PDA

View Full Version : Looser but not longer shirts?

HCountyGuy
05-13-2016, 10:11 PM
If this doesn't particularly go in this sub-forum, feel free to flog me and move it where appropriate.

I've recently stepped up a size in my shirts to aid in concealing my firearm. However, I'm not particularly fond of the increased length of the shirts which come down to my mid-thigh. My torso happens to be slightly shorter and my legs fairly lengthy.

That being said, I'm looking for recommendations on where to browse for some apparel which would be more accommodating without feeling as though I'm trying to look "hood".

Wondering Beard
05-14-2016, 03:25 AM
Maybe the sonoran shirts (http://www.thewilderness.com/sonoran-shirts/) from The Wilderness?

I can't tell from the photos of they would fit you but they may.

They introduce new patterns every so often, so if you don't like what you see now, you may like one later.

LSP972
05-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Most shirts you'll just have to have shortened/hemmed. Remember that you want the bottom of the shirt no longer than your wrist, when your arms are hanging straight down. This is VERY important, for a quick presentation.

Look up guyaberra (sp?) shirts, hawaian shirts, 5.11 "covert" shirts, etc., etc. Also, Academy Sports has some Magellan brand shirts (some are called "fishing shirts") that are super comfortable and look nice when ironed slightly.

GJM
05-14-2016, 07:01 AM
If you are referring to a shirt covering a pistol, it then becomes equipment.

You want to use the same guidelines as a woman selecting a skirt -- long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting..... I mean fast.

Yesterday, when passing Target, which is Gabe's equipment provider, I was tempted to go in with him and have him show me equipment, but we were hungry and went directly to lunch.

serialsolver
05-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Fishing shirts are my daily wear. Magellan has some lose fit shirts that maybe what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookie Monster
05-14-2016, 08:17 AM
I'd second getting the shirts you like hemmed. Real easy and probably inexpensive, I've done it myself so I don't know the cost but any alterations place would do it.

Mr_White
05-14-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm sure their suitability is person-dependent, but I have been using the C9 Champion line of shirts from Target for several years. I can post pictures later on (or just look at basically any of my shooting videos, that's all I wear besides one work shirt for the range.) I use the t-shirt and the solid color golf polo. "Slovenly golfer" look FTW.

http://m.target.com/p/men-s-golf-polo/-/A-17035270

http://m.target.com/p/c9-champion-men-s-tech-t-shirt/-/A-16811650

I think those are the ones but I'm on my phone, and I bought most of my shirts several years ago and they may have changed a little since then. But for me, they do exactly what you are talking about - loose enough, but not too long. The stretchy "performance fabric" really helps their functionality too.

JustOneGun
05-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Changing shirts can be a pain. Finding what works for you is so personal that it's tough to fix. And once you fix it do you buy all new shirts? I recently switched to button up shirts for a non-ccw reason. The length can make consistent draws difficult.

I am pondering switching back to tucking them in. That creates a consistent drape no matter the shirt. But it does make practicing a lot slower. Equipment wise it just requires a new holster versus a new wardrobe.

Shoot: I have an unopened package containing a JMCK George waiting for me at home when I'm done with my travels. Already I'm contemplating another one. I've got to stay off the equipment forum.

MGW
05-14-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm a tight wad and hate spending money on clothes. I usually hit the bargain racks at the end of the season to find my clothes. I also hate ugly clothes and I'm really picky about the way things fit. It's a curse really.

I really like the length of Columbia cotton short sleeve button down shirts. Not on sale they are way over priced. I can usually find XLs on sale in the fall though. I'm usually a large. My issue with them is they shrink like crazy and also wrinkle a lot when laundered. I think if you go up a size and don't mind ironing they might be an option.

I'll have to stop in to Academy and try on a couple of those Magellan fishing shirts. The Carhartt shirts they stock look really good but are to long. If I could catch them on sale I would be willing to pay a couple bucks to have them hemmed.

Never thought about looking at Target. I guess the plus of shopping there is I don't have to decide which bathroom to use.

1911Nut
05-14-2016, 03:33 PM
UnderArmor polo shirts fit me just right for CCW, and the tail hangs evenly with my wrists when my arms are in the relaxed position. I am 6'2" tall, weigh 215, and wear a Sixe XL. The UnderArmor "Heat Gear" button front shirts fit the same way.

RevolverRob
05-14-2016, 04:31 PM
It's going to sound all snarky but...lift weights. Seriously, even a once a week session of basic chest/incline chest presses and some rowing machine with tone your upper torso, allowing your older shirts to "drape" more effectively for concealment, with no need to hem or find shorter shirts.

