PDA

View Full Version : Here's a fun malfunction

Glenn E. Meyer
05-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Today at the IDPA match, our SO was shooting a Walther PPQ. He got it second hand with some aftermarket sights (don't know which ones). Anyway, when is shooting, we see his front sight flight off in a beautiful high arc. Here's the fun - the screw that held the sight, drops through the hole into the gun and jams the barrel against the slide. Weird, we all had to look it it.

I shot my SW 1911Sc, ran well - if one FTF in a match is fine. Easily dealt with. I note my arm did not come off as an army veteran told me that he once shot a 1911 in the service and it damn near tore his arm off. He was a captain in accounting.

Fun match - yesterday was a cluster as one the way to the match, the law put up barricades so we wouldn't drive into a raging creek.

Al T.
05-22-2016, 05:44 PM
it damn near tore his arm off

Well, when you have a firearm that will stop 19 men out of 20 with one shot, there's going to be trade-offs....... :cool:

My "funnest" malfunction was the goober who got a ported barrel for his Glock and promptly installed it. Sadly, the first shot was his last as the lack of porting in the slide drove the slide assembly straight up, coming to rest at about a 40 degree angle to the frame. The slide was retained by the two rearmost slide supports. Neat to look at, wish I had a picture....

rojocorsa
05-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Well, when you have a firearm that will stop 19 men out of 20 with one shot, there's going to be trade-offs....... :cool:

My "funnest" malfunction was the goober who got a ported barrel for his Glock and promptly installed it. Sadly, the first shot was his last as the lack of porting in the slide drove the slide assembly straight up, coming to rest at about a 40 degree angle to the frame. The slide was retained by the two rearmost slide supports. Neat to look at, wish I had a picture....

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?

Really? Dremel Dan at it again?

BehindBlueI's
05-22-2016, 09:34 PM
I shot my SW 1911Sc, ran well - if one FTF in a match is fine. Easily dealt with. I note my arm did not come off as an army veteran told me that he once shot a 1911 in the service and it damn near tore his arm off. He was a captain in accounting.

Your arms were lucky you were using civilian ammo. Military .45 ball's true velocity and bullet weight are highly classified, but rumored to be 389 gr at ++P^3++ pressure levels.

hufnagel
05-23-2016, 05:44 AM
http://manybrightdots.com/twg23/pictures/sota/memes/worthless20thread20without20pics.GIF

psalms144.1
05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Well, when you have a firearm that will stop 19 men out of 20 with one shot, there's going to be trade-offs....... :cool:Right hand to God, in about 2007, I was working a protection detail with an Army CID Agent (a Master Sergeant). He was telling us about the then-on-going handgun trials (remember those?) He told us, with 100% seriousness, that the new issue handgun was going to be a .45 ACP, because (I'll never forget this quote) "You can hit someone in the foot, and it will tear his whole leg off, and the MUZZLE BLAST will knock down people inside of a yard..."

You just plain can't make that $h1+ up...

okie john
05-23-2016, 08:22 AM
He was a captain in accounting.

I think I've found the problem.

Okie John

Glenn E. Meyer
05-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Yeah, some other veteran colleagues love that story and know the guy. One was a colonel up in the hills of VietNam with the tribes, another just a grunt who bought a 1911 on the side to carry with him (and shoots them just fine), the last was a SEAL (yes, really). Accounting is very important.

My weirdest malfunction was when the empty casing in a Glock rotated so that the mouth of the case was facing backwards and the slide slammed on it, jamming the edges into some spaces on slide. That took some prying to clear. Another was with a Taurus Pt-22 I bought way back when. It was very pretty with nice wood grips. Tip up barrel - I thought it might be a pocket bug (before the options we have now). It would jam, and eject entire live rounds. The scary one was the slide slammed shut on a 22 LR unfired round it was trying to eject out. The round was bent almost in half - oops.

Of course, there was my new G42 that fired partially out of battery and smoke and flames came out of the ejector port - EEK! Went back to Glock and has run ok since.

A Cooper-oid rule should be all guns malfunction. Saw a Beretta 92 safety leave the gun horizontally in a class.

BillSWPA
05-23-2016, 10:24 AM
While I have no firsthand experience with the tip-up barrel Taurus guns, I understand that the PLY-22 has redesigned feed lips that improve reliability.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-23-2016, 10:30 AM
I've been told the tip up Berettas were prone to malfunction also. I shot a friend's and it was a jammer. The 22 LR was friendly to those guns. With the new small guns, I can see the 22s only for the recoil shy. But that's fine with me - what works with one is a good thing.