from 0 to about 25 mph in a distance no more than one third to a half of their body length. But their reach is limited to about half their body length and they have poor endurance. After making three or four strikes, they are done. They are too exhausted to make any more strikes.

Use a stick and get the rattlesnake to strike at it until it's too exhausted to strike anymore, then use the stick to carry off the snake to a safer place or simply crush its head. Make sure to use a sturdy stick. A rattlesnake hits hard.

I've seen many rattlesnakes shot by my father and others. I use a stick and it's always easier. Rattlesnake is very tasty pan fried in butter with some salt & pepper

flyrodr
05-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Have shot a couple of snakes with .22 "rat shot", one snake with a .22HP, and one with a .38Sp. As a kid, shot several big rats with the rat shot, and many more with .22HP and various centerfire pistols (a local "sport" at the trash dump, before it was converted to a covered landfill). Small sample size, but enough to not make me a fan of .22s with shot, especially at any distance. Agree with the centerfire revolver idea with one chamber with shot. Larger, and more shot, and works if you're hunting with a revolver in snake country. Can confirm that 9mm and .45 shot cartridges generally don't cycle semi-autos. A friend in TX keeps a Taurus with a couple of .410 shells in it handy when out on his ranch. Was photographing wildflowers one spring in NC when I saw a rattler on the side of the dirt road we were on. Told one of the guys at the nearby USFS station, and he demonstrated how efficient and versatile a tool a fire rake can be; chopped that snake (which had stayed put) right up. Bottom line - - - use what ya got. But maybe not the .22 shot.

littlejerry
05-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Never really understood the need for shot personally. I've used 22lr and 9mm to shoot them in the head. It's not as if the range is all that great; careful aim is all you need.

That's assuming you don't have a perfectly good shovel laying around.

RevolverRob
05-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Okay three things come to mind:

First, just because you "live in the country" does not necessarily make discharge of a firearm legal. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm - You can argue that discharging a weapon to kill a snake is legal, but I wouldn't really push it and piss of Game Wardens in Texas if I were you.

Second, there is virtually zero need to kill a snake in Texas, unless it is actively attacking you, family, or livestock. Otherwise they are nice pest controllers and won't bother you. Depending on where you are in Texas, your chances of finding a venomous snake are virtually zero. My 6-year old nephew catches snakes for fun on the farm. Teach yourself and the family to ID dangerous snakes and don't worry about them, otherwise.

Third, if I were going to kill snakes, which I wouldn't do, because I know way too much about Texas herpetology and how important snakes are to local ecosystems in Texas, I would use one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-16-in-Ditch-Bank-Blade-with-Wood-Handle-2316600/100466221

BehindBlueI's
05-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Never really understood the need for shot personally.

Ever have a snake tangling with your dog?

1slow
05-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Okay three things come to mind:

First, just because you "live in the country" does not necessarily make discharge of a firearm legal. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm - You can argue that discharging a weapon to kill a snake is legal, but I wouldn't really push it and piss of Game Wardens in Texas if I were you.

Second, there is virtually zero need to kill a snake in Texas, unless it is actively attacking you, family, or livestock. Otherwise they are nice pest controllers and won't bother you. Depending on where you are in Texas, your chances of finding a venomous snake are virtually zero. My 6-year old nephew catches snakes for fun on the farm. Teach yourself and the family to ID dangerous snakes and don't worry about them, otherwise.

Third, if I were going to kill snakes, which I wouldn't do, because I know way too much about Texas herpetology and how important snakes are to local ecosystems in Texas, I would use one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-16-in-Ditch-Bank-Blade-with-Wood-Handle-2316600/100466221

Only ones I have killed are poisonous, aggressive, and near my pets or family. I live in rural SC. Fully agree on the ditch bank blade.

OlongJohnson
05-23-2016, 08:12 PM
A buddy who grew up in Wyoming said a tennis racket worked well on rattlers. Get them to focus on the head of the racket. With the racket at arm's length, you're out of range. Keep it moving in little circles, and they'll wait for it to stop for an instant. Once they rear up and prepare to strike, you swing it at their head. Hit them with enough speed, and you can kill them. Or at least immobilize them and then kill them with something else.

Never seen it done, so you're on your own if you try it.

