PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR22 or Walther P22?

fauxpa46
05-16-2016, 04:41 PM
This is only for those who own/have owned BOTH the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22 -

Which do/did you like the most? Pros and cons of each would be very helpful. Thank you.

LSP972
05-17-2016, 09:09 AM
The SR22 has a metal frame, but I haven't worked with one enough to know if the internal pieces/parts are better metal, last longer, etc.

OTOH, the P22 is, bottom line, a disposable pistol. The polymer frame is good, and the barrel is steel, but everything else is pot metal... including the slide. That said, its a decent little pistol that will shoot well (and a lot) if a bit of tuning/polishing is done to the action pieces/parts, AND one uses quality high velocity ammunition. I have two P22s, and both have had several thousand rounds of CCI Mini-Mag with very few malfunctions. Particularly, the newer magazines have a slot cut in the upper end of the tube to prevent rim stacking.

I'll try to find again, and note it, the work one can do to improve the pieces/parts on the weapon. It takes some time, but it is definitely worthwhile.

LSP972
05-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Okay, here on RimFireCentral is where I'm talking about. There are three major threads that have detailed photos of disassembly/assembly; here is the most detailed one:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100723

Somewhere in that section, is this fellow's long thread about how to smooth and fit/finish the internal parts that come rather rough and unpolished. Lots of details, lots of work, but it makes a smooth, accurate, and reliable little .22 pistol that will last many thousands of rounds.

I realize that most folks will not be willing to do much of this, for whatever reason... but I did it, and both of my grandsons tried to wear both of those pistols out. Nope, they are still "running", still reliable, and still fun to shoot. Each one has had in excess of 5K rounds through them, and both still work fine. They need to be cleaned and re-lubed every 500 rounds or so, however.

Some have said the SR22 is a "better" pistol; against a new and/or un-polished P22, I'll agree with that. So if you just want to buy one and shoot/play, I would imagine the SR22 is a better deal.

gwgw60
05-17-2016, 12:17 PM
I have both pistols. They are both fun to shoot. But the SR22 is easier to reassemble. The recoil spring in the P22 can be difficult to get in place and compress.

LSP972
05-17-2016, 12:46 PM
The recoil spring in the P22 can be difficult to get in place and compress.

You need to place that polymer cylinder (it comes in the box) inside the spring to keep the spring from kinking. There is a photo of that in the thread I linked to.

RJ
03-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Sorry for necropost.

I have a Gen 5 Glock 19 that I use for USPSA. I am pondering using 22 as a means of cheaper live fire practice. And also to remove the constant pounding my shoulder gets from shooting 9mm.

Would either of these pistols be useful as a 22 understudy for a Glock 19.5?

I am considering this against the Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit, which I don't seem to be able to locate for sale.

RJ
03-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Probably worth waiting 7 or 8 weeks until NRAAM and seeing if we find out what the G44 is and if it’s a .22. :)

Uhhhhh..wat?! A GLOCK .22?!

Holy smokes.

Yes, I can wait. Thanks Tom.

john c
03-06-2019, 04:35 AM
Sorry for necropost.

I have a Gen 5 Glock 19 that I use for USPSA. I am pondering using 22 as a means of cheaper live fire practice. And also to remove the constant pounding my shoulder gets from shooting 9mm.

Would either of these pistols be useful as a 22 understudy for a Glock 19.5?

I am considering this against the Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit, which I don't seem to be able to locate for sale.

I agree with Tom's advice on waiting for the NRA convention.

I also want to add that I've owned several AACKs, and all of them were disappointing. The accuracy and reliability just weren't there. This is in contrast to their 1911 kits.

I think the S&W M&P 22 is an excellent pistol, much better than either the Walther P22 or Ruger SR22. The M&P is Glock-like enough for training.

RJ
03-06-2019, 05:29 AM
I agree with Tom's advice on waiting for the NRA convention.

I also want to add that I've owned several AACKs, and all of them were disappointing. The accuracy and reliability just weren't there. This is in contrast to their 1911 kits.

I think the S&W M&P 22 is an excellent pistol, much better than either the Walther P22 or Ruger SR22. The M&P is Glock-like enough for training.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yup I was eyeing an M&P 22 as well.

But a Glock obviously makes sense in my case, so I’ll take a look if/when something comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk