PDA

View Full Version : How many A's should we shoot?

Luke
05-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Please don't say all of them.

I feel like that is the answer though lol. What does everyone find acceptable or what does everybody shoot for. I'm guessing there's no magic number.. But if you shot 100 A's would you be ok with 20 C's? 10? None?
Is it skill level dependent? Obviously I try for all A's but that doesn't happen. Is all A's unrealistic while still being fast unless your super squad? Is there anyway to find out what the super squads are shooting?

Luke
05-14-2016, 10:13 PM
Practiscore is so weird. Some matches you can see hits and some you don't. Couldn't find anything from nationals but found this from area 6.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/F075AED7-ABF3-4E83-AA2B-7B8A9FC98AF0_zpsnfktqajw.png (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/F075AED7-ABF3-4E83-AA2B-7B8A9FC98AF0_zpsnfktqajw.png.html)

Looks roughly 20% C's. I know because of how we score in uspsa you can't simply say shoot 20% C's and the rest A's, time is also somewhat important :)

Does that mean even the top of the top take some C's every time? Do you think it was a situation where time was better spent flinging a C vs taking the time for an A, or is any C simply a missed A?

Mr_White
05-14-2016, 10:18 PM
You should shoot for As. But there are risk management and stage planning reasons that tend to force some non As as a prudent strategy. Plus human imperfection causes more non As too.

Try to shoot 90 to 95%of the available points.

Say we have a 20 round stage. That's 100 possible points. You could allow for 2-5 Cs, the rest As, and that would be 90 to 96% of the available points. Still doesn't happen sometimes.

That's for Minor. Major can have literally twice as many Cs and still get that percentage of available points.

Mr_White
05-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Practiscore is so weird. Some matches you can see hits and some you don't. Couldn't find anything from nationals but found this from area 6.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/F075AED7-ABF3-4E83-AA2B-7B8A9FC98AF0_zpsnfktqajw.png (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/F075AED7-ABF3-4E83-AA2B-7B8A9FC98AF0_zpsnfktqajw.png.html)

Looks roughly 20% C's. I know because of how we score in uspsa you can't simply say shoot 20% C's and the rest A's, time is also somewhat important :)

Does that mean even the top of the top take some C's every time? Do you think it was a situation where time was better spent flinging a C vs taking the time for an A, or is any C simply a missed A?

The USPSA website has the whole breakdown of As, Bs, Cs, etc, take a look there for this.

Cs are missed As, they are shooting on the move or into/out of position, they are staying away from no-shoots or hardcover, they are simply harder shots like with distance or swingers. Yes the best shoot Cs, Ds, misses like everyone else. But way less, and much faster than everyone else.

BN
05-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Try to shoot 90 to 95%of the available points.

This is what I have always heard.

Luke
05-16-2016, 08:12 PM
So I read on Enos a way to find out the percentage of A's shot. I'm dumb so this may be normal math for people lol

Say you shot 120 A's 5 B's 23 C's and 1 D. You add all the shots up (149) and then decide the number of A's into that number.

120/149=.805 or 80%! My simple mind is easily amused.

JAD
05-16-2016, 09:09 PM
That's not math, it's arithmetic. I know, because I can do arithmetic, but I have to hire people to do math.

wtturn
05-20-2016, 04:01 PM
I don't think in terms of ratios of As and Cs. I want to shoot around 95% of the total available points.

Shooting minor, that means I have to hit mostly As. I'm going to at least make an effort to hit an Alpha on every single shot, even though I'm going to hedge my bets in certain situations by avoiding hard cover or a no-shoot penalty. That means I may aim right at the A/C perf in some situations.

Don't get wrapped around the axle with arbitrary numbers. Go out and shoot alphas the vast majority of the time and it'll take care of itself.

SLG
05-20-2016, 04:25 PM
I thought A's was a euphemism. never mind...:-)