PDA

View Full Version : Euro-FAST

Tierlieb
10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello there,

I had a bit of trouble trying to print the FAST test because of the legal paper format (8.5" x 14").
So I decided to build a version that fits on A4 format (about letter size, 8.5" x 11"), which is the most common paper format in Europe (see ISO 216).

Then I realized that the two target zones would be too close together if I kept them at the original size but tried to squish them onto the 3" shorter DIN A4 paper.
And since 7 yards are 6.4008 meters, which is also inconvenient to measure, I rescaled the whole thing to work at 5 meters, which is a distance that usually is clearly marked on European shooting ranges.
Targets now have 5/6.4008=~78% original size.

I call it the Euro-FAST. I created a .pdf for that.

Since the original FAST design belongs to Todd, I wanted to ask whether I may publish these here (and how he'd prefer me doing it).

Bye,
Tierlieb

jetfire
10-30-2011, 03:20 PM
That sounds pretty cool, I'd be interested to see the target.

ToddG
10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Tierlieb -- I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to ask.

Ideally, I'd much prefer it if you could switch all of Europe over to Imperial units. Failing that, though, you're certainly more than welcome to adjust the target as you see fit. Just be aware that a 5m (5.5yd) distance is going to be a little easier even if all the units and ratios are right because the closer the targets are to the shooter, the less visual work you have to do.

Slavex
10-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I would upsize it and move it to 7m or 10m

Frank D.
10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
I had the same issue with US Letter/A4, so I cropped out the rules part and moved the 3x5 around a bit, and shoot it at 10 meters. I will, however, move the target in closer if when find myself focusing too much on accuracy vs speed.

Unfortunately, I lost it in a HDD crash and haven't gotten around to doing another one yet, so I'm excited to see your PDF. :D

Tierlieb
11-01-2011, 05:36 AM
@Slavex
The problem is that moving further away from the target means enlarging the target areas proportionally - even with 7 yards, they barely fit on A4 and at 10 meters they would overlap on paper of the same size.
Hence the move down to 5 meters, which allows for reducing their size so they fit.

@ToddG
You are not the only one wishing for a unified measurement system ;-)

But could you explain what you mean by having to do less visual work at five meters than at seven yards? That's a concept I do not know about yet.

@everyone:
Here you go: http://www.tobiasprinz.biz/static/euro_fast_target.pdf - feel free to add it to the drills page.
Note: Border is 2mm and is supposed to be included in the measurement.

Any criticisms? Maybe I got something wrong after all.

ToddG
11-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Tierlieb -- All else being equal, the closer the target is to the shooter the less his eyes need to move and the clearer the target will appear with a front sight focus. At longer distances -- well beyond the 5m/7yd point -- you also have trajectory to take into account.

Having said all that, your target at 5m is probably close enough to the same level of difficulty that the differences aren't worth worrying about. Especially if your choices were 5m or 10m, you got it exactly right.

DocGKR
11-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Uh...print the 8" circle on one piece of paper and the 3x5" card on another piece of paper--then over lap them. That way you can use the correct size target shot at the correct distance...

fuse
11-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Uh...print the 8" circle on one piece of paper and the 3x5" card on another piece of paper--then over lap them. That way you can use the correct size target shot at the correct distance...

He's a doctor.

ToddG
11-02-2011, 10:27 AM

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/guinness_brilliant.jpg

Manu
11-05-2011, 08:45 AM
@Slavex
The problem is that moving further away from the target means enlarging the target areas proportionally - even with 7 yards, they barely fit on A4 and at 10 meters they would overlap on paper of the same size.
Hence the move down to 5 meters, which allows for reducing their size so they fit.

@ToddG
You are not the only one wishing for a unified measurement system ;-)

But could you explain what you mean by having to do less visual work at five meters than at seven yards? That's a concept I do not know about yet.

@everyone:
Here you go: http://www.tobiasprinz.biz/static/euro_fast_target.pdf - feel free to add it to the drills page.
Note: Border is 2mm and is supposed to be included in the measurement.

Any criticisms? Maybe I got something wrong after all.

Well done!

fuse
11-06-2011, 12:37 AM
I think I'll try this target at some point, for shits and gigs.

5 meters is about 16.4 feet, and my range happens to have a very precise (accurate to 1 foot) target system.

Tierlieb
09-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I cannot edit my old post: Due to my old provider managing to lose passwords and getting a bunch of servers hacked, the EURO-FAST needed to be moved:

http://ebbefestung.de/static/euro-fast.pdf - that's the download
http://ebbefestung.de/euro-fast.html - that's a German article about it.

Several people from the metric part of the world thanked me for making this (which was very surprising).
Since they can only have found it here, I assume it is okay to post in this old thread.