PDA

View Full Version : Hands hurting with grip tape!

Luke
05-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Didn't kniw Where to post this, but figured gamers would use grip tape more than normal carry guns.

I have an alma grip job, it's the 40/70 (or something close) grit job he does. Basically it's like a fresh piece of talon or springer grip tape all the time. My hands are killing me, mostly my strong hand ring and middle fanga. This isn't the normal case of "keep using it you will get calluses". This is my calluses hurt post :( I work with my hands so have good tough hands, nothing crazy but I'll never be mistaken for a desk jockey after a handshake.

It's the part of the strong hand ring finger were a ring would ride, that's my main hot spot. It's like it pushes the callous over and stretches the skin in the joint making it painful. I've been using as much lotion as I can but its not helping. Anybody have any suggestions? Or is this a job for the local nail technician:)

VolGrad
05-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Get the rubber ones ....

http://talongungrips.com/grips/

Luke
05-16-2016, 08:29 PM
No thanks. I want the rough texture. Just need to fix my hands. Plus this is permanent to the grip. Alma (team sig) does the grip jobs.

VolGrad
05-16-2016, 08:32 PM
No thanks. I want the rough texture. Just need to fix my hands. Plus this is permanent to the grip. Alma (team sig) does the grip jobs.

I probably should read more carefully. :p

CCT125US
05-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Get the rubber ones ....

http://talongungrips.com/grips/

My official review is as follows:

Avoid

1slow
05-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Didn't kniw Where to post this, but figured gamers would use grip tape more than normal carry guns.

I have an alma grip job, it's the 40/70 (or something close) grit job he does. Basically it's like a fresh piece of talon or springer grip tape all the time. My hands are killing me, mostly my strong hand ring and middle fanga. This isn't the normal case of "keep using it you will get calluses". This is my calluses hurt post :( I work with my hands so have good tough hands, nothing crazy but I'll never be mistaken for a desk jockey after a handshake.

It's the part of the strong hand ring finger were a ring would ride, that's my main hot spot. It's like it pushes the callous over and stretches the skin in the joint making it painful. I've been using as much lotion as I can but its not helping. Anybody have any suggestions? Or is this a job for the local nail technician:)

Sometimes if your callouses build up too thick the thickness provides leverage to tear the underlying skin. I have sanded down a few.

HCM
05-17-2016, 12:44 AM
If I understand Alams grip jobs he adds grit to the grip rather than stippling so I'm guessing sanding down wouldn't help.

Try this, go to Walmart, buy a bike inner tube - cut a grip sized length and slip it over your grip. This was a staple for cops with Glocks before stippling or fingergrooves.

Luke
05-17-2016, 04:29 AM
1slow I think this is what needs to happen. Gonna figure out what to use next!

1slow
05-17-2016, 09:31 AM
1slow I think this is what needs to happen. Gonna figure out what to use next!

Hope this is of some help.

When I was doing Dan John's 10,000 Swing Kettlebell Challenge (500 swings each of 20 workouts), I had to trim callouses. Currently doing deadlift, DB rows as part of my workout this seems to help keep some callous. I try to keep some callous but not let it get too thick.

The times I was at Rogers Shooting School I was running GL17s with 3M stair tape. It took a while for my hands to harden to it. Lots of daily dry fire draws help keep callouses in place.

I notice that my shooting hand ring finger, little finger get callouses a lot from being crushed into the grip by my strong hand.

Soaking my hands in brine when freshly abraded seems to help as well as nightly treating them with Tuf-Foot. Used brine a lot when I was doing a lot more impact training 20 years ago. It seemed to help. Tuf-Foot was mentioned on a website about foot conditioning, seemed to help my hands.

GJM
05-17-2016, 09:38 AM
I have a Canyon Creek XDM with this kind of grip.

Despite having hands toughened by the sharp VZ grips on my CZ pistols, I never could get used to it pinching enough to hurt in certain places.

GJM
05-17-2016, 09:39 AM
One more thought -- can you take some sand paper or other abrasive to the offending part and smooth it down?

taadski
05-17-2016, 09:53 AM
I don't get enough callous buildup to be an issue from shooting. I guess I don't grip the gun hard enough. :( But I do get em from the Crossfit gym and from barbell work in general. If I don't shave them bi-monthly or so, they tear leaving giant flappers. Which is distinctly unpleasant.

Some folks use pumice stone or the like. But given how thick they get on my hands, I just use a normal disposable shaving razor in the shower. It's pretty quick and easy and painless. Unless you wifey realizes you're using her leg razor for your hands. Then it gets painful. ;). A bunch of the gymnastic athletes at our gym turned me onto the idea. It works well.

