PDA

View Full Version : Week 165: Lightning And Thunder (CM 09-09)

Mr_White
05-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Week 165: Lightning And Thunder (CM 09-09)

Results may be posted until June 20th, 2016.

Designed by: US Nationals Design Team
Range: Varies, see below
Target: Three USPSA Metric targets, spaced one foot apart
Start Position: Loaded and holstered, hands relaxed at sides
Rounds Fired: 18

This week we are going to shoot a USPSA Classifier as the DotW. See the official written stage briefing here: http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/09-09.pdf

For purposes of the DotW, we may have some imprecision in placing your gear in the most appropriate Division, determining Major or Minor scoring, and possibly in your setup (if you have fixed target stands/rails that don't let you put the targets exactly the right distance apart, for example.) We are just doing this for the DotW, and no official USPSA score will result, so it's not a big deal if there is a little variation from official USPSA rules.

---

First, let's figure out your Division:

If your gun has a frame-mounted optic or a compensator, you are shooting Open. If your gun does not have a frame-mounted optic or a compensator, then you are shooting one of the other Divisions.

If your holster is forward of your hip, as with AIWB, you are shooting Limited (or Open, if you are shooting a Carry Optics gun from a holster forward of the hip.) If your holster is not forward of your hip, then you are shooting either Single Stack, Production, Carry Optics, or Revolver. Limited-10 is the same as Limited because there is no reload on the clock in this classifier.

If you are shooting a single action only gun, you are shooting Single Stack.

If you are shooting a revolver, you are shooting Revolver.

If you are shooting a double action or striker fired gun with iron sights, you are shooting Production. If you are shooting Production, then you are scored Minor regardless of your actual caliber or load.

If you are shooting a Production gun out of a Production-legal holster, but the gun has a slide-mounted optic, you are shooting Carry Optics. If you are shooting Carry Optics, then you are scored Minor regardless of your actual caliber or load.

---

For our scoring purposes, if you are shooting 9mm/.38Spl, then you are scored Minor. If you are shooting .357/.40/.45, then you are scored Major (unless you are shooting Production or Carry Optics, then you are still scored Minor.) Minor scoring is A = 5 points, B/C = 3 points, D = 1 point. Major scoring is A = 5 points, B/C = 4 points, D = 2 points. Misses are -10 points for both Major and Minor. Hits to No-Shoots are -10 points for both Major and Minor. Shots fully within the black area (hardcover) of the center target count as misses.

---

Stage Procedure:

Set timer to five seconds for all strings.

String 1: 25 yards - On start signal, draw and engage targets with only two rounds each.

String 2: 15 yards - On start signal, draw and engage targets with only one round each, make a mandatory reload, and reengage targets with only one round each.

String 3: 10 yards - On start signal, draw and engage targets with only two rounds each strong hand only.

This Classifier is Fixed Time. Extra shots, extra hits, and procedural errors receive a 10 point penalty each. Late shots receive a 5 point penalty each. There is a .3 second grace period in addition to the five second par time. Shots are considered late at 5.31 seconds. Shots are not late at 5.30 seconds.

---

Scoring:

Add up your points.

In this case, the total points you have on target (including penalties) is your Hit Factor. For example, if you have 50 points including penalties, your Hit Factor is 50.

Divide your hit factor by the 100% hit factor for your Division to get your percentage on this classifier. In this case, USPSA sets the high hit factor at 90 for ALL DIVISIONS.

95-100% = Grand Master
85-94.9% = Master
75-84.9% = A Class
60-74.9% = B Class
40-59.9% = C Class
Below 40% = D Class

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
Division
Total points
Hit factor (same as total points)
Percentage (your hit factor divided by the 100% hit factor for your Division)

An example:

You are shooting a G17 9mm handgun (no optic or compensator), carried in a strong side OWB holster. You are shooting Production Minor. You shoot all strings within the par time. You shoot a total of 50 points, and your hit factor is 50. Your percentage is 55.00% (your 50 hit factor/the high hit factor for all Divisions of 90.) You shot C class.