Velo Dog
05-23-2016, 08:17 PM
there is virtually zero need to kill a snake in Texas

What part of "new gun money" did you not understand? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKioE7gzyE&list=PL47112947DB1DE491&index=3

serialsolver
05-23-2016, 08:22 PM
A snake gun for snakes. Keep a couple rounds of shot shells in it when you do yard work. When not in the yard it can be a bug.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/436553D1-875C-4AC7-80AD-FFBFB9BF7849_zpsuklb2vxb.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/436553D1-875C-4AC7-80AD-FFBFB9BF7849_zpsuklb2vxb.jpg.html)

I read somewhere the cci is coming out with a shot shells with bigger shot than #9. I haven't seen it yet.

If your neighbors houses are on 1 acre lots I don't think the neighbors will notice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CCT125US
05-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Nothing wrong with rolling your own snake shot. 25lbs of shot and several boxes of these goes a long way:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313962/speer-empty-shot-capsules-38-special-box-of-50

NorthernHeat
05-23-2016, 10:05 PM
I am not going out looking for snakes, but its hard to ignore them when they are leaned against your back door when you go to let the dogs out... or about a foot outside the door on your porch (where said dogs and family go out).

I kind of have a George Costanza vs The Pigeons type situation going on.

I am currently leaning toward one of the snake grabber/reacher items and a good shovel, but what to do with the new gun money then:cool:

GJM
05-23-2016, 10:10 PM
I am not going out looking for snakes, but its hard to ignore them when they are leaned against your back door when you go to let the dogs out... or about a foot outside the door on your porch (where said dogs and family go out).

I kind of have a George Costanza vs The Pigeons type situation going on.

I am currently leaning toward one of the snake grabber/reacher items and a good shovel, but what to do with the new gun money then:cool:

Snake training for your dogs?

Velo Dog
05-23-2016, 10:25 PM
I read somewhere the cci is coming out with a shot shells with bigger shot than #9.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/pestcontrol_specialty.aspx

JAD
05-24-2016, 03:48 AM
Let me know where you find .38spl snake shot.

Cabeleas. I think I left a couple of boxes when I had this discussion with myself a week ago.

JHC
05-24-2016, 06:54 AM
A year ago I had a big patch of ground ivy (not poison ivy) to clear and the rumor round here is this is nice copperhead habitat. IDK, 20+ years in GA and I've yet to see one. But it's up against a wooded thick area so I was cautious. I still really shouldn't be shooting a firearm in this neighborhood so in addition to my long rakes, hoes, etc I was using I bought this $35 repeater BB gun from Academy. It's a near perfect replica of an FDE M&P fullsize and it's a great little bb gun. CO2. Packs a good punch especially with a freshish cartridge and was tack driver at 15 feet. It's trigger was a DA and felt about 7 lbs or so.

I've had some fun using it to practice SHO shooting on the run too in the back yard.

olstyn
05-24-2016, 07:09 AM

Gotta agree with RR here. Snakes are predators which prey on disease-spreading vermin (rodents). Killing snakes is counterproductive unless they're an active, direct threat to you, and even then it's regrettable. If I could persuade a non-venomous snake to take up rodent-interdiction duty in my garage, I'd happily provide said snake with heat and fresh water, along with anything else I could think of to make it happy. Mice got into my garage over the winter, and I had to sanitize my loading bench before I could use it this spring. Little bastards shat on my shell plate, and chewed into my tube of Loctite 271, which I sincerely hope poisoned the guilty party. Now if I just had a snake living out there, it never would have happened...

JHC
05-24-2016, 07:46 AM
BTW, just learned that the harmless garter snake, which I grew up catching and hanging around my neck etc; is now though to be mildly venomous; technically. Apparently it's venom comes from teeth way back in his mouth that only comes into play as it's swallowing something and it partially to get the digesting of the morsel started. I take it an animal of any size would never notice it.

41magfan
05-24-2016, 08:37 AM
With no intention of derailing the context of snake elimination, a "back in the day" story about shotshells:

One night on the graveyard shift, we kept getting a motion alarm activation at a large, dimly lit warehouse used to store large bales of cotton. The building was secure from the outside, but the alarm continued to activate every few minutes. A company rep finally came out and we searched the warehouse without finding anything. Just as we were leaving, I caught a glimpse of movement out of my peripheral vision and discovered that a little brown bat was our culprit. Every once in a while, he would fly close enough to a sensor to set it off. I retrieved my .38/.357 shotshells from my kit-bag, loaded up my S&W Mod 13 and summarily eliminated the source of the problem.

They aren't just for snakes. ;^)

rd62
05-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Cabeleas. I think I left a couple of boxes when I had this discussion with myself a week ago.

No joy just now. Nor any at Bass Pro, Brownells, Gander Mt, Midway, etc... If anyone sees any please let me know.

