PDA

View Full Version : Advantages to NY1 Trigger spring/ "-" Connector in Glocks?

Nephrology
10-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Howdy-

Some time ago I came into possession of a "-" connector and an older NY1 trigger spring. I have tried that combination many times and never been quite persuaded.

Tonight, however, I noticed while dry firing with gloves (just got our first snow of the winter here in Connecticut... yeah, before halloween...) and noticed that I had a hard time with the standard glock trigger - the break was very uneven and rather abrupt. On a whim I swapped in the "-" connector and the NY1 trigger spring. Boom! presto chango, everything about it felt better.

I have been now dry firing this gun non stop for the past ~45 minutes or so and I am really falling for it. I rather impulsively bought 2 of the lone wolf "carry kits" that ave their aftermarket "-" connector and a NY1 trigger spring. It was only about 40 bucks with shipping all told, so as far as impulse buys I could have done worse, but now I am wondering what, if anything, people have noticed when transitioning from the stock Glock trigger to the NY1/"-" trigger.

I know Todd runs his Glocks like this and am fully aware that for some people this just isn't the ticket, but for those who do like it I am curious as to what if any advantages it has for YOU PERSONALLY. I ask because I suspect this *might* help me in reducing the amount of trigger slap that I engage in currently as I anticipate the shot. I understand that only training will truly remedy this, but I think having a longer more consistent pull might at the very least keep me from pulling my shots as I anticipate the breaks. So, with the full disclaimer being that I know that it is ME and NOT the gun, any thoughts?

JonInWA
10-30-2011, 08:56 AM
I've found that the -/NY1 combo gives me a crisp, rolling break and a more discernable reset point. It also provides a constant triggerpull from inception to break.

Best, Jon

JConn
10-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I found that once I got used to the added weight, the trigger characteristics made it worth it. The break and reset are more desirable for me. Oddly enough considering the conversation about da/sa guns this makes the Glock more similar to a one considering the long heavy consistent pull and short reset and subsequent pulls if you manage the trigger. I shoot it as well as light Glock triggers, so I use it for the added benefits and "safety" (i know this is debatable.)

YVK
10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
I've tried it and didn't get it. I didn't particularly feel that trigger was rolling vs crush/break and therefore couldn't explain to myself why I needed to deal with a 7+ lbs trigger. I use a negative connector and regular trigger spring that gives me a trigger pull in excess of 5 lbs. I found this to be the most shootable combo with a just-safe-enough trigger pull weight.

JV_
10-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I've tried it and didn't get it. I didn't particularly feel that trigger was rolling vs crush/break and therefore couldn't explain to myself why I needed to deal with a 7+ lbs trigger. I use a negative connector and regular trigger spring that gives me a trigger pull in excess of 5 lbs. I found this to be the most shootable combo with a just-safe-enough trigger pull weight.

Agreed.

LOKNLOD
10-30-2011, 01:25 PM

That pretty well sums up where I ended up as well. That said, it's been a while since I experimented with it and I've been shooting a P30 LEM for a while, I wonder if I would draw a different conclusion now.

fuse
10-30-2011, 02:10 PM

Wait. The minus used to be called the 3.5 connector, now its known (more accurately) as the 4.5 connector. And yours is over 5 lbs?

I wish I had a trigger pull scale, as i doubt my minus / standard coil spring setup is over 5 pounds due to the polish job I did on the internals. I used a cloth polishing wheel and dremeled them to a mirror shine. Smoooooth.

JV_
10-30-2011, 02:59 PM
And yours is over 5 lbs? All 6 of my Glocks have "-" connectors with pulls at or over 5#.

fuse
10-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Cool. Ive never measured. I bet mine aren't too far from 5 lbs, especially the dirty ones.

fuse
10-30-2011, 03:12 PM
And jconn, yours has to be + 7.5

YVK
10-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Wait. The minus used to be called the 3.5 connector, now its known (more accurately) as the 4.5 connector. And yours is over 5 lbs?