You would report:
G17, strong side OWB
Production
50 points
50 hit factor
55%

---

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

BehindBlueI's
05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Yeah...I was a dumpster fire on this one. I am definitely not used to set time drills. My first run I had almost a full second left on the first stage, and the whole time I was trying to get all my shots in under the time limit instead of getting solid hits. My indexing sucked and I was firing with a sight picture canted left on the first target and then getting a good sight picture on the 2nd, etc. It was a good drill for me as it made me go back and look at why I was screwing the pooch. I also never got a shot off after the reload, I just can't get a reload from concealment fast enough so after the first go I just took the opportunity to try for 3 good hits.

I shot my P226, which is DA/SA, so that makes me Production. .40S&W, but apparently irrelevant. Bladetech Eclipse IWB and Red Nichols OWB magazine carrier concealed under a polo (a departure from my normal sports coat)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20160520_133810_zpsczbmkntw.jpg

I'm not sure I'm scoring these right, and am assuming unfired shots don't count as misses.

My first run was 45 points.
My best run was 60 points.

So 60 / .90 = 66.7% or "B" class.

Side note, I went back and shot a single target with a 5 second par time because I knew I was indexing poorly and rushing the shots. I loaded a mag of 4 and shot this target:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20160520_134104_zpskhfuxicn.jpg

The last shot was 4.39. So, I think I'd be better served to forget trying to get all the shots under the time limit and make better hits even if I don't get to the 3rd target at all from the 25y.

Luke
05-20-2016, 07:08 PM
I shot two matches this week that had distance and SHO so I knew I was ready for this one lol

P320 GGI production rig
125gr blue bullets loaded long with 3.9gr of titegroup!

25 yard stage

4.50 seconds AC AA AC

15 yard stage

4.64 seconds AA AA AA

10 yard stage

3.61 seconds AC AC AC

if I added everything up right and did the match right this is 80 points, 80/.90= 88.888888

Master :cool:

So that means in a match this is a solid C classifier lol

GJM
05-20-2016, 09:28 PM
I shot this back in early April at a USPSA match. Carry Optics with the G19 MOS, 69/90 which was a 76.66, or low A.

olstyn
05-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Looks like late shots are absolutely worth taking, as -5 + points for a hit is WAY better than -10 for a miss if you run out of time and stop shooting. Can't get a GM score that way (85/90 = 94.4444%), but interesting to note that all A-zone hits with up to 2 late shots = Master.

GJM
05-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Looks like late shots are absolutely worth taking, as -5 + points for a hit is WAY better than -10 for a miss if you run out of time and stop shooting. Can't get a GM score that way (85/90 = 94.4444%), but interesting to note that all A-zone hits with up to 2 late shots = Master.

In this classifier, which is fixed time, there is no ten point penalty for a miss. Since you lose five points for each shot over time, extra shots don't help and may hurt.

olstyn
05-21-2016, 04:25 AM
In this classifier, which is fixed time, there is no ten point penalty for a miss. Since you lose five points for each shot over time, extra shots don't help and may hurt.

Thanks for the clarification; I don't think I've ever run into a fixed time classifier before, and apparently I missed that part of the scoring rules for them. Sorry for any confusion I caused anyone else reading the thread.

Mr_White
05-23-2016, 03:28 PM
I don't think I've ever run into a fixed time classifier before

I think maybe that's because everyone hates them. I certainly do. Unless the time happens to cater to a person's individual skill level, then it amounts to shooting at a completely artificial pace. Maybe that's supposed to be part of the challenge, I don't know. Hard for me, that's for sure.

And I lol @ USPSA setting the same HHF for all Divisions. Uh huh, sure, USPSA, you funny...

Clobbersaurus
05-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Beretta Elite II, Blade-Tech belt and OWB holster.