SLG
05-24-2016, 07:49 PM
With no intention of derailing the context of snake elimination, a "back in the day" story about shotshells:

One night on the graveyard shift, we kept getting a motion alarm activation at a large, dimly lit warehouse used to store large bales of cotton. The building was secure from the outside, but the alarm continued to activate every few minutes. A company rep finally came out and we searched the warehouse without finding anything. Just as we were leaving, I caught a glimpse of movement out of my peripheral vision and discovered that a little brown bat was our culprit. Every once in a while, he would fly close enough to a sensor to set it off. I retrieved my .38/.357 shotshells from my kit-bag, loaded up my S&W Mod 13 and summarily eliminated the source of the problem.

They aren't just for snakes. ;^)

Bats are some of my favorite people. 10,000 pushups for you!

41magfan
05-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Bats are some of my favorite people. 10,000 pushups for you!

Aye aye, Sir .....

olstyn
05-24-2016, 10:15 PM
BTW, just learned that the harmless garter snake, which I grew up catching and hanging around my neck etc; is now though to be mildly venomous; technically. Apparently it's venom comes from teeth way back in his mouth that only comes into play as it's swallowing something and it partially to get the digesting of the morsel started. I take it an animal of any size would never notice it.

That's actually true of lots of colubrids. Their venom is typically not dangerous to humans unless an allergic reaction occurs (there are some pictures floating around on the internet of some guy whose arm swelled up like crazy from a hognose bite, for example), and their delivery system sucks; basically as long as you don't let them chew on you, you're very unlikely to get envenomated. The term "harmless" still mostly applies.

BillSWPA
05-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Bats can eat a lot of mosquitos every hour.

SLG
05-25-2016, 06:51 AM

We try to keep them around for that very reason.

mushka
05-28-2016, 01:19 PM
I live in southern Az. and when we go quail hunting we get into some really thick underbrush trying to find down birds. Every once in a while a rattler will be found. I have a little NAA .22mag revolver with snake shot and it dispatches them right well. Probably shooting ten feet or under, kills them right now if you get them in the head. The gun is small and easily manageable in the thickets.

Buckshot
05-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Having grown up in Copperhead & Water Mocassin country, I always preferred something that fired a pattern of fine shot over a single projectile because most of the time I've encountered pit vipers that I decided needed shooting, I was up close & there were usually a lot of rocks about. #7-#12 pellet richochets are a lot less lethal (although not pleasant). Having said that, my dear deceased moms killed well over 100 copperheads with a shovel. If it was something that needed shooting, she'd hollar at me, but Musashi didn't have anything on mom when it came to snake killing.

Totem Polar
05-28-2016, 03:47 PM
I'll just leave this here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20708-Today-s-horror-story-Sneak-attack-Python-bites-man-s-penis

deputyG23
05-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Shovels and garden hoes were the weapons of choice for copperheads and water moccasins in my part of NC when I was a kid. Ammo was too expensive to waste on snakes...

RevolverRob
05-28-2016, 09:43 PM

One of the coolest academic lectures I've ever seen was a study attempting to understand how the various colonies around Austin of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats locate huge swarms of insects tens, twenty, sometimes as far away as a hundred miles, to feed on. And that in a single night a swarm of insects so thick it would show up on a low-level radar could be eliminated by a single colony of bats that find them. It was awesome.

Seriously, bats and lizards do far more to control insect populations than folks A) Appreciate and B) We can even begin to comprehend. I just remember walking away from that talk thinking, "Damn...I don't know anything about biology."

olstyn
05-28-2016, 09:50 PM
One of the coolest academic lectures I've ever seen was a study attempting to understand how the various colonies around Austin of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats locate huge swarms of insects tens, twenty, sometimes as far away as a hundred miles, to feed on. And that in a single night a swarm of insects so thick it would show up on a low-level radar could be eliminated by a single colony of bats that find them. It was awesome.

That's new (and very cool) info to me. Thanks for posting it! Learning stuff is cool. :)

Seriously, bats and lizards do far more to control insect populations than folks A) Appreciate and B) We can even begin to comprehend.

No surprise to anyone who has ever kept a gecko/bearded dragon/other lizard as a pet. They can eat a LOT of feeder crickets/mealworms/dubia roaches in a big hurry, especially as juveniles when they're converting calories into growth as fast as they can metabolize them. :)

Robert Mitchum
05-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Snake Dog "I wasn't bred for looks, I was bred to bang. I wasn't bred for size, I was bred for the game. I wasn't bred for color, I was bred to be game. My offspring is game, and I expect the same."