PDA

View Full Version : May NRA IDPA Match - Drawing from Concealment while Seated

zeroflux
05-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Stages 3 & 4, both drawing from a seated position from the May IDPA Match at the NRA Headquarters Range in Fairfax, Virginia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wihHqGyss

Luke
05-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Just my opinion, but I think the video would be better without all the black and white stuff. The slo mo, where I would like to really look and see things, is very hard to see anything (for me) due to the effects.

That said, there's some local matches around here were seated draws and seated retention shooting would also double as a gunshot trauma match. Good to see it used though!

Lomshek
05-22-2016, 04:13 PM
The angle makes it hard to tell but at 0:51 the shooter looks like he's pointing the muzzle at his support palm/fingers. Might not be the case but he needs to work on keeping his support hand closer to his mid-line.

ETA - The above is intended purely as constructive criticism.

Lomshek
05-22-2016, 04:15 PM
That said, there's some local matches around here were seated draws and seated retention shooting would also double as a gunshot trauma match.

I think that's true of matches everywhere.

hufnagel
05-22-2016, 06:46 PM
less artsy fartsy and more matter of fact video would have been cool.
i as a total n00b see many things, and would have liked to see more.

JAD
05-23-2016, 12:23 AM
This may be something best learned in a class like Spencer's, but how do y'all draw behind the wheel from AIWB? I pull straight up until the hammer hits my sternal notch, point the gun up over the wheel, and pivot. It seems safeish but makes me nervous.

hufnagel
05-23-2016, 05:39 AM
Seems to me there's just certain situations where if you gotta draw your firearm there's just no "good, safe" way to do it without violating the 4 Rules. I guess in that moment you either risk shooting your manly bits off or you let the Bad Thing That's About To Happen To You, well, happen. I welcome observations and comments from the smarter people in here. :)

Lomshek
05-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Seems to me there's just certain situations where if you gotta draw your firearm there's just no "good, safe" way to do it without violating the 4 Rules.
I guess in that moment you either risk shooting your manly bits off or you let the Bad Thing That's About To Happen To You, well, happen.
I welcome observations and comments from the smarter people in here. :)

Maybe but here's my totally amateur thoughts on that approach.

I may someday be in a situation that forces me to do undesirable stuff like sweep myself for reasons unknown. If that happens I guess I'll hope that I've beat my other safety habits like trigger discipline so far into my psyche that I don't screw that up.

In the meantime I'm not going to make a habit of sweeping myself no matter what. In a competition I'll slow down my draw and add in some convoluted maneuverings before I point a muzzle at any part of me and I'll evaluate every video shot of me with a very critical eye toward safety. If I want to practice a draw that is likely to sweep me to work out the problems it presents then I'll use a blue gun.

I don't carry AIWB but in JAD's example I'd be pressing my hand hard against my gut to try and angle the muzzle toward the brake or gas pedal (between my feet) and away from the parts I hold dear.

scw2
05-23-2016, 11:03 PM
This may be something best learned in a class like Spencer's, but how do y'all draw behind the wheel from AIWB? I pull straight up until the hammer hits my sternal notch, point the gun up over the wheel, and pivot. It seems safeish but makes me nervous.

I think the way Spencer draws is to put outward pressure so that once the gun clears the holster, the muzzle is moving away from your body and towards the target as it rotates to meet your support hand. He draws pretty high and does more of a true pressout, so sitting down that didn't really change. Hope Spencer can provide corrections if I learned incorrectly from his class. :)

DAB
05-31-2016, 06:10 PM
the rules allow it, but i don't have to like it. i avoid designing stages with seated draws. table pickups, grab from box, stand and retrieve from somewhere else - there are plenty of options available that don't risk shooting your leg. if you aren't comfy with a seated draw, tell the SO, take the PE, pick it up off the table/ground/whereever and shoot the stage. i'd rather take a PE than have to learn how comfy a bullet hole is at the range.

cclaxton
06-16-2016, 09:27 AM
The purpose of this stage was to get used to drawing straight out of the holster, rotating the gun horizontal, and getting the muzzle downrange BEFORE you push out to make it a safer draw. The way to keep people safe is to have the SO coach them on leg/body position until they are clearly going to draw safely.

Before this match we had chairs set up along the side wall. We verified empty guns and practiced drawing while seated with a SO looking over. We gave corrections until we were comfortable that they could draw and shoot safely with real ammunition.

Stage design is also important here: don't place targets so that the shooter is tempted to draw across their legs.

Cody