-Rob

Jay Cunningham
05-14-2016, 04:48 PM
http://www.untuckit.com

They don't make tactical shirts for gunslingers. They do make shirts that are the proper length to wear untucked without looking like a slob. May be helpful.

Jay585
05-14-2016, 06:09 PM

They don't make tactical shirts for gunslingers. They do make shirts that are the proper length to wear untucked without looking like a slob. May be helpful.

Do you own any of their apparel? If so, can you tell us where the shirts are made?

Jay Cunningham
05-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Do you own any of their apparel? If so, can you tell us where the shirts are made?

Can't help you, sorry.

I was thinking about picking up a couple of their button down shirts, but not for tactical operational reasons.

oldtexan
05-14-2016, 07:28 PM
I have several RJC brand Hawaiian shirts. I get them from amazon. Have worn them for years. Prices run from mid 30s to about 50, made in Hawaii. The ones I get are all cotton, in various patterns that conceal a gun well and allow a smooth drawstroke, with a hem that falls right around my wrist. My chest is 46", I'm 5'10" tall, with a 34-35" sleeve length, and I get the XXL in regular length. I like them to fit very loose. Works great.

23JAZ
05-14-2016, 08:37 PM
You want to use the same guidelines as a woman selecting a skirt -- long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting..... .

Thats great! I love it!

23JAZ
05-14-2016, 08:41 PM

Untuckit shirts are great! If they weren't so fuckin expensive that would be all I wear. Seriously great shirt for hiding a gun, but ridiculously over priced.

Stumpnav
05-14-2016, 08:43 PM
I have found the polo type shirts from Duluth Trading to be shorter than most.

JAD
05-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Land's End's traditional fit polos are perfect for me (38R, 32 waist, 5'10") with respect to the OP's desired characteristics. They often have good patterns.

LHS
05-15-2016, 12:32 AM
I'll second the Wilderness Sonoran Shirts. I own several and they are cut a little more generously to aid concealment.

JTQ
05-15-2016, 06:32 AM
I'll second the Wilderness Sonoran Shirts. I own several and they are cut a little more generously to aid concealment.
I don't have any first hand experience with the Sonoran shirts, but have "window shopped" them a bit. As a short guy, one of the first things I noticed in their write up, is they say they are longer than the typical Hawaiian shirt.

Wondering Beard
05-15-2016, 08:28 AM
I don't have any first hand experience with the Sonoran shirts, but have "window shopped" them a bit. As a short guy, one of the first things I noticed in their write up, is they say they are longer than the typical Hawaiian shirt.

Its going to depend on body type, but on me (6'3") they go down just far enough to cover the clip of a folding knife but no further.

I like the Vertx polos for the same reason though they are a bit slimmer (sonoran shirts are wide the same way guayaberas and Hawaiian shirts are wide).

breakingtime91
05-15-2016, 08:59 AM
I like old navy button downs. Short enough to not looks sloppy, hang generously (especially if you work on you chest, which means the shirt hangs even more, and just long enough to tuck if you have to. I wear the long sleeve most of the year and short sleeve for summer.

Ntexwheels
05-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Another one here that likes the Magellan shirts from Academy. Comfortable and long wearing. I have a couple of them are over 2 years old and still show no appreciable wear.

breakingtime91
05-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Another one here that likes the Magellan shirts from Academy. Comfortable and long wearing. I have a couple of them are over 2 years old and still show no appreciable wear.

that is exactly what I look for in my clothes. I find American Eagle khakis work well in this regard and fit nice when I pick the loose fitting option. I have tried some fancier pants but old navy tops and american eagle pants/shorts work well for me.

ranger
05-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Kohls. They have multiple versions of button front short sleeve shirts designed to be worn untucked. Some are solid colors, some are "Hawaiian" type, some have patterns. If you wait until the end of the season, they seem to almost pay you to take them away with discounts, "Kohls bucks", coupons etc. They are great for GA summers and I if I get gun oil, etc. on one no great loss. They are cheaper than t-shirts! Same with 'golf" polo style shirts at Kohls.

JTQ
05-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Its going to depend on body type, but on me (6'3") they go down just far enough to cover the clip of a folding knife but no further.

No doubt.

The key thing is the OP is complaining about the normal shirts he's using are too long for him. Choosing a shirt advertised as longer than normal, may not be the best option. However, if those who have used them, feel The Wilderness write up is in error, that would be valuable information for the OP. At 6' 3", I suspect your normal shopping includes "tall" sizes. Something cut longer would be a good choice for you.

