PDA

View Full Version : S&W m&p 9 verdict on apex barrel?

TheBigCountry
05-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Hi all, excellent forum here with tons of info. I love it so far.

I've done a search and I have found some threads on the apex barrel for the m&p, but I couldn't really find a final verdict on them before I go ahead and buy one. I also read that some were having feeding problems.

I've been taking training courses and my skills are improving to where I "think" they are beyond what my current m&p 9 can shoot, especially out to 25 yards. It's so inconsistent with groups, and ammo. I have an apex trigger which is great, 4 ten round magazines, and tried to sell it with no luck. So I'm at the point of do I invest in the barrel or just move to a different platform ( Glock 19 or ppq ).

Thanks for any info

HopetonBrown
05-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Let us know what year your gat was born and what your 25 yard scores are on B8 targets, it'll give us an idea if you can currently outshoot your M&P.

You can print some up here (https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281&d=1322428748).

TheBigCountry
05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
What I really meant by outshoot the mp was I'd like to have the confidence in the pistol so I know that a random flyer is me and not the gun. I believe the year is a 2009. Even when I bench shoot it at 25 yards I mostly get 5" groupings, sometimes bigger from flyers. Not saying I can shoot 2" groups, but that doesn't mean I don't want my pistol to be able to. If the apex barrel can actually get 2" groups from a rest than I'll know all the rest is on me and my skill. Thanks for the reply

Lomshek
05-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Here's a post by Molon on arfcom (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/168493_MandP_FS_barrel_question.html&page=1#i1857236)

Luke
05-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Here's a post by Molon on arfcom (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/168493_MandP_FS_barrel_question.html&page=1#i1857236)

Under an inch at 50 yards! I suddenly my miss my M&P lol

Lomshek
05-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Under an inch at 50 yards! I suddenly my miss my M&P lol

I'm a little frustrated as Apex isn't accepting new work right now and my full size will sometimes group under 8" at 25 yards and I can do 4" with my Shield. :confused:

Holmes375
05-16-2016, 11:27 PM
I'm a little frustrated as Apex isn't accepting new work right now and my full size will sometimes group under 8" at 25 yards and I can do 4" with my Shield. :confused:

If you're handy at all with metal work you could probably fit one of their semi drop in barrels yourself. Most users report excellent results.

RJ
05-17-2016, 12:18 AM
So I'm at the point of do I invest in the barrel or just move to a different platform ( Glock 19 or ppq ).

Thanks for any info

I get where you are coming from. It is pretty frustrating to buy an American-made pistol with great ergonomics, only to discover you have to invest in significant changes in the sear, striker block, trigger, barrell etc. just to get it to achieve accuracy and smoothness.

I have a 2013 M&P FS9 with an Apex trigger. I gave up on it and just bought a VP9. The FS9 sits in the safe; I'll be selling it this fall.

IMHO, a Sig P320, HK VP9 or Walther PPQ make a much better alternative than a FS9.

spinmove_
05-17-2016, 08:18 AM
I had an M&P9 FS of about 2014/2015 vintage. I was able to shoot better 25yd groups with other pistols that I wasn't nearly as familiar with. Discovered the 16 flaming hoops that I would have had to jump through to get it on par with where it should be. Sold it and went back to a G19. Haven't looked back since.

TheBigCountry
05-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I checked out the arfcom link and it looks like the apex barrel does fix the issue. I guess it's really a matter of whether or not to keep investing in the pistol. I think I'm in the same boat as many others in that I'm already too invested not to fix the accuracy. I also own a mp9c as my training class back up gun and hope to add a shield too. Thanks again to all for the help.

Lomshek
05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
If you're handy at all with metal work you could probably fit one of their semi drop in barrels yourself. Most users report excellent results.

I am and have an hobby mill that I sort of know how to work (a machinist I am not). I'd just like to see what the best possible job can do and know a perfect gunsmith fit is beyond me.

Probably going to crack and get the SDI and do it myself soon.

TheBigCountry
05-17-2016, 11:35 AM
I am and have an hobby mill that I sort of know how to work (a machinist I am not). I'd just like to see what the best possible job can do and know a perfect gunsmith fit is beyond me.

Probably going to crack and get the SDI and do it myself soon.

