PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226?

dsa
10-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a chance to pick up a LNIB P226 from a friend; it belonged to his father-in-law who recently passed. He says it looks new and was purchased new by his deceased father-in-law 15-20 years ago. Is there anything to look out for or stay away from? The first few digits of the serial number are U519XXX. They seem to go for around $550 or so on gunbroker. Going to check it out later today. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Mitchell, Esq.
10-29-2011, 06:13 PM
i have a chance to pick up a lnib p226 from a friend; it belonged to his father-in-law who recently passed. He says it looks new and was purchased new by his deceased father-in-law 15-20 years ago. Is there anything to look out for or stay away from? The first few digits of the serial number are u519xxx. They seem to go for around $550 or so on gunbroker. Going to check it out later today. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

jump on it.

jslaker
10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
jump on it.

Seconded. If you've got the cash, there are few duty 9mm guns on the same level as the 226.

dsa
10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I bought it! Screaming deal. No wear at all on the frame rails. It looks like it has never been in a holster. It appears to be a very low round count weapon. The only down side to it is that it does not have night sights and only two magazines. I will try to post some pics tomorrow when I get off work.

DonovanM
10-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I bought it! Screaming deal. No wear at all on the frame rails. It looks like it has never been in a holster. It appears to be a very low round count weapon. The only down side to it is that it does not have night sights and only two magazines. I will try to post some pics tomorrow when I get off work.

Two things that are easily remedied! Nice pickup.

John Hearne
10-29-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't know the serial number range but Sig thinned the frame rails to help the pistol perform better in the mud as a result of the 9mm military trials. Those thinned rail frames should be avoided. If it isn't one of those guns, I'd grab it.

dsa
10-29-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't know the serial number range but Sig thinned the frame rails to help the pistol perform better in the mud as a result of the 9mm military trials. Those thinned rail frames should be avoided. If it isn't one of those guns, I'd grab it.

This one was made in '94. The thinned rails were in the late '80's according to the stuff I found on the Sig forums. I am looking forward to shooting it tomorrow.

Joe Mamma
10-30-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm late to this thread, but congratulations. That's a great gun. A lot of Sig people (myself included) love P226s built in that time frame.

Also, I think all brand new Sigs during that time frame were test fired. A brand new one may look like "a very low round count" gun as you describe. Yours may be brand new.

I assume your grips are the plastic checkered style. I really like those.

Joe Mamma

bronicabill
11-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a JG (1986) date coded P226 with the scalloped "mud rails" on it. Got it a year or so ago in a trade for an SP2340 that I didn't like. The 226 had a grand total of 50 rounds through it since new when I got it; has quite a few more now! :)

While some have warned against the "mud rail" variants, I recognize the potential weakness and only run standard pressure loads in mine with well-greased rails, so I'm really not worried about it.

$550.00 for a "like new" P226 is an awesome price! I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat, and I'm glad to see you did!