Doge
05-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Might want to try Pistol Liquid Pro Grip on a standard grip frame module. I noticed products like this and liquid grip are a lot more effective on Polymer guns. My USPSA Single Stack is wearing Aggressive Sunburst Grips and used to wear VZ Diamondbacks while my G19 has an RTF frame which is as rough as I'd want. As for skate tape or grip tape I typically put them on the front strap if a gun does not have adequate fronts trap checkering and spots where my palm contacts the gun.

BobLoblaw
05-17-2016, 12:23 PM
I'll add to the "trim the callous" bandwagon. A callous mountain ends with a flapper so don't let it get too big. I've experienced similar issues while rowing and rock climbing. The pads below the middle and ring finger were usually the casualties.

Clusterfrack
05-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Try liquid band aid

Luke
05-17-2016, 04:21 PM
I tried to cut a little off with a razor blade. Very nervous feeling lol but it feels Bette already. Gonna try the shaving razor soon.

Sal Picante
05-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Have you tried filing your calluses down a bit? I do that, as lame as it sounds, because it keeps them from rolling over and hurting...

Luke
05-17-2016, 04:31 PM
In planning on it. I had no idea about the sanding and shaving.

taadski
05-17-2016, 04:57 PM
In planning on it. I had no idea about the sanding and shaving.

LOL. The commitment runs deep.

Alma
05-18-2016, 06:21 AM
Just imagine if you would have got the aggressive grip treatment...
You have a few options. If you have particular areas that are bothering you then you could chip some material away. Better yet, Bruce Gray mentioned applying some clear adhesive on the area in question to smooth it out without dramatically changing the look of the grips.
Personally, I keep some medical tape handy for long dry fire sessions. If there is an area that starts to wear to the point that it's bothering me then I will put a bit of medical tape on my hands before it becomes a blister.
Your hands do toughen up with use and the grip itself also gets slightly less sharp even though overall it maintains its texture far better and longer than grip tape and similar.
Another option for the future would be to just change where the grit is applied. For a smaller number of shooters I just run a patch of grit on the support side of the gun and leave the factory texturing more or less alone.
Good luck!

Luke
05-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the reply alma. I love the grip and definitely do not plan to alter it in any way. If anything I want to try the rougher one. The issue isn't Titty skin or blisters, it was my calluses were doing funny things. Shaved the one that was bothering me and shot 300 rounds last night and my hand feels fine. I think I did a poor job of wording what was happening, a lot of people have thought it was too rough and that's what was hurting.

Sal Picante
05-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply alma. I love the grip and definitely do not plan to alter it in any way. If anything I want to try the rougher one. The issue isn't Titty skin or blisters, it was my calluses were doing funny things. Shaved the one that was bothering me and shot 300 rounds last night and my hand feels fine. I think I did a poor job of wording what was happening, a lot of people have thought it was too rough and that's what was hurting.

It helps... Right?

Kennydale
05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Bought a set of Granulated Talon for my G17.... Lasted 3 hours (Range trip) . Ripped them off and threw them in trash (Like handling sandpaper). Bought Rubberized , LOVE THEM !

Luke
05-19-2016, 08:47 PM
It helps... Right?

So far so good. Shaved that sucker down and have been hitting the lotion extra hard lol

45dotACP
05-19-2016, 08:56 PM
I wash/sanitize my hands about three zillion times a day so in spite of about 3 days a week at the gym, I have girly hands...which explains why I don't like 20lpi checkering :)

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Luke
05-19-2016, 10:04 PM
I wash/sanitize my hands about three zillion times a day so in spite of about 3 days a week at the gym, I have girly hands...which explains why I don't like 20lpi checkering :)

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

I'm polar opposite. I try my hardest to not wash my hands during the day. It always happens atleast twice.

45dotACP
05-19-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm polar opposite. I try my hardest to not wash my hands during the day. It always happens atleast twice.
Lol, I'm not a germaphobe...it's more of an occupational requirement (wounds full of MRSA, C. Difficile, VRE, TB, heavy trach secretions and open abdominal wounds are all things I get my hands in and around)

...but I tend to like rubber grips because of mah girly hands [emoji1]

Luke
05-20-2016, 04:31 AM
Yea I knew you were a *insert medical name here*. I'm a doctor as well, my patients are just a little different than yours lol.

pointfiveoh
12-01-2016, 05:42 PM
If you're brave and in a hurry, a battery powered dremel with a sanding drum can knock them down pretty easily as well.

txdpd
12-02-2016, 12:59 AM
I soak my hands in epsom salt and warm water for 20 minutes before shaving calluses with a pedegg.

I used to trim calluses with a razor blade, but now I just work them a couple times a week with the pedegg.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedicure-Foot-File-Colors-vary/dp/B00113FENI/ref=pd_sim_194_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00113FENI&pd_rd_r=VAXV9BR4TG5VC406QXZW&pd_rd_w=04RCh&pd_rd_wg=XrETy&psc=1&refRID=VAXV9BR4TG5VC406QXZW

JHC
12-02-2016, 09:02 AM
didn't realize date of OP