25 Yard String: 4.79 AA, AC, AC
15 Yard String: 6.03 AA, AC, AA (10 points penalty for over time)
10 Yard String: 4.70 AC, AC, AC

68/90 = 75.5. A Class

This was a fun and challenging drill. I only shot it once.

https://youtu.be/knP4R1l6wNk

backtrail540
05-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Gen 3 17, under a polo, Dark Star Gear AIWB, JM AIWB SPMP
Limited, minor
61 points
61 HF
67%
B class

Times - @25 - 4.13 @15 - 5.24 @10 - 4.05

Luke
05-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Clobb, you should have set your par time man! You could have saved yourself that 10 point penalty!

Edwin
05-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Looking at my history:

5/09/15 - 61.1111% - Low B Class. This was done with my Hi Power (Limited Minor) using a Blade-Tech holster, strong side OWB.
3/20/16 - 64.4444% - Low B Class. This was done with my Beretta 92 (Production) using my IDPA rig (Double Alpha double belt, BOSS offset and Blade-Tech holster).

olstyn
05-23-2016, 07:23 PM
And I lol @ USPSA setting the same HHF for all Divisions. Uh huh, sure, USPSA, you funny...

Indeed; seems like it's probably quite a bit more challenging to get a GM-level score in Production than in Open. That disparity of difficulty is probably a factor in why these aren't seen very often at matches, as well.

Clobbersaurus
05-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Clobb, you should have set your par time man! You could have saved yourself that 10 point penalty!

Yeah, I actually totally forgot there was a par until I started calculating my final score. I would have pressed harder on the middle string for sure if I had remembered the par....

cheby
05-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Shot it cold last night when I came to the range for a short practice.
CZ SP-01 Shadow Production rig
147gr Blue Bullets, 3.1 gr of Bullseye

78 points ( 6C)
86.67% - Master

mhall
05-26-2016, 11:52 AM
We shot this Classifier on Tuesday at the match.

Second stage of the night.
STI Edge
Limited Major
78 points
86.67%

That classifier will put me over 85% :D

cheshire_cat
06-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Glock 34 on CR Speed Belt
Division: Production
Total Points = 65 (I had 1 shot over the time limit on the 15 yard string...shot broke at 5.41 seconds)
Hit factor = 72%

cheshire_cat
06-03-2016, 12:41 PM
I meant the classification % was 72%, not the hit factor...

jdesro
06-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Equipment used: S&W M&P 9 Compact, JMCK AIWB
Division: Limited
Total points: 59
Hit factor 59
Percentage: 65.56% = B Class

I didn't score as I went along, just used total score at the end of all strings.

T1 = 4 A's, 1 C, 1 Miss
T2 = 1 A, 1 B (lucky miss), 3 C's, 1 D
T3 = 1 A, 4 C's, 1 D

No penalties

This was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be. I also video taped this, and I noticed that I really need to work on my draw - I used up a bit of valuable time just in the drawstroke - time that could have been used to get better hits.

jdesro
06-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Video of my attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYgXtMwGyb4

Range1
06-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Okay, get ready to laugh. The following score deserves it.

Equipment used: Gen 3 Glock 22 with 9mm conversion, CompTac OWB holster, range/hiking vest
Division: Production
Total points: 26
Hit factor (same as total points): 26
Percentage (your hit factor divided by the 100% hit factor for your Division): 28%

Got a lot of excuses for doing so poorly but only one that matters is I have not touched a pistol for dry or live fire since 5/14. Can’t do very well if you don’t practice and don’t have the natural abilities and I don’t. So my shooting sucked.

jiminycricket
06-19-2016, 10:59 PM
G19 Gen4 in an IWB Blade-Tec Phantom with no concealment.

Shot this cold a while ago. No excuse for the number of Deltas I got. Oh well. At least all the strings were under par.
11 A's, 4 C's, and 3 D's
Times: 4.12, 4.67, 3.37
70 pts for 77.77% for a low A class

Then this past Saturday, after shooting DoW #169 cold, I decided to give this drill another try. However I fumbled my reload and went over par on string #2.

11 A's, 6 C's, and 1 D
Times: 4.32, 5.39, 3.53
74 pts minus 5 for a total of 69 pts for 76.66% for an even lower A class