View Full Version : Wildcat brainstorm

OlongJohnson
05-13-2016, 09:01 PM
8mm SSC (Single Stack Carry)
or
8x(whatever)
or
.32 Carbine Short

Before anyone says this belongs in the ammo/reloading forum, I put it here because the idea is about the pistol that would be enabled by the round, not the round itself.

Basic idea:
Many states limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Carrying a double-stack frame with a magazine blocked to neuter it is silly and annoying. It would be better to carry a single-stack frame and gain a less printy grip. However, the 9mm single-stacks are all limited to 9 or fewer rounds, which is aggravatingly non-optimized.

A potential solution is a smaller-diameter cartridge. Unfortunately, most of the .32 caliber (.312 bullet diameter) cartridges are evolved from the black powder era, and operate at very low pressures, such as 11-14ksi. Most of them are rimmed, too. This includes .32 S&W Long, .32 Auto, etc. These just don’t get the pressure up, and they use too-light bullets. They are in serious danger of not getting the job done when needed.

It would seem that a cartridge using the 100-115 grain .312 bullets made for the .32 H&R and .327 Federal Magnum at velocities on par with (maybe midway between) the two from a four-inch barrel semi-auto should be pretty effective. Bullets made for the .327 FM expand well and can withstand impact at high velocities. The 100 grain sectional density is slightly greater than 124 grain 9mm bullets, and 115 grain is slightly greater than 147 grain 9mm. These should compare reasonably well in terminal effectiveness to 9mm, while being slightly flatter shooting. Perhaps a little more muzzle blast on short-barreled pistols, but likely less than .40S&W. You should be able to go with overall length similar to a .45 ACP. Smaller diameter with this length should feed super-reliably.

The .30 Carbine is SAAMI rated to 40ksi, nearly double the .32 H&R and nearly matching the .327 FM. It’s a longer, slightly tapered case that fires a .308 bullet. The rim diameter is ~.030” smaller than a 9x19 rim. Times 9, that frees up ~0.27” of space in the stack. Add about 0.10” and you have your tenth round. Some of that should be possible to organize at the top of the magazine, since the bore and cases are slightly smaller and the top-most round can ride higher in the frame. So basically, in the same grip geometry as 9 rounds of 9mm, you should be able to fit 10 rounds of this new cartridge.

Basically, trim the .30 Carbine case to whatever works out to be the desired length, then ream and/or expand it to fit the .312 bullets. The taper should mean that as it’s shortened, the diameter opens up and minimal reaming is required to gain the 0.004” necessary. This may be subject to the walls growing in thickness below the original bullet seating region, in which case more reaming, and perhaps a custom reamer to avoid a sharp step, would be required. Consider trimming a few thousandths (0.005” total, or 0.0025”/side) off the rim to ensure reliable, smooth feeding with no rims getting caught on each other.

To make the most of it would require a pistol designed around it, rather than adapted from existing models. I’d settle for DAO with restrike capability. A simple DAO, if it was very smooth and broke cleanly, would suffice, but an LEM/DAK type enhanced DAO would obviously be better. Use a 3.5-4” barrel. The barrel itself could be thinner-walled to hold the pressure with the smaller bore diameter, multiplying the slimming effect. The slide and frame could be fitted around the slimmer barrel, further enhancing concealability and carrying comfort in an IWB mode. The grip could be full-size from the side, but very slim to minimize printing. Focus on keeping it slim, kinda like the old S&W 39xx third-gens, but the DAO versions without the control lever warts.

A double-stack version may be able to get to the higher round counts, like 18 or 20, in a standard grip size without extended base plates.

It seems like the sort of project that would be ideally taken on by a partnership such as Ruger and Hornady, as they have had good success with the .204 Ruger and .375 Ruger cartridges already.

An extra-credit project for builders in free states might be to double-stack these rounds in a standard 1911 Officer frame.

I don't have the resources to make a complete, clean-sheet pistol design happen, so I thought I'd just leave this here and let people talk about it, hoping maybe someone who can do something cool sees it.

Hauptmann
05-13-2016, 09:19 PM
It's a good idea and I've thought that a higher pressure 8mm would be an ideal caliber for a .380acp action such that you could have a powerful enough cartridge to meet FBI specs in JHP form, and achieve a double stack magazine capacity.

As far as a more powerful 8mm, the Belgians came up with the 7.92x24mm in recent years as a PDW caliber which seems to fit your specs. Its parent cartridge is the .30 Carbine. Its military specs are for an armor piercing config, but it could easily be setup with a JHP.

Stumpnav
05-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Intriguing idea. I like the performance of the 327. Ruger applied this concept with the LCR. Fit 6 rds of 327 in a frame made for the 357 (5 rds).

New cartridges don't often fare well so there's that hurdle to get over.

OlongJohnson
05-13-2016, 09:45 PM
As far as a more powerful 8mm, the Belgians came up with the 7.92x24mm in recent years as a PDW caliber which seems to fit your specs. Its parent cartridge is the .30 Carbine. Its military specs are for an armor piercing config, but it could easily be setup with a JHP.