A negative connector, formerly known as 3.5 or 4.5, drops the trigger pull by 1 lbs comparing to a standard connector. It also makes a reset slightly less forceful, but I couldn't detect any difference in split times etc.
A 5.5 lbs stock trigger pull weight, as listed in specs on Glock's website, appears to be an urban myth. Most folks I know report 6.5 lbs with a regular connector for Gen3 pistols, and mine stayed about the same after a 5000 rounds trigger job.

JV_
10-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Cool. Ive never measured. I bet mine aren't too far from 5 lbs, especially the dirty ones.

FWIW: I measure mine from the middle of the trigger, I can believe that the tip is close to 4.5#.

JConn
10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
And jconn, yours has to be + 7.5

Works just fine, and does for plenty of good shooters.

David Armstrong
11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't use the "-" connector with my NY-1 trigger. I use the standard connector and the NY-1 on all my Glocks and prefer it for my shooting style.

Serpico1985
11-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Figure I would ask this in a thread already discussing the minus connector. Put a lwd minus in my gen 4 17 and noticed that manaully cycleing the slide is a little more difficult with the new connector. Its like its more difficult to get it out of battery but after the initial inch or so its a normal amount of resistance. Just noticed this dry firing. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Nephrology
11-05-2011, 11:53 AM

FWIW, upon getting my trigger packs from LWD I switched to the "-" connector and the stock trigger spring. I like the rolling break and it is indeed not too light to worry about. At least 4.5, probably closer to 5lb.

Shellback
11-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I just ordered the NY1 and "-" connector to experiment with. This was posted as being from the Glock armorer's manual and might help some people.

"-" connector/factory trigger spring ~ 4.5lb
"-" connector/NY1 trigger spring ~7.5lbs

Stock connector/factory trigger spring ~5.5lbs
Stock connector/NY1 trigger spring ~9lbs
Stock connector/NY2 trigger spring ~11lbs

Nephrology
11-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I just ordered the NY1 and "-" connector to experiment with. This was posted as being from the Glock armorer's manual and might help some people.

"-" connector/factory trigger spring ~ 4.5lb
"-" connector/NY1 trigger spring ~7.5lbs

Stock connector/factory trigger spring ~5.5lbs
Stock connector/NY1 trigger spring ~9lbs
Stock connector/NY2 trigger spring ~11lbs

Hehe, if you will notice I actually posted that chart for you ;)

I also left out the entry with the + connector as I have never ever heard of it being used but I can post that if you are curious...

Shellback
11-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Hehe, if you will notice I actually posted that chart for you ;)

I also left out the entry with the + connector as I have never ever heard of it being used but I can post that if you are curious...

Whoops! Asleep at the wheel ;)

4mykaren
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
From Glockparts.com

"SP07405

The 8lb New York trigger spring that gives constant takeup pressure on the trigger pull and provides a quicker trigger reset than the standard spring. It is also a more reliable spring than the coil spring. I have never seen one fail, contrary to the coil spring which does fail eventually. Use only with the 3.5lb or 5.5lb connector, not the 8lb connector."

jlw
08-25-2012, 01:51 AM
I have tried the minus/NY combo in two different pistols, and I didn't leave the setup in either long.

Nephrology
08-25-2012, 06:18 AM
for what it's worth, it's been in all of my glocks for some time now, and I prefer it.

JBP55
08-25-2012, 04:32 PM
I have tried the minus/NY combo in two different pistols, and I didn't leave the setup in either long.

I agree, I do not like Glocks with 7# plus triggers.

Jared
08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Okay, so for someone like myself, a bit of a statistical oddball, that likes the long DA pull on a Beretta 92, SIG P-Series, v3 HK P30, would the "-" connector and NY-1 be a good idea, or just more of a heavier Glock trigger. The big problem that I have historically had with all striker pistols is that I could not get over the urge to snatch the trigger when the sights were perfect vs. letting them wobble and adding pressure as long as they were acceptable. I don't have as much trouble with this on a DA/SA gun.