I've recently stepped up a size in my shirts to aid in concealing my firearm. However, I'm not particularly fond of the increased length of the shirts which come down to my mid-thigh. My torso happens to be slightly shorter and my legs fairly lengthy.

Wondering Beard
05-15-2016, 10:42 AM
You may be right, which is why I included my height.

On the other hand, Michael bane (not a terribly tall guy) likes his. I think they're cut to do what I describe on any size but since I only have experience with my size .. you know what I'm getting at :-).

Glenn E. Meyer
05-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Ditto on the Magellans from Academy. Not expensive. I like Academy, I got my IDPA 'vest' from them on sale. $15 bucks as compared to some fancy pants vest.

Surf
05-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Welcome to my world. I am 5'10" ~ 215lbs with arms / upper torso that isn't exactly long. I wear an XL to XXL but am usually killed by the length especially from the XL stepping into XXL sizing. I am generally XXL, but again the length is often a big difference.

I have found for a polo the Sport Tek by Port Authority, the Blackhawk Warrior Wear and I now also use the LAPG tactical operator (some bullshit name) polo fits well. For button ups, I have found Alpine Design to fit well. I also use a variety of Aloha shirts which are common in my area.

As has been mentioned, hemming can be your friend. I bought the wife a sewing machine but I learned to use it. Short torso and 30" inseam and knowing how to run a sewing machine helps. ;)

WoodLark
05-15-2016, 03:51 PM
I also like the Magellan fishing shirts, but I recently bought some "Batik Print" shirts from Haband. They make great concealment shirts and my wife loves the way they launder. I haven't had them long enough to report how long they will last, but they are very inexpensive.

LSP972
05-15-2016, 06:53 PM
It's going to sound all snarky but...lift weights. Seriously, even a once a week session of basic chest/incline chest presses and some rowing machine with tone your upper torso, allowing your older shirts to "drape" more effectively for concealment, with no need to hem or find shorter shirts.

-Rob

The only people who don't need to hem are those who are the proper height/torso length. Most folks are either too short or too tall. Too tall, they need a larger shirt… which is now, usually too far down. So it needs to shortened/hemmed.

Too short (like me) the shirt tail is down around your pockets… so it needs to be shortened/hemmed.

Yes, getting one's chest a bit more expanded does make the shirt drape better… but if the bottom of the shirt is longer than one's wrist, you will NOT have easy access to your piece for good, quick presentations.

Period.

DMF13
05-15-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm sure their suitability is person-dependent, but I have been using the C9 Champion line of shirts from Target for several years. +1

I frequently wear the Champion C9 t-shirts and polo shirts, that are essentially copies of the UA stuff. Started buying them simply because the UA stuff was outrageously expensive.

In a shirt that fits "perfect" when not trying to hide a gun, I actually think the t-shirts are a little too short, but when going up a size to hide a gun, the length is perfect for me.

I too am someone who also fits the description of, "my torso happens to be slightly shorter and my legs fairly lengthy."

DMF13
05-15-2016, 11:46 PM
The only people who don't need to hem are those who are the proper height/torso length. Most folks are either too short or too tall. Too tall, they need a larger shirt… which is now, usually too far down. So it needs to shortened/hemmed.

Too short (like me) the shirt tail is down around your pockets… so it needs to be shortened/hemmed.

Yes, getting one's chest a bit more expanded does make the shirt drape better… but if the bottom of the shirt is longer than one's wrist, you will NOT have easy access to your piece for good, quick presentations.

Period.

.+1

Even at my most fit, with slightly more than a 12" difference between my chest and waist measurement, I still had to be careful in the clothing I chose to hide the gun, while still making the draw quick and sure.

For most it's a bit more complicated than merely having a big chest, shoulders, back, and small waist. It certainly helps (a lot), but it is not a cure all.

TAZ
05-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Untuckit shirts are great! If they weren't so fuckin expensive that would be all I wear. Seriously great shirt for hiding a gun, but ridiculously over priced.

Holy crap batman. Understatement of the year. $70+ for a shirt. I'm in the wrong business.

I've used Walmart Gerorge branded sueded button downs. $9 or so. Last pretty well. Haggar brand button downs $12 @ outlet. Every once in a while I find 511 cover shirts on sale for $20 or so @ LAPG. Also used the LAPG branded conceal carry shirts. I'm stocky so most anything loose fitting enough to not print runs a bit long on me. Haven't really had issues with the draw stroke. I might try my luck at hemming a shirt.

orionz06
05-16-2016, 09:56 AM
I think if y'all expanded the store selection to places other than Walmart and prices above $10 there might be some better fits.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Drang
05-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Old Navy rugby shirts.