My fear is if my pistol falls into the 10% that aren't helped by the sdi barrel because the tolerances are too great and it really needed the gunsmith barrel. Than I just wasted $200 on a barrel. It's tough to find a local gunsmith to do good work too since apex isn't taking new work on.

Luke
05-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Your over thinking this dude. You could what if it to death! If you are getting 5" groups at 25 yards I'd bet money that yours isn't too far out for the semi drop in.

HopetonBrown
05-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Have you shot any of your other guns at 25 to see if you could do better with them than the M&P?

richiecotite
05-17-2016, 03:41 PM
So I'm at the point of do I invest in the barrel or just move to a different platform ( Glock 19 or ppq ).

Thanks for any info

I'm with you; I was at the point a few months ago where I was ready to sell and try something else. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to get back anything close to what I put in as used M&P's in great shape sell for less than 75%; my ugly FS would probably bring much less than that.

I decided to do both. For the last 2 months I've been messing with HK's; a p2000 LEM, a p2000sk v3, and a VP9. I still have the sk and VP9. But I also noted with the M&P the Trijicon HD's weren't really working for me, so I ordered a set of 10-8's (.140 reat and .125 tritium front).

From my limited, poor experience shooting 25 yds with both guns, I can shoot the VP9 for about 5-6" 10 shot groups off hand, usually with 1 flyer (that are usually called) and I shoot the M&P around 6-8" groups, with 2 (or sometimes 3) flyers.

Eventually, I'ma just trick the M&P out with some slide serrations, an Apex barrel, and grip stipple.

If I were you, I would go with the gunsmith fit version and drop it off to someone that has a good reputation. With shipping to and from apex for barrel fitting (if they were accepting work) it'd cost well over 400 beans. Of course, you'd have a 1 or 2" gun, but thats almost the cost of another pistol, and would make switching platforms hurt a little less.

TheBigCountry
05-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Have you shot any of your other guns at 25 to see if you could do better with them than the M&P?

I shoot my mp9c better than the full size, and a sig p320 much better than both. It's mostly the inconsistency that bothers me.

TheBigCountry
05-17-2016, 06:23 PM
I'm with you; I was at the point a few months ago where I was ready to sell and try something else. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to get back anything close to what I put in as used M&P's in great shape sell for less than 75%; my ugly FS would probably bring much less than that.

I decided to do both. For the last 2 months I've been messing with HK's; a p2000 LEM, a p2000sk v3, and a VP9. I still have the sk and VP9. But I also noted with the M&P the Trijicon HD's weren't really working for me, so I ordered a set of 10-8's (.140 reat and .125 tritium front).

From my limited, poor experience shooting 25 yds with both guns, I can shoot the VP9 for about 5-6" 10 shot groups off hand, usually with 1 flyer (that are usually called) and I shoot the M&P around 6-8" groups, with 2 (or sometimes 3) flyers.

Eventually, I'ma just trick the M&P out with some slide serrations, an Apex barrel, and grip stipple.

If I were you, I would go with the gunsmith fit version and drop it off to someone that has a good reputation. With shipping to and from apex for barrel fitting (if they were accepting work) it'd cost well over 400 beans. Of course, you'd have a 1 or 2" gun, but thats almost the cost of another pistol, and would make switching platforms hurt a little less.

I hear you, there's different ways to look at it and I seem to change my mind everyday! I think I'll go with The Big Lebowskis buddy Walter's advice and, f-it dude, let's just go shooting.

GAP
05-17-2016, 08:26 PM
I shoot my mp9c better than the full size, and a sig p320 much better than both. It's mostly the inconsistency that bothers me.

If that's the case why not use/carry the 9c or p320?

TheBigCountry
05-18-2016, 05:41 AM
If that's the case why not use/carry the 9c or p320?

The 320 is just a friends, and I'd be fine just using the compact. I just hate to leave the full size sitting in the safe, I would sell it but tried a few times with no luck. The 10 round mags really limit the value I believe since most don't need them.

TheBigCountry
05-19-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm going to try the sdi apex barrel, just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Savage Hands
05-19-2016, 08:51 PM
If I still owned M&P's I'd buy this barrel as I'd prefer to improve the mechanical precision and consistency, instead of wondering if the thrown shot was myself or the gun. If they ever release the Glock barrels I'll send one to get fitted to compare against the pretty well fitted Gen 4 barrels that most already group pretty well at 25yds. From there I'll test that gun for reliability as well as how it groups.