That's exactly the same as my outline above.

http://www.thefullwiki.org/7.92x24mm

http://www.vbr-belgium.be/

Unfortunately, the VBR people seem to be falling victim to the need to be smarter than everybody else about every topic. So they are brainstorming all these "revolutionary" projectiles that are supposed to be game changers, and pushing the cartridge with the projectile technologies, but in the end they have no chance of displacing the established technology. As you pointed out, most of their projectiles are legally classified as "armor-piercing" in the US. They seem to have failed to embrace suitable examples of established expanding projectile technology. They also want to have every existing weapon rechambered to work with their new cartridge, when the only thing that makes it interesting to me is the possibility of a firearm specifically designed around it.

What sucks is that they may have patented the design (shortening an existing case to make a wildcat has been done so many thousands of times it should not be patentaable anywhere in the world), thus preventing anyone else from doing anything good with it and ensuring its eventual end as an asterisk in history known only to severely geeky gun guys.

oldtexan
05-15-2016, 05:00 PM
The old 7.65x20mm Longue cartridge may meet the OP's requirements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.65%C3%9720mm_Longue

TiroFijo
05-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Yet another cartridge? Looks like you are trying to get something like this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050517011749/uncyclopedia/images/c/c0/Square-wheel.jpg

OlongJohnson
05-15-2016, 10:13 PM
The old 7.65x20mm Longue cartridge may meet the OP's requirements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.65%C3%9720mm_Longue

Bullet is .309. Might as well just make it a .308 at that point, except there are not a lot of pistol bullets that will expand effectively at pistol speeds in that bore diameter. A .312 bore means you can use standard, .32 caliber (.312 diameter) bullets, which are readily available.

pangloss
05-15-2016, 10:55 PM
If I remember correctly, in the late 1980s, Federal made the 9mm Federal which was essentially a rimmed 9mm for use in revolvers (no moon clip required). With this in mind, why not just make the .327 Federal rimless and use that for a single stack pistol? The only down side I can come up with right now is that extraction might be difficult with a straight-walled case that functions at that pressure.

OlongJohnson
05-16-2016, 12:30 AM
The .327 Federal is 1.47 inch COAL. The .45 ACP is 1.275 inch COAL. So you'd have a packaging issue to start with. Grip would get long in a fore-aft sense. Also, a defensive round doesn't need the power of a .327 Federal, and the blast could be excessive with a 3.5-4 inch barrel. Finally, it's a lot easier to shorten a case than to stick it in a lathe and cut a groove in it. There may be issues with the internal geometry and wall thickness in the region of the groove - not saying there are, but it's an unknown to me at this point. An average experienced reloader could modify the .30 Carbine cases. Converting rimmed to rimless requires equipment to which most people don't have access.

OlongJohnson
05-16-2016, 06:00 PM
It was late and I was tired. Maybe didn't read enough. Have googled some more.

Found this:
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5691

The VBR-B 7.92x24mm caliber is at first developed in Belgium by Rik Van Bruaene on 14 April 2005 with as main goal a new defense cartridge for the typical PDW use.
The first offical pressure measurements and shooting test where carried out at the belgian Proof House for Firearms at Liege on 31 October 2006.
The cartridge is presented for C.I.P. homologation.
The 7.92 VBR-B cartridge makes use of a special projectile technology which is patented in Belguim by the Belgiun patent BE 1015378.Also other existing standard bullets can be loaded on the 7.92x24mm cases.
Different arms manufactures have already started an investigation to make a 7.92x24mm conversion set for there own weapons. The evolution of these weapons and ammunition can be followed at the website vbr-belgium.be
Next to the 7.92x24mm VBR-Belgium makes armor piercing bullets in the most common calibers like 9x19 , .357 SIG , .40 S&W and .45 Auto

The implication being that the patent applies only to the AP projectile, not the wildcat itself.

I didn't realize how old the project is. Most of the information about it that I can find on Google seems to be from 2008-2009. I'm sure VBR would love to get a big order for systems, but I doubt they are expecting that any time soon.

The OCD monkey is back on my shoulder. As if anyone needs an excuse to buy a Thompson Contender to do wildcat research with...

Tuesday
05-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Seems like a lot of work to get an extra round into a single-stack service pistol when you can just buy a Glock 26 or M&P9c or use 10 round 9mm mags for the 1911 if you don't want to rely on manufacturers to go through the simple and reliable procedure of blocking off their standard-cap mags.

Not that I don't like the idea. I was thinking of something similar, but for different reasons and with a 7mm cartridge based on the 5.7x28mm. Like a shortened version of the 7mm Penna running a 95gr bullet at 1000 ft/s, roughly the equivalent of a 147gr 9mm in velocity and sectional density. It was going to be for my polymer-framed revival of the H&K P7. But I've put that on hold after seeing that Hornady's .25 ACP XTPs seem to expand reliably and penetrate to 11 inches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GoKCJVv6cg

Probably easier to get the law changed than to get a new round into wide acceptance, too.