LHS
05-16-2016, 02:29 PM

They come down right about to my wrists when my arms hang loosely.

voodoo_man
05-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Havn't posted in this and wanted to get to the mall grab a bunch of take some selfies with various types of shirts to demonstrate but time constraints messed that up today...

I have had great success with polo shirts of various brands and makes, you have to really go through a bunch of them to find out which are the better ones. I have two Polo Brand polo shirts that have nice holes in them where they rub up against my rear sight on my aiwb glock.

Button down shirts are my "go to" and I make sure to buy the cheapest possible as long as they fit properly. I have had great success at Sears and Macy's buying "on sale" short sleeve button down shirts that are designed to be worn untucked. As long as they aren't "fitting" style they should work fine, and the thinner material the better.

I normally leave the last center button unbuttoned for easy draw access.

Also something to consider. If you buy cheap button downs, get some small fishing weights and pop the stitches on the front bottom area and sow them into place. when you draw it'll throw the front shirt tail up forcefully, giving you enough room.

TAZ
05-18-2016, 08:56 AM
I think if y'all expanded the store selection to places other than Walmart and prices above $10 there might be some better fits.

LOL. Quite true. However some of us (read that as I) refuse to spend on high dollar clothes that are disposable items, especially when a cheaper alternative works. Clothes just ain't my thing. If it isn't on sale it isn't coming home.

orionz06
05-18-2016, 09:30 AM
The issue is perspective. No one needs to spend $100 on a shirt but maybe venturing out of Walmart will yield a little more success.

StrikerFire
05-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Plaid Wrangler shirts. Cheap. Plaid is grey man, CHL camo: http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=wrangler%20plaid%20shirt

Bowler shirts/Retro Shirts: http://www.daddyos.com/retro/hob18.html

Wayne Dobbs
05-18-2016, 11:31 AM
I've worn several different brands of untucked style shirts for years and have had good luck with Columbia (outlet in my town which makes it nice), Kohl's bargain shirts, 5.11 coverts and 5.11 polos (my favorite).

23JAZ
05-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Holy crap batman. Understatement of the year. $70+ for a shirt. I'm in the wrong business.

Oh I see you found some of their shirts on sale!:rolleyes:

TAZ
05-18-2016, 01:01 PM
This is mostly what I wear.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/George-Men-s-Short-Sleeve-Microfiber-Shirt/46597924

Like I stated. Clothes aren't my thing to spend cash on. I work in an environment where my clothes can get trashed quick sometimes so to me they are disposable items.

Le Français
05-18-2016, 01:39 PM
The 5.11 button-front shirts designed for CC seem well made to me, and their fit is on the large side. They work very well when I do wear them, which isn't often as I like a more fitted look.

Side note: The term "button-down" refers to the collar of a shirt, not the front of the shirt. There seems to be some lack of knowledge on that point :-)

JTQ
05-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Side note: The term "button-down" refers to the collar of a shirt, not the front of the shirt. There seems to be some lack of knowledge on that point :-)
I've done a double-take every time somebody has said "button-down", then realizing they certainly must mean button front.

Greg
05-19-2016, 07:46 AM
I have become pretty fond of these Coolmax blended shirts from Cabelas. You don't need to iron them and they dry extremely fast. The pattern helps hide any printing as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1920688&destination=/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1920689&type=product&searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080% 26CQ_refinements%3D%257Ec1%253DClothing%257Ec2%253 DMen%252527s%252BCasual%252BClothing%257Ec3%253DMe n%252527s%252BCasual%252BShirts%26CQ_search%3Dcool max%26CQ_st%3Db

Tokarev
03-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Anyone give Untuckit another try?

Looking for a shirt that's long enough to "just" cover a pistol for use in IDPA.

No doubt they're expensive but the price might be worth it. Less ridiculous that the usual fishing vest and probably faster than a big baggy cover shirt or an untucked t-shirt that I normally use.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
03-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Slight lane veer but glad you brought this topic back up Tok, now back to your question.

Hot Sauce
03-25-2017, 07:07 PM
As others have said, tailoring is your friend. The other option, of course, is figuring out what brand of shirts works well for you. After I found Nike Dri-FIT and Delta shirts, that's most of what I get. Sometimes there are variances, but mostly I can buy what I've determined is my size on the internet and it fits.