On the other hand, I've learned a lot more about shooting since the last time I gave a Glock an honest shake-out, and may not be as prone to this as I was 2 years ago. Lord knows I don't wanna turn into a SIMP, but there's so much support there for Glock, it's hard not to give it a look and wonder.

JonInWA
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I have a DAO Beretta 92D which I've used fairly extensively in the past couple of years (actually a bit more than I planned/anticipated, but that's another story, and nothing against the 92D or Glocks {which are my personal preference, and what I shoot the best}); I generally prefer the NY1/minus connector combination on my Glocks, but there's still a HUGE difference between a Glock with any trigger/spring combo and a Beretta (and/or most other traditional DA/SA/DAO autopistols), both action-wise and ergonomic-wise.

I'd suggest experimenting on your Glock, and go with whichever you do best with.

Best, Jon

Jared
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I have a DAO Beretta 92D which I've used fairly extensively in the past couple of years (actually a bit more than I planned/anticipated, but that's another story, and nothing against the 92D or Glocks {which are my personal preference, and what I shoot the best}); I generally prefer the NY1/minus connector combination on my Glocks, but there's still a HUGE difference between a Glock with any trigger/spring combo and a Beretta (and/or most other traditional DA/SA/DAO autopistols), both action-wise and ergonomic-wise.

I'd suggest experimenting on your Glock, and go with whichever you do best with.

Best, Jon

That answers my question pretty well, I don't have a Glock at present, I'd heard about the combo before and wondered if it gave a more DAO type action, but I guess it's not as close as I'd hoped. Thank you.

Dave J
08-28-2012, 12:23 AM
If and when you do find yourself in possession of a Glock, definitely give it a try. It costs a whopping $12 for the parts, or $27-ish if you use a genuine Glock connector instead of aftermarket.

I've also used the Beretta 92 quite a bit, and CCW a Kahr P9, which feels like a DAO. I definitely prefer the "-"/NY1 in my GenII & III Glocks, even though I'm pretty certain I'll never mistake it for a hammer fired DAO.

HTH,
Dave

Savage Hands
08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
All 6 of my Glocks have "-" connectors with pulls at or over 5#.

I believe it! my Gen 4 G19 with the "." connector and everything polished up is still just under 6 pounds which a "-'' may drop a half pound from where I'm at right now.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
I've been using the NY-1/3.5# trigger, but I've been looking at going back to the standard trigger, or standard trigger/3.5 connector.

Has anyone used the standard/3.5# trigger? Is so, how did you like it?

JonInWA
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I've been using the NY-1/3.5# trigger, but I've been looking at going back to the standard trigger, or standard trigger/3.5 connector.

I've installed the "dot" connector in a Gen 3 G19 and a Gen 3 G21, and am using the coil spring with both. In the G19, I'm using the older Gen 3 triggerbar (i.e., the one without the dogleg extension with the grooved channel at the coil spring attachment point) and I've had exceptionally good results. The G21 has had good results also (better than with the standard connector), just not quite as noticable as they were immediately with the G19 (but the G21 triggerpull is lightening with use-things seemed to have kicked in at the 500 round point on the dot connector).

I'm running the standard connector with the standard coil spring on my G17, which has (and always has, right out of the box) an absolutely superb triggerpull-a serendipitous combination of components meshing together from the onset (aided by proper lubrication, of course)-I'm not screwing with it at all.

Quite simply, I found that with Glocks there's variations that exist from gun to gun/component to component, and you simply adjust or replace as needed to get desired results.

Best, Jon

Mr_White
08-28-2012, 05:08 PM

I've used most of the major combinations of OEM Glock trigger parts (standard spring, NY1 spring, NY2 spring, minus, dot, and standard connectors.) The last couple of years I have pretty much stuck with the standard spring and minus connector. I shoot it the best of the lot.

Quite simply, I found that with Glocks there's variations that exist from gun to gun/component to component, and you simply adjust or replace as needed to get desired results.

I've found this to be true as well.