PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 SP01 Phantom opinions ...

JPedersen
05-17-2016, 06:18 PM
I am a newer poster - so thank you for your input. I have been interested in trying the CZ platform. A LGS has a new SP01 phantom and I REALLY like the grip width and reach but have heard of problems with the polymer CZs. Does anyone have an informed opinion on this pistol ? Can I achieve the same grip width with the slim aluminum grip panels on a standard SP01? I have heard that the decocker triggers are inferior to the ones with a safety.... Is this true? I appreciate any direction or input you can share. (I tried the search function and didn't see what I was looking fro but if I missed it please forgive me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke
05-17-2016, 08:28 PM
I had one and loved it. This was prior to PF or any real knowledge on guns. So take that for what it's worth. Trigger was good too.

scw2
05-17-2016, 08:36 PM
I was talking with JoshS today and he mentioned that most people use the safety versions since it's easier to work on the internals than the decocker version, so that's why most people run the safety version. If you go with the safety version and are not running the gun cocked and locked, then you'll have to manually decock. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks on the forum can chime in and help you out.

Smitty79
05-17-2016, 09:12 PM
I shoot an SP-01 in USPSA. Manual decocking, at the range, is fine. I don't like doing it at home. I have a P-07 and love it for defense. The omega trigger allows safety or decocker. I prefer decocker. The full size version is a P-09. So accurate that people use it for Bullseye.

The Phantom has a good rep in the CZ community. It's a developmental dead end.

Wheeler
05-17-2016, 09:50 PM
I shoot an SP-01 in USPSA. Manual decocking, at the range, is fine. I don't like doing it at home. I have a P-07 and love it for defense. The omega trigger allows safety or decocker. I prefer decocker. The full size version is a P-09. So accurate that people use it for Bullseye.

The Phantom has a good rep in the CZ community. It's a developmental dead end.

What do you mean by "developmental dead end?"

JPedersen
05-17-2016, 09:56 PM
When I handled the P-09 - it did not seem as sleek or slim. I asked the store owner re: grip panels etc. and he was not able to help. If indeed the P-09 is the new iteration its ergo's are quite different. I second the question re: "developmental dead end".

Smitty79
05-18-2016, 03:49 PM
It is a developmental dead end because it was discontinued without an evolutionary replacement.

JTQ
05-19-2016, 07:23 AM
It is a developmental dead end because it was discontinued without an evolutionary replacement.
In addition, it wasn't around for very long, and wasn't terribly popular (though I think it was a fine gun), so there are not a lot of holster options either.

A LGS has a new SP01 phantom and I REALLY like the grip width and reach but have heard of problems with the polymer CZs.

Are you sure it's new? I believe they've been out of production for a few years by now.

CZ's current line-up http://cz-usa.com/product-category/handguns/

Smitty79
05-19-2016, 09:11 PM
I think the were last produced in 2014. They were still on the CZ-USA web site 2 years ago.

If you like the gun, buy it. I own 4 CZs, including a plastic framed model. CZ hasn't made a crap model this century. The only down side is after market stuff.

Kennydale
05-19-2016, 09:28 PM
I have tried to love and master a DA/SA (and still think I'd like a CZ P07) I had a Police Used Sig P239 in .40S&W but could not get anywhere near what I can do with my G17 or G19. I sold the P239 to a retiring Corrections Officer. We were both happy campers.
Guess i am a Striker Fired Snob !

JPedersen
05-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Thank you for the feedback. The one locally is an NOS that they have. They are (purportedly) a high volume dealer ... And had one from a distributor.

EDCzechnology
05-22-2016, 12:06 AM
From what I understand the SP01 Phantoms on the US market currently are overruns from the Czech Military contracts. They are still in production however once the contracts are fulfilled they will dry up. The P09 is very comparable to the Phantom, I carry mine everyday AIWB with 6k rds downrange with no issues. 19+1 cap/omega trigger/decocker/safety/sub 500 brand new. IMHO there isn't a manufacturer out there putting this amount of quality on the market for the price. Unless your hands are blocks you will love the ergonomics. Good luck!