You can also check out a discount retailer such as Nordstrom Rack or Burlington Coat Factory. Just go in and try stuff on until you find what you're looking for. If you don't find anything, you can come back in a few weeks and there will be a bunch of new/different items. The likelihood that you won't be able to find something good after a few trips is low. Wear your gear like on any other normal day, and you'll see how it conceals right there in the mirror.

All of this applies equally whether we're talking t-shirts, polos, or button ups.

Most shirts you'll just have to have shortened/hemmed. Remember that you want the bottom of the shirt no longer than your wrist, when your arms are hanging straight down. This is VERY important, for a quick presentation.This is a good rule of thumb (or wrist, as it were).

For me, I like when t-shirts hang right around/above where the hot dog attaches to the pubic bone. Sorry to get graphic, boys and girls. When doing very aggressive draws, I can practically slap myself in that region while trying to get a hold of my shirt, and nothing detrimental happens. When I have shirts that are a little longer than that, I have sometime tapped myself in the balls. Gets old very quickly.

After seeing what LSP972 wrote, I stood upright and checked out where my wrist falls. Guess what, right in the same place I was talking about liking my t-shirts, on my body anyway.

I normally leave the last center button unbuttoned for easy draw access.This is certainly an option. The other option is to get a snap button sewn in underneath the last button. So it looks like shirt is buttoned normally, but the tails unsnap easy peezy.

LtDave
03-26-2017, 11:34 AM
I would also recommend TheWilderness Sonoran shirts, but they don't have any in stock. They are expensive when they are in stock. I checked a month ago and again just now. No shirts. :-(
The Duluth Trading Polo's are very nice. They run large. I can wear a size smaller than I normally do, but I don't use them untucked.

TGS
03-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Anything hanging mid thigh is an outright liability, IMO. Way too much material that is sure to fumble or otherwise slow your draw.

For polo shirts, I've never had a problem buying whatever and just using it. I usually buy my polos at Kohl's like someone else mentioned. I've found that t-shirts and polos in the correct size have always concealed better than oversized shirts.

As for button downs, the concealment shirts from 5.11 are a decent option if you carry on the hip. If you are carrying appendix, the absolute best shirt I've found is the Kuhl "Stallion". It's a cotton/poly blend with a little spandex for stretch, and woven in a seersucker sort of fabric. The result is that it doesn't really wrinkle, has a lot of stretch compared to regular cotton/poly button downs which is important for the draw, and is also very, very cool and breathable in warm weather. Compared to everything else I've owned, it is sort of in a league of its own.

The bottom of the shirt is the right length for concealing and still having a clean draw without extraneous material.

http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short-sleeve/stallion/

In any case, button down shirts will need to have some stretch. Poly shirts will typically lack this unless they're woven like the Kuhl Stallion. If it's too pricy, try to stick with cotton or wool lumberjack type shirts....That's what I do for the winter.

Mirolynmonbro
03-27-2017, 08:22 AM
I was going to recommend the kuhl shirts too. My problem with most button down shirts is the back hem is too long and gets caught on my glutes when I pull my shirt up to draw from AIWB. The kuhl shirt's hem is even all the way around and pulls up like a t-shirt. I found some on sale

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
03-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Been wearing different 5.11 casual shirts for 5+ years, both for after work & also the older ones in matches.

I like the button snaps in front, since I went to AIWB sev. yrs ago even more so now & also used the inside pockets for cash when traveling.

You can find them @ 20-25% off on 5/11 days direct from 5.11, which is their annual sale date.

tmoore912
03-29-2017, 07:53 PM
I have become pretty fond of these Coolmax blended shirts from Cabelas. You don't need to iron them and they dry extremely fast. The pattern helps hide any printing as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1920688&destination=/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1920689&type=product&searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080% 26CQ_refinements%3D%257Ec1%253DClothing%257Ec2%253 DMen%252527s%252BCasual%252BClothing%257Ec3%253DMe n%252527s%252BCasual%252BShirts%26CQ_search%3Dcool max%26CQ_st%3Db

Greg What body type are you? What size fits you best. Those would be nice for Savannah in the summer as long as they don't have a tailored fit.

Greg
03-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Tmoore - I wear an XL, 6 foot 215 lbs.

They are not tapered in the waist if that is what you mean by tailoring.

TAZ
03-30-2017, 03:43 PM
In tradition with my cheap skate clothing habits, I've also had success with Champion brand of polo shirts at Target. Round $20 -$25 each.